How Sad Not to be Identified!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by dizzyme, Apr 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM.

1. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Just came across this burial in the Parish records for Blackpool, South Shore, Lancashire in 1848.
    Burial - Ocean Monach.JPG

The Ocean Monarch set sail from Liverpool on 28 Aug 1848 but once out of the harbour, a blaze started on board and it sunk with a loss of 178 lives. This poor lady was one of them! But I'm amazed that she wasn't able to be identified and a extended family found for her.... Very sad!!

Think the last word maybe 'harp' so a harp signet type ring, which could point to her being Irish.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

The date and departure port would be consistent with her bring Irish, but I think the last word is actually 'hoop'.

kernowmaid, Ma-dotcom and dizzyme like this.
  5. dizzyme

That was my initial thinking but then thought it was an unusual description for a ring.

6. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure either (I also wondered about 'keep'), but I checked in the OED and a (kind of) ring is one of the standard definitions of 'hoop'.

dizzyme likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not sure but I think a hoop is a band with stones set low into the metal as opposed to sitting high from the ring.

dizzyme and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I came across the Ocean Monarch in 2016 when researching one of my 'own' at St. Bart's, Thurstaston. The unidentified body from the wreck was a small child and it had quite an effect on me at the time:

It is hard not to get involved with other families along the way while searching one's own history, and my eye, as ever, was drawn to a burial recorded in the register at Thurstaston on the same page as baby Elizabeth. It read: The body of a child unknown supposed to be from the wreck of the Ocean Monarch which was burnt. The child had obviously been washed up on Thurstaston beach on the tide. I looked up the Ocean Monarch tragedy. A handsome barque of the White Diamond line based in Massachusetts, she had caught fire and sank off the Great Orme - Abergele Bay in August 1848, just after leaving port at Liverpool en route back to Boston. Flames were seen to be licking the back of the vessel as she raised her distress flag and tried to return to port. Ships in the area came to her aid and picked up passengers, but as she went down around a hundred and seventy eight of the three hundred and ninety eight people on board were lost.

One of the passengers was a woman travelling to America with her three children to join her husband in a new life - all three children perished.

In recent weeks there was another tragedy off the North Wales coast - our local RNLI were involved in the search. The sea takes and it gives back - again one casualty came ashore at Blackpool, another in the Dee estuary. It made me think of the Ocean Monarch again.

dizzyme, Daft Bat, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  10. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This letter which appeared in the Bolton Chronicle newspaper is very harrowing
    Bolton Chronicle 9th September 1848
    LOSS OF THE OCEAN MONARCH To the Editor of the Bolton Chronicle.
    Sir, In order that your readers may be informed of the disasters attending the loss The Ocean Monarch, I hasten to lay before you the following information: At six o’clock this (Friday) morning I went on the shore at Blackpool, the tide being at its height at half past seven, during which time I saw three bodies washed up, all women: one with a silk dress on; the second with a plaid mourning dress on, wedding ring, and hoop, I should say a rather expensive one; the third was dressed like an Irish reaper girl, with a straw hat and waistcoat, and in this instance the woman seems to have been delivered of a child, either at the time or after the accident took place. For an hour the body might be seen floating, and a bird picking on the top of it, only moving from it when it saw a breaker ahead, and it continued to do so until within a few yards of the beach. The baby seemed to be quite perfect. There were also two bodies taken up last night, making five in number; and one seems to coming up now us the coach is starting for Lytham (half past nine). A lady who was with me at the time the woman with the wedding ring and hoop was taken says, that from the description given, she will prove to the woman whose children were saved, and saw their mother drowned and floating amongst the wreck. Being at Lytham now, I hear that there has been two taken up, a man and a woman. The man now lying in an out-house belonging to the Clifton Arms, and is very much disfigured. More are expected by the next tide.
    l beg to remain yours, truly, Jno. Nicholson Clifton Arms, Lytham
    Quarter to 12 o’clock am Sept 8th

Ma-dotcom, dizzyme, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  11. Bay Horse

@dizzyme Just reading through the article again on Old Mersey Times which goes into some detail about those recovered from the beach at Blackpool. It's a very good article.

Code:
    www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/OCEANMONARCH.html
    You'll notice too that many of the 'missing' list had Irish surnames.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    Ma-dotcom, dizzyme, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  12. Bay Horse

I remember the account of that poor woman. :(

dizzyme and AnnB like this.
  13. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

So tragic.... I can't hit the "like". I have read about bodies washing up in the Thames when searching Gravesend parishes, but this is over-whelming.

dizzyme, Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  14. dizzyme

Truly shocking and immensely sad to read all those names! Shame that the initials on the wedding ring didn't correlate to a name of a missing passenger.
    At least, we've read their story and remembered them here...

AnnB, Ma-dotcom, LianeH and 5 others like this.
  15. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Another sad happening is when you see a burial entry where the person is said to be an itinerant or traveller and there's no name attached to the entry, it seems so shocking that someone could die with nobody to mourn them or even know they are dead.

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.