Hurry up and wait

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by GrannyBarb, May 12, 2019.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Yes, I was referring to you..glad you haven't had to send them any money. So frustrating for those of us over the ocean when they have limited areas that they will send stuff to.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Progress! I still haven't contacted the NLS about that book. We've had some family drama and missed housework that needed doing. I'm almost caught up (but never totally done - just like genie research)! ;)

So last nite, it occurred to me to see if there was another copy of the book available online. Um, yup - on foreign language pay sites. :headbang: After some more searching and following links, I came across ANOTHER BOOK, co-authored by my Alexander Stewart with his brother, John Stewart! Got a pdf download! It's published in 1817, and is mostly poems by John about Waterloo and similar topics. In the back he added some "letter to the editor" style writings by Alex, who is deceased. After that is a one-page mini-bio of Alex that is short on specific dates and places, but gives some clues. It seems the book was sold by subscription, and that page was a teaser for a new edition with a complete bio. :sceptical:

I've got some new digging to do. Trying not to go crazy with my Scotlands People credits. I may ask for help once I've got some of these new hints sorted.

There goes any housework for a few days! :reading:

3. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

Good Luck :)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Onward and upwards! :)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  5. GrannyBarb

Good news! :) The second book by the brother, John, contains the content of the first book I couldn't view online! I've done some more digging and located another book previously published by John (including a poem by Alex). Some of the explanatory notes detail John's travels and work for the British gov't which line up with some other work by some Stewart researchers.

I've got to go do morning chores (work, work, work), but will come back later with links and a few questions for you.

6. GrannyBarb

Allrightythen, where to start? I'll begin with what I already knew:
    My great-grandfather's mother was Ann "Agnes" Browne nee' Stewart, whose father was Duncan John Stewart (1797-1829). Duncan John's birth record in Balfron, Stirling says his parents were Alexander Stewart (formerly footman of Her Late Highness, Carolina Matilda, Queen of Denmark) and Ann Stewart. He had an older sister, Carolina Matilda, who appears in Agnes's household as Aunt Matilda in 1881. Alex and Ann's 1793 marriage record in Balfron says he's of that parish and Ann Stewart is from Callander, Perthshire.

There is a Stewart research group (US - based, I think) with focus on lines from Balquidder, (our group are listed under Glenbuckie):
    Code:
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~rykbrown/genealogy/glenbuckie.htm
    Use Ctrl+F and search "Denmark." to jump to the generation in question. There is a lot of confusion using "Mitchell's MIs" to describe a grave site about this family. It's listed in multiple places, which tells me that they are not sure where it fits.

This relies heavily on a writing called "Stewarts of the South:"
    Code:
    https://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/history/Stewarts_south.html
    The part of interest here starts at the bottom of "page 31." Use Ctrl+F and search "Denmark." to jump to page 32. This work makes the error of confusing the Queen of Denmark who was the daughter of King George II, with the one who was the Grand-daughter of George II, and was the sister of George III.

There is also an affiliated discussion forum that I attempted to join several years back, but didn't get far with research help from them.

The question that arose from this information is, are the Balquidder / Glenbuckie Stewarts the same as MY Stewarts? To be continued...

7. GrannyBarb

My new finds:
    Code:
    https://books.google.com/books/about/Poems_Chiefly_on_Recent_Public_Events.html?id=Z3lKAQAAMAAJ
    Is the 1817 book by John that contains the reprint of Alex's booklet and the bio - teaser:
    upload_2019-5-22_13-18-54.png
    Hooray! I've never been able to work out the timeline before this:
    It looks like Alex was born about 1742 and died about 1809. He would have served the Danish Queen in his 20's (assuming he was with her at all in Denmark) and was about 33 when she died in Celle. John's other book says he served 5 years in the Navy, and I think I've got it worked out where he was under Admiral Sir George Rodney. Also, from comments in both books, he would have a pension from both his naval service and his time in the royal household.

Stewart's of the South said that John brought up Alex's son, who would be Duncan John Stewart - about age 12 when Alex died.

I'm short on British history, so I had to struggle with the military references, but I think I'm good on those. If anyone can find actual records on Alex's naval service, that would be a bonus (hint, hint).

Next thing is research on John Stewart (who is NOT "the Traveller").
    (not sure my page image worked) :reading:

8. GrannyBarb

Oh, before I get to John Stewart, here are some birth records from Scotland's People (index - I haven't gotten brave enough to use credits to view the originals yet):
    Births:
    STEUART, ALEXANDER DUN. STEUART/JEAN CAMPBEL
    M 24/02/1743
    331/ 10 77 Balquhidder

STEWART, DUNCAN DUNCAN STEWART/JEAN CAMPBELL
    M 02/06/1754
    331/ 10 123 Balquhidder

STEWART, JOHN DUNCAN STEWART/JEAN CAMPBELL
    M 06/04/1746
    331/ 10 90 Balquhidder

STEWART, JEAN DUNCAN STEWART/JEAN CAMPBEL
    F 11/08/1756
    331/ 10 131 Balquhidder

Trying to find the Monumental Inscriptions for Brig O Turk Burial Ground
    Alexander Stewart of Tomnasai
    - Duncan Stewart d. 1760, wife's initials IC (Jean Campbell?)
    - - Alexander
    - - David (Duncan?) died 1786
    - - John

On to John Stewart (really, this time, I promise)!

Ma-dotcom and Dogsday like this.
  9. GrannyBarb

The "Stewarts of the South" work is thought to be from 1815 or so:

Yesterday I found a book here:
    Code:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=H84IAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
    Published in 1800, contains poems and other thoughts from his time with Mr. Dundas, Governor Boyd of Gibraltar, and travels around Europe. There are also a couple of "dueling poems" between he and Alex. They were really worried that the French Revolution was going to spill over across the Channel! Being American, I don't "get" most of the historical references that were current events for them.

Around page 55 of this work, John describes a trip to Florence and Rome that includes a conversation with Prince Charles (Stewart!). Here, John says he was the son of Tom-na-soi, born ten months before Culloden and soon after Falkirk, in the house of Glenbucky! (and his mother of Breadalbane - I need to follow up on that). There is reference to the forfeited estate of Alexander Stewart to the McGregors, which sounds similar to the account in "Stewarts of the South." In various places there is mention that the estates where returned in 1784, but I don't know if MY Alex and John saw benefit of that. (more research, perhaps).

I'm still wrapping my head around all this info. If the Stewarts fought in '45, why would they be so cozy with the British government in 1760's and forward? How would they both get jobs so close to the top? Also, it's really difficult for me, the American, to embrace warm thoughts toward George III - but I'll get over that, I reckon.

I'm curious if there are any records or news accounts about Alex and John, besides what I've got so far - which is considerable more than I did have. Happy camper - but still a little greedy for more!

Thanks for sticking with me this far.

AnnB, Dogsday and Bay Horse like this.
  10. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I'm finding this all very interesting!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  11. Dogsday

You have been busy GB, marvellous

GrannyBarb likes this.
  12. GrannyBarb

I spent the credits on these birth records. All born in Kirkton / Kirktown! I'm claiming them as mine. :)

Also, the reference to Breadalbane belongs to Clan Campbell in the area near Glenorchy - which is the home of Duncan John Stewart's wife, Lilly Buchanan. Her dad was a farmer under Campbell landlords.

I've been spending way too much time getting educated about Pitt and Dundas, but no smoking guns on that. Just loads of history and a little better understanding of general chain of events.

I really do need to finish that blog post on my New Brunswick Puritans and move on down my list of neglected lines - after chores....

13. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

14. Elsiesgirl

Elsiesgirl Well-Known Member

so
    Well done for finding that. You have to have that book. What is the title?

15. Bay Horse

Ah, those Campbells. :) We know Breadalbane area quite well as spent every school holiday up there for years, searching out ruined castles etc. Beautiful, historic part of Scotland.

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  16. GrannyBarb

Here's a contemporary scathing review, that incorporates the title:
    upload_2019-6-3_7-38-33.png
    This is snipped from my research notes - saves a lot of typing! :)

The contents of the book are included in one of the books published by Alexander's brother, John, so I'm not as hot to view a copy as I was. If a free copy fell in my lap, I'd certainly look at it, though. It's really just a pamphlet.

I have to confess that I've become obsessed (sounds like a poem) with these brothers and their line. :reading:

Dogsday, Chimp and Sis like this.
  17. Dogsday

GB you can get the whole book as a PDF with Google Books

Code:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z3lKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=Observations+on+the+Occurrences+from+1794+to+1797&source=bl&ots=uObgz0NlP8&sig=ACfU3U1lY88ebwYbmKW5vZSlfJsDqSHiZw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5qKzBx83iAhUaA2MBHQIzD6cQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Observations on the Occurrences from 1794 to 1797&f=false
    It's free as a downloadable e-book, 105 pages

18. GrannyBarb

Thanks, Dogsday. That's the one that's at the end of his brother's book, not the original that was published pre-1800. ;)

My interest is if there are any more personal nuggets scattered in the original that do not appear in the later copy. John, the brother, makes all sorts of useful comments between his poems - especially in his other book, which was actually published before this one. Thanks for the effort.

Sis and Dogsday like this.
  19. Bay Horse

Ooh yes. I have a book of poetry like this, which turned out to have so much added information about the family. Wish I had more poets.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  20. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Well - not only did I hurry up- I also waited !
    Finally received my email from Suffolk Archive- and it was my Zachariah!
    He had to pay 36 shillings for the "lying in" plus 1 shilling and ninepence per week thereafter.
    Now I know the name of the lady, the fact that she was a widow (helpful!) and the child was female born in a specific parish in August 1807.
    If I get stuck I will be back!