I am back

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Helen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Helen

Helen Member

After a week with my pc playing up and a weeks fishing holiday I have a load to catch up on
    I went with my husband and a friend for a weeks fishing near Sutton Upon Derwent where my G-Grandfather ended up living for a few years it seemed very strange to walk on the same streets where he did over a 100 years ago and even visited the house and farm where he lived with his second family

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Welcome back Helen.

I find it a little strange as well walking the streets where my ancestors walked.

3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Welcome back Helen, it's nice to see you again :); you might need a while to catch up;)

I spent most of my childhood walking down streets and past buildings where ancestors lived and never knew it (I would have loved to have been told these things), and now when I go back to visit my Mum I say 'let's go look at X' and she'll say 'whhyy?'

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Welcome back, Helen. You have a lot of catching up to do! :D

I never knew why I had such an affinity with certain places that I had never visited previously. Then, the further back in time that my research took me, the more I became aware of these places in my family history. Fascinating to walk in your ancestors' shoes. :)

Ma-dotcom, Chimp and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

It's weird how you do have that 'affinity'. I can also go to a town where my ancestors lived and where I've never visited before, drive around the back streets and know exactly where I'm going.

It gives me cold chills, sometimes - the coincidences are too much to bear. That, however, is the basis of a very long story. :)

Welcome back, Helen.

Half Hour likes this.
  6. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Welcome back Helen, I too have been away. Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to feel 'vibes' about places where ancestors lived. However - talking about cold chills I got a shock when I saw a distant ancestor had my handwriting! weird :)

Mealymoo likes this.
  7. Helen

Helen Member

Thanks for the wb
    I had much the same shock a few years ago, I collect local memorabilia and the builders were gutting the old Co-op and I managed to purchase a load of paperwork, the manager from the late 1920s - 40s had kept every piece of paper that had gone through his hands so this was a great find

I knew my dad had worked there for a few years and I hoped I might find something relating to him which I did

But even better I found a job application from my mum who I had had no idea that she worked there and my handwriting is all the same it gave me a funny feeling in my tum and it still does just typing this

She died when I was 5 and I have no real memory of her so even though not a distant ancestor it was still a strange feeling

8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've been where local G'parents lived & felt not much, just admired a felt a glow with the paddle steamers, but photos in a book on Surrey 100 years ago felt like I'd been there.