I can still be taken aback...

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by Daft Bat, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

You have surely twisted my arm:)
    It will have to be later though. I don't think the James Milstead who was killed in a mine collapse is him though. He was middle aged in 1875, so too young

Daft Bat likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

James was transported for housebreaking and larceny. It was his second offence. The first for vagrancy, prosecuted by his uncle and he served 2 months. I'm fairly certain that transportation was for second offences, not first unless it was a serious offence.
    The second offence again prosecuted by his uncle was for housebreaking. Don't think his uncle liked him too much!.
    Only two Milsted/Milsteads were transported. James and Josiah Milstead in 1849.
    He arrived in Van Diemen's Land on the Moffatt 9th May 1834.
    15th Oct 1834 he was absent without leave and was deprived of sugar and tobacco for 2 months.
    Other misconduct during his term had him receive 50 lashes, 36 lashes for having in his possession a quantity of apples. He also stole an iron saucepan from a Mr Butcher, taking bread from fellow prisoners and numerous other offences that saw him serve in chain gangs for his troubles. Also numerous offences for neglect of duty.
    He received a ticket of leave 26/1/1844 and a conditional pardon 17/12/1846. How he got these privileges I have no idea! (Tasmania Convict Records)
    On the 19th Feb 1852 he is found on the 'Halcyon' heading for Melbourne. He is listed as 'free by servitude'. I also have no idea how he managed that unless he received a pardon but I can't find it. There is nothing on his conduct record to that effect.
    Nothing on him at all after he boarded the 'Halcyon'.
    I have checked deaths in Victoria (there is one only for that name and I think that is the one who died in the mining accident) No death in NSW or Queensland and South Australia. He has disappeared. He could have changed his name. So that's as far as I can get at the moment.
    Information from Linc Tasmania Family History

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Thank you so very much! {-(^^)-}

Archie's Mum likes this.
  4. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Sounds like a camp vicar to me!

5. Daft Bat

The name of Camps, probably dating from the early English period, presumably referred to small fields originally inclosed from that woodland. In 1086 it still covered the whole area later divided between Castle and Shudy Camps, sometimes distinguished until the 14th century as Great and Little Camps.

(British History Online)

6. TheBestOfTimes

TheBestOfTimes Member

There is one branch of my family which is way too close for comfort that appeared regularly in the papers of the 19th century in Leicestershire.... Happy to say that they seem to have sorted themselves out in the 20th century!

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  7. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Snap!

TheBestOfTimes and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

There is a birth and death of a little boy called James in 1863, age 11 (possibly 11 months), parents James and Mary Anne Wear. From there I found a marriage of James Milsted and Mary Ann Ware in 1873! And then I discovered a number of children, with the first born in 1857 only listing Mary Ann, but the rest listed both parents and many of them born in Inglewood, Victoria. Other trees indicate this James was born about 1835 in Australia but I can't find a birth registration. He is probably the James who died in the mine accident at Inglewood, but I can't find a death registration, no matter how I spell Milsted. And I am wondering if he could be the son of James the convict? Mary Ann's surname is variously spelled as Ware, Wear and Weare.

I found these articles on Trove:

FATAL ACCIDENT.

[By Electric Telegrarh.]

(FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.)

Inglewood, Monday Evening.

A fatal accident occurred here to-day to a miner named James Milstead while working in a shaft on the Kentish lead, through a quantity of earth falling on him. On being extricated it was found he had gone over to the great majority.

FATAL ACCIDENT. (1875, October 12). Geelong Advertiser (Vic. : 1859 - 1929), p. 2. Retrieved January 2, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article150639597

An inquest was held on the body of James Milstead, an old resident of Inglewood who was killed on Tuesday in a claim he was working by a fall of earth. A verdict of accidental death was returned. Mr Coachman, mining inspector, gave evidence that the mine was very imperfectly timbered.

ITEMS OF NEWS. (1875, October 14). Mount Alexander Mail (Vic. : 1854 - 1917), p. 2. Retrieved January 2, 2017, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197551161

Perhaps someone better than me can find the inquest report. ;):D

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Daft Bat

What a wonderful phrase!

Thank you so much for this information - it is much appreciated. :)

10. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The inquest can be seen here
    Code:
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/88263523?searchTerm=%22Milstead%22Inglewood&searchLimits=l-decade=187|||l-year=1875

11. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting too.