I think I've found more generations of Moffats...

Discussion in 'Northumberland' started by Moff, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

This is a bit longer than my usual posts, but I'm hoping that some of the more experienced sleuths might cast an eye over my findings and confirm whether or not I'm correct in thinking I've found my 3X great-grandparents and 4X great-grandfather.

All the men in my paternal line until my father were Freemen of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and through the Berwick Enrolments I followed them back to Alexander, my great-great-grandfather, apprenticed in 1809 and recorded as the son of Robert Moffat.

A MI in Tweedmouth Cemetery shows "Ann (Rogerson) wife of Robert Moffat, mason, who died 20 June 1802, aged 44. Also Robert Moffat, mason, who died April 16th 1823 aged 72. Also Isabella Moffat, daughter of Robert and Mary Moffat. In memory of Eleanor, daughter of Robert & Mary Moffat, who died 17 Dec 1825 aged 21."

The parish record of Ann's burial shows "Ann Moffat, Berwick (heretofore Rogerson) wife of Robert Moffat, stonemason".

Robert Moffat (transcribed Moffet) married Ann Rogerson in Bishopwearmouth in 1777.

From parish records: Jul 1804 Baptism of Eleanor Moffat, daughter of Robert Moffat and Mary Fiddes(?) at Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Feb 1806 Baptism of Isabella Moffat, 5th daughter of Robert Moffat of the Berwick Allotment, Tweedmouth Common, native of this parish, by his wife Mary Rankin, her maiden name Foot, native of Newcastle upon Tyne.

6 Feb 1808 Robert Moffatt and Mary Rankin married at Tweedmouth, both from there.

Isabella died 23 Dec 1808 & was buried on 25 Dec 1808.

Robert Moffat's will (1823) mentions his wife Mary, his son, Alexander, daughters Jane, Mary and Elizabeth and their husbands, unmarried daughter Eleanor and daughter-in-law Eleanor, the widow of his late son Hugh. He also mentions his grandson Robert, his brother Alexander's son.

Alexander Moffat's will (1799), mentions his brothers Edward (abroad in the West Indies) and Robert. He also mentions his nephew Alexander, son of his brother Robert, mason, of North Shields. Alexander was also a mason. (There's also an uncle Robert in Wooler and a cousin Alexander in Berwick - they were real family names.)

A Robert Moffat was baptised 7 April 1751 at Tweedmouth, father Hugh Moffat.
    An Edward Moffat was baptised 7 April 1749 at Tweedmouth, father Hugh Moffat.
    Alexander's burial record shows he was 53 when he died, so he was born about 1745.

Robert had 3 daughters (Jane, Elizabeth and Mary) and 3 sons (Alexander, Edward and Hugh) with Ann. Edward died aged 3 in 1799. Hugh drowned in 1820. After Ann died, he had 2 daughters (Isabella and Eleanor) with Mary before marrying her.

Most of the names recur in several generations of my family.
    Alexander's family: Robert, Elizabeth, Ann, Mary, Jane, Alexander, James, George, William
    Robert's family: Alexander, Hugh, Robert, Mary, William, Fanny,
    Alexander's family: Hugh, Barbara

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, if anyone's managed to wade through that lot :)

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

It all looks good from here Moff, but I am newly awake ;) I don't see a lot of BMDs from Berwick on Tweed, I once knew some-one special from there.

Moff likes this.
  3. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

I can't find anything from Berwick-upon-Tweed, but FamilySearch has the Bishops' Transcripts for Northumberland and the parish records for Tweedmouth are there :) Unfortunately they don't go back as far as I would like to look.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This poor chap has to be a member of your family.....

Newcastle Chronicle 30th January 1773
    Last Friday the body of Alexander Moffat, a mason and freeman of Berwick, and who formerly kept a public house there, was found in a most shocking condition, buried underneath the banks of Rosedenburn, near Wooler. He has been missing ever since the 24th December last, when he received 10 guineas for work done at Ilderton with which he was going to Berwick in order to discharge the funeral and other incidental expenses incurred by the death of his wife and two children. It is remarkable that Moffat’s dog returned to Ilderton soon after his departure; and a chaise driver belonging to Haugh-head, observed a man about the same time that morning, beating down the banks where he was found; but can give no further information. As his skull was fractured, his right eye driven out and his body very violently bruised in many places, the Coroner’s inquest brought their verdict wilful murder.

Newcastle Chronicle 6th February 1773
    Wednesday se’nnight Robert Davidson, a mason, at Roseden, near Wooler, was taken up on a suspicion of murdering Alexander Moffat (mentioned in our last) with whom he had worked for two years past, and examined before several of his Majesty’s justices of the peace on Friday, at the Black Bull Inn in Wooler, who, from many suspicious circumstances committed him to Morpeth jail, to take his trial at the next assizes.

I can find no record of the trial :(

Half Hour, Blackmogs, Chimp and 3 others like this.
  5. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

Gruesome! :eek: It could well be a member of the family, but not the chap mentioned in the will because he was alive in 1799 :) I'll have to get up to the Berwick-upon-Tweed Record Office again when I can. It's a long way from where I live in South Wales :D

Half Hour, Ma-dotcom, Sue036 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

:rolleyes: Almost as far as from here to Echuca in Victoria eh? Sorry, I know UK distances are so difffeent to ours. ;)
    [7 h 31 min (683 km)
    via Mallee Hwy/B12]

7. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

According to Google Maps, the shortest route ( but not the quickest) is 369 miles :) Fastest route is 411 miles.

Ma-dotcom likes this.