I wonder what became of these 3?

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by The Artful Dodger, Jul 25, 2020.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

1] William Mollard baptised 19 May 1817 in Germoe - was the son of John Mollard and Alice Tyrack.
    I have not been able to find him in the 1841 census but there is a possibility that he may have died before the census. There was a death in Helston R.D. vol. 9 page 78 of a 23 year old that fits. Upon checking Cornwall OPC for a burial record, the only one that came up was for a Mary Anne on 23 Apr. 1841 age 33 in Breage.
    Can anyone who may have access to burial records to find the burial?

2] Elizabeth Tyrack Mollard baptised 4 May 1823 in Germoe - is the sister of the William above.
    She can be found in 1841 with parents and siblings in Germoe. She is with her widowed Father in 1851 in Germoe [occ. Farm Lab.] - her mother died in 1849. Her father died in 1854 and she can be found in 1861 with her married brother Richard and his wife and daughter in Germoe [occ. Ag. Lab.].
    Checking on Cornwall OPC for likely burials there were none and as for possible marriage there was one Elizabeth Mollard on 8 Mar. 1875 to a Matthew Williams but she was aged 19. A witness was Alice Mollard and she indicated that her father was John deceased. I also have an Alice Mollard who married William Thomas Jennings but that marriage was in 1878 but she named her father as James and he didn't die until 1883.
    I can't find this Elizabeth or her husband after marriage.

3] Francis Mollard baptised 16 Feb. 1817 in Germoe - was the son of William Mollard and Mary Piper.
    He can be found in the 1841 census with parents and brother James in Germoe where he was a Tin Miner. I found a likely death via Cornwall OPC of a Francis Mollard age 39 which looks promising. He died on 10 Jul. 1855 in Liskeard and a article from the Royal Cornwall Gazette shows his burial on 20 Jul. and that he was late of Germoe and was Captain of Wheal Trewetha Mine.
    This looks promising.
    I wonder if anyone has access to newspapers in Cornwall that might shed a little more detail on him or if we can find him on the 1851 census?

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Re Francis Mollard.......Findagrave have his burial at Liskeard Cemetery. Findagrave ID number 195809938.
    Then there is the burial of 8 month old Caroline FRANCES/FRANCIS Mollard born 1854 buried 22/1/1855 ID number 195809937
    John Mollard buried 25/5/1858 age 5 years....ID number 195809936
    And to add to the mystery is the burial of Caroline Mollard born 1828 died Age 62/63 25/4/1891 ID number 18861662
    On Freebmd Sept 1846 marriages appear Francis Mollard, on the same page as Caroline Olver at Liskeard. But I can’t find any marriage for them on Cornwall OPC nor either marrying anyone else.
    Do these two children, Caroline and John belong to Francis? Another mystery.

Chimp and The Artful Dodger like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

1851 a Francis Mollard, copper miner born Germoe but age is 26. He is married to Caroline 26 and has a daughter Mary Elizabeth. Living in Liskeard.
    In 1861 Caroline is widowed, a semptress Age 37 at Liskeard with daughter Mary E.
    This looks like the Francis who died in 1855 might not be your Francis But the father of the other babies and wife buried at Liskeard Old Cemetery. This according to the ages given. His age is out by 10 years.
    Back to the drawing board....

4. Archie's Mum

Mary Elizabeth Mollard baptised Age 1 month father Francis mother Caroline at Liskeard Wesleyan 25/4/1850
    John Mollard baptised 13/5/1852 Liskeard Wesleyan fTher Francis mother Caroline
    Caroline Frances Mollard baptised 25/5/1854 Liskeard Wesleyan father Francis mother Caroline.

5. Archie's Mum

Your thread 'Francis Mollard-did he have wings? March 2018 Have a look at post #9
    US census 1900 has a Francis Mollard born 1856 and wife Alice Polkinhorn. He died in 1901 Ironwood Michigan, father may have been Francis Molllard and mother Hannah Williams.

Chimp likes this.
  6. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

Have you tried the West Briton?
    Code:
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wbritonad/genealogy/

Chimp likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I can't add too much to what you and Sue have already found out, Colin. Ancestry shows a death (supposedly parish register but is only a transcription) for Francis MOLLARD at Liskeard on 1 July 1855, aged 39, Mine Agent. Find a Grave shows 4 burials at Lanchard Cemetery, Liskeard: Francis MOLLARD 1816-1 July 1855, Caroline MOLLARD 1828-25 April 1891, Caroline Francis MOLLARD 1854-11 January 1855 & John MOLLARD 1852-25 May 1858. So it looks pretty likely that the Francis MOLLARD Sue found for you in the 1851 census is the one buried at Liskeard and that the Enumerator entered the incorrect age for Francis on the 1851.

Janet

8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I can't find anything to help in the papers, other than the notice of Francis's death which you found.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  9. The Artful Dodger

No I haven't

10. The Artful Dodger

Thanks Janet.
    With what you and Sue have found I think I can conclude the story of Francis.

I think that Francis and Caroline were married Wesleyan Methodist in Liskeard in 1848 as thei children were all Baptised in that same and can be found on Baptism [non-conformist] on the Cornwall OPC.

Of their 3 children only Mary Elizabeth became an adult. Son John died 25 Apr. 1858 age 6. The record on OPC burials indicates the date of death and burial in Liskeard Cemetery. Caroline Frances died age 8 months on 22 Jan. 1855. The record on OPC burials indicates date of death and burial in Liskeard Cemetery.
    Mary Elizabeth married James Henry Rodd in Aylesbury, Bucks. 3rd q. 1877 and by 1881 were back in Liskeard where he was a Stationer. In 1891 the family [without James Henry] were in Kenwyn and 1901 were in Redruth. In 1911 she, along with James Henry were living with 2 of their children in Market Square, Camborne. James Henry was a Newspaper Proprietor and Wholesale Confectioner.
    James Henry was born in Liskeard in 1853 and died in Camborne 28 Nov. 1916 . One interesting foot-note on him is that a James Henry Rodd a Printer was a witness to an event in Perran-North, Cornwall in 1894. The source is a transcript from Truro, Cornwall, England, Police Charge Books 1846-1896. This was from Ancestry but no image available. Probate to his widow 8 Mar. 1917.
    Mary Elizabeth died 10 Jan. 1929 in Camborne and was buried on 14 Jan. Probate to her youngest child Reginald Mollard Rodd on 1 Feb. 1929.
    Mary Elizabeth

Ma-dotcom and janetbooth like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Elizabeth Tyack Mollard....As she can be found with her brother Richard in 1861, and not after that, how about the death of Elizabeth Mollard in 1864 at Perranuthnoe. She is 47 years old and I know that the age is out by 5 years but Germoe and Perranuthnoe are only 3.5 miles apart.

12. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Are you interested in James Henry RODD, Colin?

BNA:
    The "Royal Cornwall Gazette" has him being burgled (furniture, from 15 Ferris Town, which is part of Truro) in October 1894.
    "The People" has him being "of Perranporth" - which is what I think is meant in message 10, above.

Jane

The Artful Dodger and Chimp like this.
  13. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

A few more snippets with regard to Mary Elizabeth Mollard. Her marriage was reported in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of the 14th September 1877
    At the Wesleyan Chapel, Aylesbury Sept. 1, James H. Rodd to Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of the late Capt. Mollard of Liskeard.

In the Shepton Mallet Journal of the 28th February 1879, James Henry Rodd brought a case against William Edwards alias James Evans. He had obtained a rabbit from a shop in Shepton Mallet, claiming that it was for Mr Rodd. Mr Rodd was described as a local preacher as well as a stationer, and as he frequented the shop, Edwards was given the rabbit for him, with no payment. Subsequently Edwards returned and obtained parsnips, nuts, lemons, oranges and potatoes and wasn’t asked for payment as the produce was for Mr Rodd, the preacher. James Rodd had taken pity on Edwards and had given him free lodging in his house, providing he bought his own food – which he did but not in the way James envisaged! Edwards was also charged with obtaining half-a-crown from Mrs Mary Elizabeth Rodd. She had given Edwards the money to buy some potatoes for her but she only got half the amount she asked for and didn’t see any change nor the rest of the potatoes.

West Briton 22nd February 1900
    Mr C. H. Rodd, son of Mr J. H. Rodd, Redruth was signified by telegram last week that he had been accepted as one of the Ambulance men required to sail with the Cornish Volunteers who have been ordered to the Front. He has qualified by gaining the nursing certificate and will be serving in the first class grade.

Cornishman 17th January 1929
    January 11th at Market Square, Camborne, Mary Elizabeth, widow of the late James H. Rodd and daughter of the late Capt. Francis and Mrs Mollard of Liskeard.

14. The Artful Dodger

I just don't know! 4+ years is quite a bit when you consider that in 1861 her age as recorded [presumably by her brother] was 38. The GRO in Sep. q. 1864 vol. 5C page 184 has her age also as 47, so maybe she wassn't well known to the informant and her age was just guessed at.

15. The Artful Dodger

Not exactly - but appreciate the info..

16. The Artful Dodger

Thanks Ann. The reference to her father being deceased and was from Liskeard supports the death details about a Mine Captain

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    AnnB likes this.
  17. The Artful Dodger

Looks like she and hubby were "good People" and that he [James Henry] was a Lay preacher for a time in Shepton Mallet while journeying back to Liskeard.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    AnnB likes this.
  18. The Artful Dodger

This was their eldest son Charles Herbert. This accounts for why he was with his parents or any U.K. census after 1891.
    It would appear that he may have been doing some Missionary Work in South Africa as his death was recorded on 19 Jun. 1940 with a burial on 20 Jun.

janetbooth and AnnB like this.
  19. The Artful Dodger

A couple of interesting tit-bit concerns Gladys May Rodd who married Robert Kemp in 1910.
    1] The 1939 Register shows her residence as "Higher North Country" as part of the Camborne/Redruth Urban District. Since both she and her husband died and were buried @ Treleigh in 1959 and 1969, was Treleigh just part of the district rather being named as the place of residence in 1939?

2] Usually with regard to distant rellies I generally use thee quarter in which the death occurred unless I can develop more detail i.e. burial records or probates. I found both for Gladys - burial is stated as 15 Sep. 1969 and date of death from probate was transcribed as 15 Sep. 1969 but the actual image shows 5 Sep. 1969. I'm glad I checked the image!

janetbooth and Archie's Mum like this.
  20. The Artful Dodger

This is the only one left. Does any one have access to any burial records as nothing shows up on Cornwall OPC?
    Siblings [with parents] can be found in 1841 in Boscreage, Germoe HO107 Piece 137 Book 1 Folio 22 Page 3. All male sibling [of a likely working age] along with father John are probably Tin Miners.

Thanks for looking.:nailbiting: