I'm not amused!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Receiving the following message when entering and using Ancestry's Parish Register Index used to be a minor irritation.

"We’re sorry, this page is temporarily unavailable.
    You can try reloading this page, or try again later"

Now it's become a very frequent and very annoying feature, it's happening far too often.,

Whether it's a result of more people using Ancestry due to Covid 19 or whatever, it needs to be fixed, methinks I'll contact Ancestry support.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Elma and 3 others like this.
  2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I've been getting it a lot also... very frustrating when they charge so much and you can't access it when you want. Let us know if you get a decent reply.

Findem, Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  3. Findem

Perhaps if I get a reply!

Sandiep, Half Hour and Bay Horse like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

You are not alone!;)

Findem and Sandiep like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I keep getting it too, but find if I refresh the page or search again straight away, the page is there :confused:

Sue036, dizzyme, Findem and 4 others like this.
  6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Yes, same. :confused:

Findem, Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and 2 others like this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

My experience matches AnnB's. Still very annoying, as is the fact that often when accessing their PCC Wills, presumably when the site is busy, if I read more than the first page, I cannot just press the back button thus getting me back to the search results page, but find it takes me back to the Home page so have to input all the search parameters once more! Another habit, again when the site is busy, it alters the search parameters for me - very nice of it I'm sure - by removing the parish that I have carefully input to save trawling through loads of unwanted data, therefore just leaving the county as a search parameter. So frustrating!! And to be fair, it is not just Ancestry, as FMP also gives you the message that it is down for maintenance during its busier periods thus causing you to refresh very frequently. Gripe over for now.

Janet

Sue036, Findem, Ma-dotcom and 7 others like this.
  8. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Guess it is time to stop encouraging people to look for ancestors. :eek::D:D
    It is similar to them encouraging people to have bigger families to build the country until the family was so big they couldn't afford to feed them all.

9. Findem

Same here. :)

10. Findem

I have had my comment acknowledged and they state someone will get back to me shortly, probably be one of those "we are doing all we can to overcome this problem" but don't hold your breath. :)

If the truth is known it is something like their server or search engine can't handle the volume of traffic.

11. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

I did hear (not sure where from :rolleyes:) that the new owners were investing as they want to attract new customers in other countries....

12. Findem

Here is Ancestry's reply, not tried their suggestion yet.

Dear Derek,
    Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to the issues you have experienced while searching the Essex Parish Register Index.

The issue you are describing is most likely due to a setting in your web browser preventing the page or the links from working correctly. To resolve this, we recommend that you log our of your Ancestry account, clear your cache and cookies and log back into your Ancestry account.

We have attached an article that explains how to clear your cache and cookies here:

Managing Your Cache and Cookies

Alternatively, please try viewing the results in another browser. Our recommended browsers are the most recent version of either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

If you need additional assistance, reply to this email or feel free to contact us by phone at 0-800-783-1340 from 9 AM to 9 PM GMT, Monday through Friday or from 9 AM - 5:30 PM GMT, Saturday and Sunday. If you're calling from outside of the UK, please click here for numbers and hours in your region.
    Kind regards,
    Tonianne
    Customer Solutions Associate
    Ancestry
    For more information regarding our products, please follow the links listed below.
    Support | Facebook | DNA | Twitter

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2020
  13. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I expect that most of us on this forum all use our computers a LOT. I have to admit that I only clear my cache and / or cookies when obliged to, mainly because doing so tends to slow things down a bit. However there are some issues that can only be resolved by having a good clear out. On the other hand this is often the first advice offered by technical help teams, after 'please log out / switch off and log in / switch on again. Then, 'please try it in a different browser'. I used to work in IT and there are very good reasons for trying all of these things. However they don't cure all ills.

It is always worth trying all of the above before reporting a fault.

Nonetheless my experience is also that Ancestry and FMP are often overloaded at 'peak times', which are generally the times when most people are not carrying out work for which they are paid ... evenings and weekends. I suspect the issues you've had are more likely down to overload of their systems than overload of your computer, although it could be a bit of both.