Imperial War Museum exhibition

Discussion in 'WWII (1939 - 1945)' started by LianeH, Mar 20, 2015.

1. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

We are taking our godson to the Imperial War Museum tomorrow as he's doing a WW1 project at school - he's bound to ask questions (sounds familiar:D)

Sandiep likes this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Have a lovely time at the IWM. If they've still got the exhibition going of 'A Family in Wartime' - take a quick look (if you have time, as it is WW2), the family in question were my grandparents along with my Mum (Eva Allpress) and her brothers and sisters.

Ann

Sandiep likes this.
  3. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Ooh Ann just checked their website that exhibition is still on so I will say hello to your family

4. AnnB

Thanks, much appreciated :D There may even be a picture of me as a child somewhere......fancy ending up in a museum :rolleyes:

Ann

Sandiep, Huncamunca, Sis and 3 others like this.
  5. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Ann what a wonderful exhibit on your family at the IWM. I know you live in Devon but if you get a chance to get up there it is wonderful. I attach a couple of photos taken from my phone (before it decided to die on me:mad:) - Note to self, take a proper camera next time:D

Attached Files:

Sandiep, Huncamunca, MollyMay and 3 others like this.
  6. AnnB

We were invited to the opening last year (I had provided some of the photos and information) but my other half was going through a rough patch, so we couldn't go. Several of my cousins and my last surviving Uncle (who has sadly, since died and who lived in Danbury, so not far from you in Chelmsford) went and so I got an excellent second hand account of the events.

The IWM very kindly sent me a complimentary copy of the book which goes with the exhibition - it wasn't the first book written about the family during the War, there was a children's book written quite a few years back. The model of the house where they lived, was made by my Uncle Cyril (Mum's brother in law) who worked for the IWM after he returned from being a prisoner of war. He and my father were friends in the camp and Dad met my Mum at Cyril's wedding to Mum's sister, Betty, in 1946. We are still hoping to get to London before too long but.....

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the pictures - it's funny to see my Mum's photo on this forum - I have the same one in a frame in the living room. It was taken after she had had her first perm :)

Ann

Sandiep, Huncamunca, MollyMay and 3 others like this.