[Important] Ancestry / RootsWeb users - security breach

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oman, Dec 24, 2017.

1. oman

oman Aussie Admin Staff Member

Code:
    https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2017/12/23/rootsweb-security-update/
    Please have a read of the above blog post if you are a past or current user of Ancestry and / or RootsWeb. I was browsing Twitter and it came up - I thought it would be relevant to you.

Main take outs:
    • Don't reuse passwords (Don't use the same password on multiple sites)
    • Don't be surprised if your Ancestry account requires a password reset next time you log in - they are doing this for your security. Set a password different from your old one.
    • If you are using the same password on multiple sites, it's a good new year's resolution to rectify this and set a different password for each site you are a member of.
    Additional resources:

Code:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    A site that can be used to check if your email has been caught up in any data breaches. Enter your email. If any sites come up as Pwned, change your password on those sites.

Code:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords
    A site that can be used to check if your passwords have previously been involved in a data breach. If you see 'Pwned', change that password to something else on the site you've used it.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

oman likes this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Thanks @oman . Merry Christmas.:)

oman likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Thanks @oman , nice to get a clean slate. ;)

5. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

It tells me my address has been "Pwned on 1 breached site" but gives no indication of which site it is - which is worse than useless.
    I do note, though, that it then invites subscription - sneaky way to collect e-mail addresses?

6. Ma-dotcom

Does that mean you use same password on more than one site?

7. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

No. I use different passwords on different sites. The "pwned" message relates to the e-mail address though, not the password.
    Obviously, like most people, I use the same e-mail address on different sites but the message gives no indication as to which of those sites was, allegedly, involved.
    If the software is able to identify a compromised site then what valid reason is there for not including the name of the site in the response?

8. Ma-dotcom

Oh dang, just went there again & am told "no pawnage found." clicked-notify me when I get pawned.
    Open email & guess what?
    'Oh no — pwned!
    Pwned on 3 breached sites and found 1 paste
    Anti Public Combo List (unverified): In December 2016,
    Exploit.In (unverified): In late 2016,
    Onliner Spambot: In August 2017
    Pastes you were found in:siph0n.in Unknown 8,769 "

All on a dark red background. Gonna stop reading unjoyful tidings. So dislike red in large portions.

Sis likes this.
  9. oman

oman Aussie Admin Staff Member

Essentially the site tells you whether an account under your email was caught up in a breach (or multiple).

Different sites have these security issues at different times. It’s just good to keep things under control.

By posting it, I’m definitely not trying to scare you but it’s quite a widely known tool.

The site covers both emails and passwords as normally when security breaches like these happen it can include one or the other (or both).

@GJH if you would like to screenshot what you got and send it through to me in a PM I can try and help decipher what it is saying.

The email alert is optional. Even if you put your email in, you would still need to confirm the subscription via your inbox (I tested it myself)

10. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with what the screen says oman but what it doesn't say (i.e. which web site I am registered with has supposedly had e-mail address/password lists (including mine) hacked) :) I also appreciate you are not trying to scare anyone :)

The only reference the site makes is to a spambot called Onliner Spambot being identified in August. It infers (by omission) that the spam list created by a spambot must result from one or more breaches and ignores the fact that spambots harvest addresses from sources like mailto links (which I have and understand the spam risk of having) and forums/mailing lists which publish user addresses.