Ireland-Powers family

Discussion in 'County Waterford' started by Teri, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Teri

Teri New Member

I am looking for information on my great great grandfather Thomas Powers, I know he was born in Ireland somewhere between 1830 and 1840, I do believe it is more likely the 1840 year. He immigrated to New York and lived in the Brooklyn area for his life. He was married to a Julia Holmes. Any help is appreciated.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Teri - welcome to Top Dog :)

When did Thomas move to New York? Do you have any clues as to whereabouts in Ireland he came from?

3. Teri

Teri New Member

I have heard Waterfoot/Waterford and Canneck. I found his census in NY 1875 so it had to be before then, there daughter is listed as born in 1870 in NY. Not sure if that helps any

4. she04

she04 Active Member

Loads of records were lost permanently in fires in 1922. Any that r badly damaged r at national archive of Ireland. After 1845 records r at national library of Ireland in Dublin.

5. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Hi Teri. Welcome to Top Dog.
    Have you tried looking at the Ellis Island site. It sometimes tells you who they were going to live with. Although this does not help in finding where they came from it might give you another name to look for as it is often a relative and eventually you MAY(!!) find another clue back to the home place via naturalization records.

Have you checked newspapers for his death. You (Another MAY!!) find a write up giving where he came from and on a really truly wonderful day his parents.(That has only happened to me once and it was a champagne moment!)

Have you got a birth for him?
    Do you know Julia's maiden name? Did they emigrate as a couple.
    Jenny

6. AnnaJenny

Sorry duff information.
    I have just gone into the Ellis Island site and can not find how to get as early as 1830 on the new site!!!
    I will continue to look but thought I should confess to leading you astray.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Daft Bat

Ellis Island did not open until 1892 - although it feels as though it has been going longer! ;)

Prior to that date a good website to try is Castle Garden, which opened in 1820.
    castlegarden.org/

8. AnnaJenny

Is the daughter you found a Margaret A? If so this census for 1880 is probably your family. Living at 61 Amity St, Kings, Brooklyn NY. The s at the end of POWERS is debatable on Thomas's name and dropped completely on the children's.
    Thomas POWER(S) 40 born Ireland
    Julia 25 born Ireland
    Margaret A 10 )
    Thomas 9 )
    John 7 ) born NY
    Martin 4 )
    Julia 3 )

Apologies if you already have this.
    Jenny

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

What about parish records? If the American records give a place of birth, it may be possible to find some Irish parish records. The 1840s may be difficult, but if Juiia was born in Ireland circa-1855 there may be a greater chance of finding some further information. (Were the Powers members of the Church of Ireland?)

10. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Teri, if you can get a death cert the US death certs are very detailed and usually have the name of parents and sometimes a detailed place of birth of the deceased - details dependant on who was the informant. If you are not sure when he died looking for him the last census and perhaps his wife if she did not pre-decease him in the next will give you a 10 year time frame for the death or maybe living with a married child if widowed. Ancestry has good death certs for NY. Also try the Italian site, can't remember the name of the site now but it has come great info, not just for Italian immigrants - it has been mentioned on another thread so maybe someone will post the link here for you.

11. Daft Bat

Italiangen (dot) org - link split as they ask for donations. :)