Irish records/FHL films

Discussion in 'County Mayo' started by kernowmaid, Mar 10, 2014.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Hope this is the correct forum!

Last year I found a County Mayo marriage (Mary Clarke-James Jordan) with the correct details (father Anthony Clarke, mother Betty Glacken) on Ancestry - transcription only, with a reference to a FHL film, date Q1 1902.
    Fed up with trying to get in touch with the nearby LDS church (no-one seems to know who to contact to view films), today I tried "rootsireland" ... and there's the marriage! So I paid my Euros and got ... another transcription. Correct details, BUT ... date 17 Feb 1903.

Which transcription is likely to be the correct one?
    What exactly do the FHL films show? (ie the original paper or the transcription?)

It is so annoying that the church is within a mile of my home, yet I can't access the films! Is there any other way of seeing them?

Jane

2. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Jane, some time back you could apply and pay a very small fee for a hardcopy from Utah, but... I think they may have stopped this facility - why not try contacting them by email and asking if this is still possible seeing you have the film number etc. If you have success getting a posted hardcopy do let us know, I would be interested.
    Regards
    Hilda

kernowmaid and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Jane - did this transcription tell you which church the marriage took place at? If so, how about emailing the church directly and asking if they have any way of checking their registers for you?

kernowmaid and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ken_R

Ken_R Well-Known Member

A displaced 'Brummie' now in Worcestershire
    It's now free and the image comes back as an email attachment - eventually.......

Google LDS Photoduplication Service for details.

Findem, HildaW and kernowmaid like this.
  5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

On Family search Irish civil registration records there is a marriage record for a James Jordan 1st Q 1902 and another for a James Jordan 1stQ 1903. Both Ballina co Mayo. Similarly there is a marriage record for a Mary Clarke 1stQ 1902 and another for a Mary Clarke 1st Q 1903, both Ballina co Mayo.

However these records do not give the name of the spouse.

I wondered if GRO in Roscommon could shed any light for you?

kernowmaid likes this.
  6. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I do have a couple in my tree who married twice witin a very short space of time; I always assumed (I know one shouldn't) that the first marriage was on the sly or otherwise in a hurry, and the second was the 'official' marriage with all family present. But I really don't know ...

7. Glyn Scally

Glyn Scally Active Member

If you have the date or reference of the marriage you can contact the GRO in Roscommon and ask for a photocopy of the marriage certificate. it is €4 as far as I know. They take about a week to arrive. I have only ever requested certificates by post, but I believe you can order them online as well, telling them you want a photocopy not a full certificate.
    Hope this helps.
    Glyn Scally

kernowmaid likes this.
  8. kernowmaid

Thank you Everyone, for your suggestions - I'll give them a go.
    Thanks, Ken, for the Photoduplication link - reading it, it looks as though I should be able to download an image (the records have been digitised) ... I've just got to work out how. (Is it just me? Does anyone else have problems understanding the familysearch.org site?)

Jane

dizzyme likes this.
  9. Ken_R

Ken_R Well-Known Member

It's not very user friendly. You can only download an image IF it has been digitized AND is available (typically through FMP).

Digitized images NOT available through the Commercial sites have to be requested using the electronic form provided.

I've looked for the info as in Post #1 on both Family Search and Ancestry but can't find the record. Any pointers please?

10. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

If one of the marriages was in a church or chapel and the other a civil marriage then it may have been because the church / chapel wasn't C of E and didn't have permission to register the marriage, which would have always been the case for non C of E until 1898. From then on it depended whether or not the church / chapel applied to have an "authorised person" or still had to either send for the registrar to attend or ask the couple to have a civil marriage as well.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  11. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

nope, both C of E.
    I've had another (more careful) look at the PR images, for both marriages the bride was under-age -- the first time she lied about it, so I think that may be why. Also the name of the groom's father is incorrect on the first one [the groom had changed his name so he and his father have different surnames, on the first one the groom's new surname is added onto the father's name]

12. kernowmaid

Sorry for the delay Ken. (Spring has sprung - at last - so I went to the beach, stopping on the way to bang on the door of the LDS Church. No reply)

Pointers: Mary Clarke, b c 1871, Ballina, Co Mayo, daughter of Anthony Clarke & Elizabeth (Betty) Glacken. Religion RC.
    Married James Jordan, Bonniconlon Church (Ballina, Kilgarven or Kilmoremoy Parish).
    Film no 101260. Ballina; vol 4; page 13.
    Ancestry: Q1 1902
    RootsIreland: 17 Feb 1903.

All information most welcome!

Jane

13. Daft Bat

How about sending an email to the priest, to see if he can help?

http://
    achonrydiocese.org/parishes/mayo/bonniconlon/

Click where it says email and it will take you through to the email address. :)

Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.
  14. kernowmaid

Thanks Jan. Will do. Er ... how does one address a priest? Dear Sir? Dear Father? Milord? o_O

Jane

15. Daft Bat

I usually just say "Hello" :D

16. Ken_R

Ken_R Well-Known Member

That's the bit I wanted. The film shows as "Index of marriages 1902-1905" in the general heading of "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958".

I suspect that this will be much the same as the UK GRO Index pages and not be of any great help.

It would seem that somewhere, a Year date has been incorrectly entered.

kernowmaid likes this.
  17. kernowmaid

Thanks for looking Ken. Yes, I suspect that the 1902 has come from the index heading, and is a mistake. Hopefully the local priest will be able to confirm (Yes Jan, I e-mailed and now await a reply. Ain't technology wonderful?).

Jane

Daft Bat likes this.
  18. kernowmaid

Praise Be! I've had a reply from Father Geelan at Bonniconlon Church, who has confirmed that the date was 17 February 1903. So the record on Ancestry is wrong.

He has added the names of the Groomsman and Bridesmaid. So ... does this mean that he has the actual piece of paper in his church records?

This query related to my Gt Gt Aunt because of the discrepancy, but my Gt Gt Grandparents (and others) married there too. I would love to have the full details for them ALL, but don't want to bombard Fr Geelan with questions.

Do the originals appear on these FHL films? Do I need to break in to the LDS church that is never open? Or do I need to book a trip to Ireland? (Hubby is going to love that :eek:)

Jane

she04, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Why not,did he seem overwhelmed with requests? You may just put a little sunshine into his day with your interest, bless his heart.

she04 and Daft Bat like this.
  20. Daft Bat

Yay! 8(:-)

He will have the actual register, by the sound of things.

I am with Wendy on this. Looking at the speed with which he has replied, and the extra detail that he has given, you have probably made his day! :D Why not ask? Nothing ventured, nothing gained... ;)

she04 and Ma-dotcom like this.