Irish research

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by patten-walsh, Feb 10, 2017.

1. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

As we all know, if we do any research for family in Ireland, it can be extremely frustrating, not only from the point of view of the many thousands of people with the same name, but most of them were known by some other name entirely different to the one we are looking for.
    Also dates of birth can be years out, as I had it explained to me many years ago, that the important thing was the farm which had to have a lot of work done on it 365 days a year and, making a note of the date when a child was born or somebody had died didn't really come top of the list.

So here's an example of the sort of thing that can be found, but only in a short time period.

Michael Lynch is born 26 Sep 1870 in Farranastack,Co Kerry to Michael Lynch and Mary nee Hanlon. Lynch Birth.jpg

Michael Lynch is baptised 19 Jul 1870 parents are Michael Lynch and Maria (Latin at the church so Mary) Hanlon of Farranastack Lynch Baptism.jpg

The odds of 2 people with the same name and parents being born in the same area in the same year are virtually improbable and to have the child baptised before he was born well that's clever !

Within the same family out of 12 children every baptism is 1 or 2 months before the birth.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Who is Jannis/joannis baptised on the same day? Same parents? Is there a registration for him on the same day? :confused:

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Reading the script between the two christian names & surname- sounds like twins, brothers in uterus.

4. Archie's Mum

Just came back to it after some thought. Looks like fraternal twins.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. Archie's Mum

Family search....referring to the twins has John Lynch (joannis) born 26/9/1870 Ballylongford, Kerry father Michael and mother Mary Hanlon. No sign of a Michael as far as I can see. He has to be there somewhere.
    Just found him registered with brother John
    Is Ballylongrford anywhere near Farranastack?
    Looks like about 13 miles apart.

Half Hour likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Looks like two different familes.
    What do you think?

7. patten-walsh

Indeed there is a birth here John.jpg

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Could they have been baptised at birth or close after and then not registered until September?
    The date appears to be 24th September rather than 26th but My computer is off due to the extreme heat here and I'm using my phone. My eyes aren't working too well.

patten-walsh likes this.
  9. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, patten-walsh ... I was beginning to think I was going mad!

"My" Mary JORDAN was born & baptised in November 1907 - according to the (actual - found on Ancestry) record.
    Her Birth Cert (actual - found in the Civil Records) records her as born January 1908.

She is the daughter of James JORDAN & Mary CLARKE.
    And to complicate matters even further, there appear to have been another young couple of the same names, producing children - of the same names, and registering them in the Ballina district.

The only difference between the 2 families appears to be where they lived. Thank goodness they didn't move around!

Jane

10. patten-walsh

You know I'm begining to think, as Archie's Mum, says that they were registered later than they were born and when the registrar asked for a birth date you gave one close to the date when you were making the registration. As Ireland was under British rule then there was probably a time limit that you had to register the birth within a certain number of weeks and if it was a busy time on the farm you couldn't just drop everything and wander off to the registry office.
    A possibilty ?

11. patten-walsh

Yes, born 26 Jan 1908 Currimblia South, Ballina,Co.Sligo

12. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I had a look at baptisms in 1870 in Ballybunion parish (where the boys were baptised ) on the National Library of Ireland parish registers. http://registers.nli.ie

and then compared the baptisms with the corresponding birth registrations in Listowel district in1870 from www.irishgenealogy.ie.

In many cases the birth dates were completely different and often the baptism date was before the date of birth on the civil registration.

Maybe the parents were unsure of the dates in the first place, maybe the registrations were late. Also the birth registers seemed to be copies of earlier registers , another chance for errors to creep in. And maybe everyone was quite casual about the need for accuracy!

13. patten-walsh

Yes,but at the bottom of the page it does say " I have examined the above and compared it with the said original Registrar's Book, and hereby certify it is a true copy" so should be accurate enough.
    I suspect it is a combination of, as you say, unsure of dates,late registration and the laid back style of the Irish.

gillyflower, Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Aw .... it's all done to confuse - perhaps we are all mad! I struggle so much with Irish records - that's if I can find them in the first place. :):headbang:

HildaW likes this.
  15. patten-walsh

My wife's uncle was buried on Monday at age 94, he was born in Ireland in 1925.
    On the order of service on the front it has d.o.b 14th Jan 1925 so I thought I'll just look on the family tree to make sure Iv'e got his birth date. Have I ? yes but Iv'e got 23rd Feb 1925, where did I get that from I wonder, so I look through a heap of certs that I have and sure enough there is a copy of the birth registration.
    This seems to bear out what I have said in the past, that the birth would be registered the next time the Father or Mother were in the town where the birth could be registered and this may be quite a while after the birth and so you would have a guess at a date, as long as it was quite near the date when it was registered. So date of birth given as 23 Feb 1925, registered 23 March 1925 because if you gave the correct date of 14 Jan you would probably get a fine for late registration. 14 Jan was taken from baptism record.