Is there more to this story?

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 7, 2021.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

looking at John Boucher, born c1801 Beaminster, Dorset, he was a sailcloth weaver married to Anna o/w Hannah Cox

27 June 1837 saw him being imprisoned for a fortnight (with hard labour) for larceny; a second record said he stole part of a gate :eek:

I can't imagine why anyone would steal part of a gate, what kind of gate, and how would it benefit him to have whatever part he stole? Is there any chance of a newspaper write up?

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I can find no more details in the papers, other than the fact that John Boucher received a two week sentence. Apparently, there were more cases tried than had ever been tried before at that particular Quarter Sessions, so, I suppose they couldn’t report them all.

As to why steal part of a gate. I had a similar thing where a chap stole 2 pieces of wood from his employer for the simple reason that he needed some firewood, and he was prosecuted by his ‘master’ :(

Eve and mugwortismy cat like this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Thank you very much for checking :)

I suppose that makes sense, and it is a lot simpler than the half-formed theories I had swirling around in my brain

AnnB likes this.