Isaac Grou/Groux/le Groux or Grove died 1754

Discussion in 'Wills & Probate' started by Sis, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Can anyone find out more on the ".... admin of Isaac Grou als Grove, late of the parish of St James, Westminster, widower was granted 2 Dec 1754 to the Rev. Samuel the son and only child." This is from a book simply called East Barnet. He was buried in East Barnet, Herfordshire under the surname of Grove on 19 Nov 1754.

I don't need any details on other Groves as I have previously done a thread on Martha Grove, of the same family. Lots of lovely people gave me lots of information on heaps of people from the Grove family.

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I can't find a Will for Isaac GROVE, Sis, but there is an entry in Ancestry's Cambridge University Alumni record for his son Samuel which does give a bit more info on Isaac. Samuel entered Trinity College matriculated 1724, LL.B 1724 from Oriel College Oxford, son of Isaac of London, ordained Deacon at London 18 February 1721/22, priest Lincoln 10 March 1722/23, Rector of East Barnet 1743-69, died 19 February 1769, Will PCC and the interesting bit is that his record states that the father was a Huguenot named GROUP. Of course, you may already have this information via your research of Martha.

Janet

Sis likes this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Following on from the fact that Isaac may have been a Huguenot, there is a baptismal transcript record on Ancestry at Walloon or Strangers church at Canterbury, Kent for an Isaac LE GROU on 21 November 1680 (born 19 November 1680), father Abraham LE GROU which may be relevant. This is followed by a marriage at St Dunstan, Stepney on 15 October 1705 for an Isaac LE GROU, Spittlef: Weaver to an Elizabeth BASHAM, the same, widow - image available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

Sis likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Always worth considering Middlesex when looking at Barnet as it was (and still is) right on the border. It did spend some time hopping between the two. This map from Morden's Map of Hertfordshire 1695-1772 shows what I mean - East Barnet is just southeast of Barnet and Hadley..

upload_2019-10-31_11-25-55.png

Sis, mugwortismy cat and GrannyBarb like this.
  5. Sis

Thank you Janet, I did have this.

Thank you for this too. I'll keep it in my possible folder.

6. Sis

Thank you Jan.

Daft Bat likes this.