James Clark(e) of Puncknowle

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Jul 8, 2016.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Oh sorry Sue it is a Christian Clark we were trying not to find ... :oops: I was probably moving too fast and not explaining myself :(

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Sis like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Tis OK. I was just trying to sort out as many Christians as I could find. There's not many.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. Ruth Lancaster

Ruth Lancaster New Member

I know about James Clark’s Mother.
    She is Mary Buckler of Fordington.
    Mary, described as an “incorrigible rogue” had several illegitimate children one with a random soldier & had prison sentences, including the house of correction, before she married Robert Clark however the paternity of James Clark is inconclusive. Neither Robert Clark, nor Hansford are mentioned at his baptism and his later marriage certificate has a blank father space.
    That Mary eventually marries Hansford and appears to settle down, is fact and James Clark clearly values his step father...passing on the Hansford name to one of his own children.

4. mugwortismy cat

hmmm,
    I'm going to have to look at this Mary Buckler of Fordington, but don't have the brain power for it today

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

I didn't look hard at Mary Buckler, but went over again the Clark and Hansford connection. I'm actually happy to keep identifying Mary Clark as daughter of John and Patience, and sister to Shemey and Priscilla who married into the same Hansford family.

I've made note of the Mary Buckler as a possibility, but no one has a death record for her husband Robert Clark, of course if he was still alive this would explain why she claimed to be single on marrying Joseph Hansford. But perhaps she really was a single woman, Mary Clark. Why does Mary Buckler leave Fordington/Dorchester and go to Puncknowle, of course there is nothing to stop her doing so. But I have documented evidence of Mary Clark and her family in both places. Why would I want to introduce a rogue Clark into the mix, when I have three Clark sisters marrying three Hansford brothers?