James Draper - bapt. 4 August 1799, West Lavington

Discussion in 'Wiltshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Apr 16, 2020.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

This chap has proven to be quite elusive. He was the the middle [based upon date of baptism] of 3 children born to children of John and Elizabeth/Betty Draper. His sister Mary was baptised 2 July 1797, West Lavington and brother John was baptised 12 July 1801, West Lavington.

How I found him was on the probate register regarding the death of John 3 January 1871 in Easterton. Probate was granted as of 13 January 1872. As of that date, James was a Shopkeeper and resident of Easterton.

I have found several trees on Ancestry, referencing a James born c. 1801 in both 1851 and 1861 in West Lavington, living with his widowed mother Elizabeth[1851 H0107/1839/271/13 and 1861 RG9/1291/57/7]. His occupation was an Ag.Lab.
    What none of those trees seem to have bothered with was 1841 - H0107/1184/5/8/10 - where in hie is with his parets and his father was RICHARD.
    This James was baptised in West Lavington 2 May 1796 and died on 8 June 1869.

Will the correct James please sign in :eek::eek: or otherwise make presence known.

2. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

Just to add more fun here is another James Draper on FreeReg. but Illegitimate:

County Wiltshire
    Place Bishops Cannings
    Church St Mary the Virgin
    Baptism 9 May 1803
    Person James DRAPER
    Mother Sarah DRAPER
    Notes Illegitimate
    Transcribed by William Hall
    File line no.1469

Could he have been mixed up with the others at some stage?

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I found one yesterday born 1813 though

4. Archie's Mum

Family Search IGI Source Parish Printout Family Search Library Microfilm
    James Draper 4/8/1799 father John mother Betty

5. Archie's Mum

Forgot to add...
    Batch 7119303
    Sheet 12
    Serial 00052

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

His father John looks to have been buried in Market Lavington on 26 April 1834: John DRAPER, Easterton, aged 63. There is a Betty DRAPER in the 1841 census of Potterne, Wiltshire, shown as aged 65 living at Lower Churchyard by herself, but so far zilch for James DRAPER. I then started looking for brother John & his family but no luck for them either. I wonder if it could be that the families were living in Easterton, which according to FMP is one of the hamlets and parishes missing from the 1841 census, as is East or Market Lavington.

Janet

7. janetbooth

According to the 1871 census of Easterton (RG10/1911, folio 7, page 6), there is a James DRAPER, aged 59, who is a Grocer and married to an Anne and they have 6 children. If this is the correct James DRAPER, he was baptised at Market Lavington on 18 August 1811, son of John & Mary DRAPER, aged 3 weeks. Brother John was buried at Market Lavington on 7 January 1871, aged 67, of Easterton, giving him a birthdate of c1804. A John DRAPER was baptised at Market Lavington on 19 October 1803, son of John & Mary DRAPER, aged 10 days. A John DRAPER married Mary DOWSE on 24 December 1798 at Market Lavington, both being of the parish, both signing, as did the witnesses Thomas DOWSE & Francis SMITH. Does this set the cat among the pigeons, Colin? 1851/61/1881 all show this James DRAPER as living in Market Lavington. James DRAPER buried at Easterton on 14 September 1882, aged 71. According to the National Probate Calendar James DRAPER, Shopkeeper of Easterton, died on 8 September 1882 and probate was granted to his widow Ann.

Janet

8. The Artful Dodger

This is the one I found, Sue

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. The Artful Dodger

Hi Janet - your post #7 does set the cat among the pigeons. I think I can eliminate the probate record for 1872 about a death in 1871. This is definitely not factual regarding the death of my John Draper.

10. janetbooth

Right, back to John & Betty DRAPER & their children. There is also a daughter Sarah baptised at West Lavington on 20 May 1795, daughter of John & Betty DRAPER, Mt Lavington. There is a marriage at Market Lavington on 30 October 1817 for a Sarah DRAPER to a Richard WILKINS, both of the parish, which could perhaps be this Sarah.

What may also be relevant to you in sorting out which James & John are which are the non-conformist baptisms of children to a John & Sarah DRAPER at Market Lavington Independent, John being a Labourer of Easterton. They had several children including an Elizabeth born 10 August 1799, John born 22 September 1800 & James born 16 November 1801, all baptised 19 May 1802. Two earlier baptisms on 14 October 1798 for their children Thomas born 5 December 1796 and Sarah born 9 February 1798.

Perhaps another James for you to ponder on, is one in the 1851 census of Hampstead (HO107/1492, folio 363, page 30) who is described as a Wheelwright, born c1800 in Davington, Wilts (1861 census shows him born in West Lavington), married to an Ann with children Frances & John.

Janet

11. The Artful Dodger

Thanks for this - I found her baptism just before I went to bed last night. Today I looked for the marriage and possible offspring but found nothing. There was a burial in Easterton for a 33 year old Richard Wilkins on 22 March 1825.

I have not found anything to convince me about Sarah after this fact

12. janetbooth

I must admit that the only record I found for a seemingly unattached Sarah WILKINS after the marriage in 1817 was a burial at Wootton Bassett on 3 May 1828, aged 33, but that seems a good way away from Market Lavington.

Janet