James Walker's Death

Discussion in 'Ayrshire' started by Peregrine, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

James was baptised on 13 Mar 1743 at Straiton, Ayrshire. His father was a John Walker and mother was Jannat Ferguson.

James married Margaret Carruthers on 3 Mar 1774 in Coylton, Ayrshire. She was baptised 6 Apr 1746 at Canonbie, Dumfries-shire. Her parents were William Carruthers and Helen Armstrang and they lived at Torcoon.

James and Margaret had five children that I have discovered: Jean, Janet, Agnes, James and Margaret who were born/baptised between 1772 and 1788 all at Coylton.

My problem is James Walker's death. Lots and lots of trees have him dying on 5 Jul 1799; some in Ayrshire, some in Aberdeen and some in Mecklenburg, North Carolina. I suspect that the James who died on 5 Jul 1799 was the North Carolina plantation owner and (it looks like he was baptised in Aug 1744 at Peterculter, Aberdeenshire). I have seen a transcript of a will dated 1794 for him.

The two men have been intertwined in so many trees, it's almost impossible to untangle them. But I can't find a death for my James Walker, at least not without spending money on Scotland'sPeople. Before I do that I thought I'd seek some help from my Top Dog friends, can anyone help?

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

You can do a free search at Scotland's People on the Wills and Testament collection. Do you know his profession? To read the actual will documents is pricey, but the descriptions might help you narrow down the possibilities some.

Also, the National Library of Scotland site has searchable post office directories at :
    Code:
    http://digital.nls.uk/gallery.cfm
    You may be able to find James or a widowed Margaret, again to narrow down the time frame and location. It takes a bit to get the hang of searching, though. :reading:

Will pop in again if I find anything or have any brilliant ideas. :rolleyes:

Peregrine and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Peregrine

Checked them both out but came up with nothing for James or Margaret, but did find their son James detailed on both. I presume that James Snr was a farmer, the son certainly was.

GrannyBarb and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

The only James Walker I could find was a burial on FreeReg.

James Walker
    Abode: Village
    Kirkoswald, Ayr
    Church of Scotland
    Burial date: 2 Aug 1827

GrannyBarb and Peregrine like this.
  5. Peregrine

I was not sure about Kirkoswald, but note it is only about 11 miles from where James was born in Straiton. However, his children were born in Coylton, so I assumed that is where he lived and probably died. Margaret though supposedly died in 1823 at Canonbie, where she was born and it is a fair distance away from Coylton (around 90 miles). I have not found her death yet either.

GrannyBarb and Sis like this.
  6. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I haven't been there lately, but Scotland's Places has various docs by location: hearth tax and the like. Again, it costs to view the documents, but you might be able to do a search to see if there are any hits. My connectivity is awful right now (took three tries to Like your previous post), so I will defer the searching to you.

Peregrine and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Did a search on Scotland's People and there is no burial at Coylton for a James WALKER between 1788 & 1840 but there is a burial at Straiton for a James WALKER in 1819 - could this perhaps be your James? Unfortunately, no age at death shown on the Index so it could perhaps be the one born in 1773 or again perhaps not as the 1841 census of Coylton shows a James WALKER born c1776 & the 1851 census of Coylton shows him as born c1774 in Straiton.

Janet

Peregrine likes this.
  8. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The only OPR burial records for Coylton held by SP are from 1783 - 1792. Therefore if James was buried at Coylton between 1793 and 1854 there will be no record. And even in years where death records exist, before 1855 not all deaths were recorded. SP website explains on the OPR Deaths and Burials page.

GrannyBarb and Peregrine like this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Have you considered that through ill health or perhaps imminent death James might have been with one of his children, or some establishment? Without a wife there would be no-one to take care of him in his own home.

Peregrine likes this.
  10. Peregrine

Thanks for doing that Janet, very kind of you.
    That explains a lot, thank you Grizel. I must say that while I like to find someone's death I am willing to accept that sometimes you just can't. On this occassion I was particularly keen to find it to prove or disprove that he did not die in North Carolina and that his details had been confused with the James Walker who had. At this stage I have done enough to believe that he died in Ayrshire. I might consider the option of investigating the North Carolina man instead, but have plenty to keep me occupied on my own line at moment.
    James Walker is my 5 x great grandfather by the way.
    Yes, I had as I see it happening time and again, one or the other parent living with a child and sometimes with a niece or nephew. Or in a workhouse, or an hospital of some sort. Yesterday I learnt about the British Home for Incurables in Streatham, for instance.

Grizel, Sis, Findem and 1 other person like this.