James William Baldwin (1812-abt 1849)

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by George Cooke, Jul 8, 2018.

1. George Cooke

George Cooke Well-Known Member

Dear friends at GS.....I cant believe it has been almost a year since I was on here!! Anyway, I have a question for you all related to DNA....
    I have found that the tool on ancestry.com called ThruLines which I am sure you are all very familiar with, is very useful. If someone has a DNA match to you, it is virtually certain that they are related to you. Sometimes there can be a generation out but the match is conclusive. Not being an expert on how DNA works and how DNA matches work, I am curious as to whether any of you have found that there are people in your tree that you know you are related to, by blood line, but do not show up as DNA matches? Even more curious is a couple of times I have come across people I have a DNA link with, but whose cousins do NOT show up as matches to me!....any ideas anyone? Either there is some sort of logical explanation OR there were some strange goings on, back whenever!!...I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas!!
    Best to you all,
    George (still in Vero Beach, FL)!

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I know nought about DNA and not really interested to find out but I would put the unknown down to ‘strange goings on’ or more precisely ‘hanky panky’ ;)

AnnB, Chimp and Sis like this.
  3. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

You have to be careful with Thrulines. Sometimes it has shown me a false line, because it's going on other people's trees which can be wrong. The DNA match is true, but the ancestors it's assigning to that match could be wrong. With missing matches, it depends how far back you are talking about. When you get back to 4th cousins I think it is, then not all actual relations will share your DNA. But as we get a random half of our DNA from each of our parents, a sibling etc could have got that bit that matches. The further back you go, the less likely it that you will share the same bit of DNA

Ma-dotcom, Sue036 and GrannyBarb like this.
  4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

What @annabel said. Plus mutations. I follow with interest a one-name DNA study on one of my husband's lines that follows the male y-chromosome only. They have noted a few places where two known brothers had variations, which are helpful in one way, but puzzling if you are comparing cousins in later generations. Likewise with the maternal path. My terminology may be a bit off - working from memory.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

It all depends ... as above, everyone gets half of their DNA from each parent but which half is totally random.

Also, everyone has a LOT of DNA so there are many permutations. It's not as if parent A just has two units of DNA (C and D) and parent B also just has two units of DNA (E and F), in which case each of their children could only be one of CE, DE, CF or DF. It is very, very much more complicated than that.

Hence, once you get a short way back it is by no means certain that cousins will have inherited a significant amount of matching DNA. Your first cousin only has half of one of your parent's sibling's DNA, which may not bear as much resemblance to your half of one of their parent's sibling's DNA as you expect. Go back one or two more generations and some cousins may not share enough DNA to show up as a match.

As for Thrulines, handle with care. It is only trying to match whatever is in your Ancestry tree with what is in other people's Ancestry trees. It does look at your DNA matches' trees and it can be very useful, as it searches private trees as well as public ones. However, it is only as good as whatever sense or nonsense people have put in their trees. Moreover, like you, it is only guessing how closely you and your DNA match are related.

It is also very likely that some of the documented relationships in your tree are incorrect, because a child's parents are not always who they think they are nor who the records say they are. That will be true of all of your cousins' trees as well.

Nonetheless, DNA is a very useful tool in helping to verify (or not) paper records and can help to break down 'brick walls' when the paper trail fails.

It is worth reading up on some of the technicalities.

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

My answer was more simple :rolleyes:

Ma-dotcom, Jellylegs, Sue036 and 5 others like this.
  7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

My cousin and I share a maternal line greatgrandfather and do not have a dna match (or so small it is not showing on Anc.).
    Nearly all of my matches are on my paternal side (which could be because not many on the maternal side have taken a dna test:sceptical:), so it would seem in simple terms I inherited more paternal dna than maternal - yet I look like my mumo_O and have inherited her heart gene defect:eek:

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. George Cooke

You may well be right.....but I am hoping for a different explanation!!!..

9. George Cooke

Still smiling at Sue's response!.....so.....my conclusion before trying to read a lot more about all this stuff is that:
    1. Just because there is NOT a DNA match with someone, does not mean you arent related.....
    BUT, 2. If you DO show a DNA match, you almost certainly are related....right?
    Anyway, thanks all of you for your input!!

Ma-dotcom and Sue036 like this.
  10. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Dear me, yes, I never use just one word if twenty-five will do! :eek:

Maybe I should have gone to sleep a bit earlier last night? :rolleyes:

11. George Cooke

No worries, Sue.....its because I am a Libra and an accountant!!....I tend to see things as somewhat Black and White!!!.....
    anyway, much enjoyed the chat! Thanks, All!

Chimp, Sis, Sue036 and 2 others like this.
  12. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Yes, that is correct (unless it's tiny, like below 10cm, in which case there is a chance its noise). The fun bit is working out how ;)

Ma-dotcom and Sue036 like this.
  13. George Cooke

Thanks, Annabel! Like it!....:)