James Wiseman Ipswich

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by Force 399, May 12, 2024.

1. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Hi Guys

Here is another "medal" issue I need help with.

I have a bunch of lodge medals that came with some Royal Flying Corps insignia and I am wondering if they might be related. I have no interest in lodge medals so would not
    keep them with the insignia unless there is some relation. The lodge medals are
    to a James Wiseman of Ipswich who was a member of the Pickwick Lodge. The medals date from the 1920s and 30s putting him in the perfect position of being the brother or relative of a man who was a Flight Sergeant or officer in the RFC. There is a pilot wing
    with the insignia. There is no James Wiseman listed as a pilot or observer in the RFC.
    However there are the following...

Arthur Wiseman
    Charles Patrick Wiseman
    Francis Augustus John B. Wiseman
    Norman Charles Wiseman
    William David Wiseman (Canadian)

Any help would be much appreciated !

Ken

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

How about James Wiseman service number 291259 born 5/4/1892 RAF/RFC enlisted 1918 a labourer. Lives of the First World War. Also listed Royal Flying Corps Index to Rank and File, Surnames ‘W’.

Force 399 likes this.
  3. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Hi Sue

I checked that record and it says he was a "batman" and a "aircraft handler." So the only way I think he could have got his hands on these pilots wings is his role as batman. Maybe he took a set of wings from his officer?

I am still thinking that James Wiseman is the brother of an RFC officer.

There was also a DORIC LODGE MEDAL with a bar on the ribbon with No. 81 on it. It was named to MAJOR W.H. HART. No W.H. Hart in RFC either but lots of Hart's were fliers.

Since all the rest of the medals are to James Wiseman I wanted to tackle him first.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Although your James has no history of actually earning his wings, could he have embellished his own history when he joined the Lodge? It wouldn’t be the first time.
    Sorry, we were typing at the same time.

5. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Ya that is possible but there is also a RAF wing which may or may not be with it which would suggest a longer career in the RFC-RAF. The group of stuff are about eight lodge medals, RFC and RAF pilot wings and RAF officers post 1920s forage cap badge. Thats it. All medals named to James Wiseman except the one to Hart.

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

If you google 'Suffolk Freemasons', you will find a they have a website with a contact section, and it just might be worth asking them about the lodge medals belonging to James Wiseman.

Chimp and Force 399 like this.
  7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I know you wanted to concentrate on James Wiseman first, but not having found anything useful (yet) on him, I've turned to Major Hart. He appears to have been Major Hubert Willingham Hart, a member of Doric Lodge No 81 since 1894 according to the Freemason Membership Registers on Ancestry, (I can find no mention of a James Wiseman in the Pickwick Lodge in the same registers, but I have no idea how complete or incomplete these registers are on Ancestry.) I say he appears to be as this matches the Masonic connection, but you say that the medal says it was awarded to Major W. H. Hart. I can't find anything relating to a Major W. H. Hart.

Major Hart doesn't seem to have any connection to the RAF/RFC but was in the 4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment and in 1914 was in the 10th Battalion Middlesex Regiment. From the East Anglian Daily Times 12th December 1914
    upload_2024-5-13_10-32-22.png

There is mention of him as a member of the Doric Lodge in some papers. The Doric Lodge was previously named the Pilot's Lodge
    Code:
    https://woodbridgemasoniccentre.org/history
    This is from an article in the East Anglian Daily Times of the 9th January 1909 with an account of Major Hart being installed as the "Worshipful Master"
    Masonry in Woodbridge - "Doric" Lodge Installation - The installation, festival and anniversary of St John the Evangelist, in connection with the "Doric" Lodge (No 81), the second oldest Lodge in the Province of Suffolk, was celebrated on Friday night in the Masonic Hall. At the outset the Worshipful Master (W. Bro. Colonel R. J. Carthew P.P.J.G.W.) presided and was supported by the Senior Warden (Bro. Major Hubert W. Hart)......
    W. Bro. Col. Carthew gave "The Worshipful Master," and in doing so commented upon the excellent way in which Major Hart had discharged his duties so far, and expressed the conviction that the Worshipful Master would perform his duties during the year with satisfaction to all. The Worshipful Master, in acknowledging the compliment, announced his intention to do his work to their satisfaction, provided that be received the assistance and support of his officers. He bespoke that cordial help, and tendered his gratitude for the kindly manner in which they had drunk his health.

According to the 1901 census, Hubert Willingham Hart was a Corn and Coal Merchant in Thoroughfare, Woodbridge, Suffolk, in 1939 he is still there recorded as a retired coal merchant. He was married to Isabella Daisy Balch and died in 1944, but I can find nothing about his death in the papers, Suffolk isn't well covered at that time.

Apologies if none of the above is of any use, but it's kept me occupied while it's raining :rolleyes:

Chimp, Force 399 and MollyMay like this.
  8. MollyMay

I can only find one John Wiseman in Ipswich.

1911 census living at 83 Lacy Street, Ipswich. Born 1875 in Long Melford Suffolk. He is a Grocer's assistant, with his wife Caroline Alice and 1 daughter.
    The family are at the same address in 1921, he is still a grocer's assistant
    In 1939, John and Caroline are living in Woodbridge Suffolk with their married daughter and John's occupation is now Master Grocer.

Tracing John backwards -
    1901 Cemetery Rd., Ipswich with wife and child RG13/1780/29/8
    1891 Cock and Bell Lane Long Melford, living in the family home with parents John and Amelia and sibling RG12/1443/116/22
    1881 same address, shows a brother Arthur born 1871
    I have traced this Arthur, but cannot find any links to him being in the Military (perhaps someone else can though). He is living with his wife and family in Bedfordshire in 1911, and is a bootmaker, he remains in Bedford, Bedfordshire, living in the same street, through 1921 and 1939.

Chimp and Force 399 like this.
  9. MollyMay

Of these Norman Charles heralds from New Zealand, Charles Patrick from South Africa and Francis Augustus John Bartholomew from Ireland, although he was a Masonic Lodge member (in Farnhborough Hampshire - North Camp Lodge)
    There are 3 Arthur's none of which have a Suffolk address.

AnnB, Chimp and Force 399 like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

The only other James Wiseman I came close to finding from the RAF was shot down in the Netherlands on 22/2/1944. Flight Lt James Wiseman 120629, pilot Sterling 111 EJ 125. 218 Squadron Volunteers. He was born in Edinburgh to Herbert and Agnes Wiseman. Unfortunately he was born in 1920.

Force 399 likes this.
  11. Force 399

Force 399 Member

Thanks everyone! It is very likely then that the medals have nothing to do with Wiseman or Hart unless Wiseman in the RFC / RAF as batman pilfered one from his officer. But it all helps as it makes it easier to lose the medals then without worrying about an obvious connection -THANKS AGAIN !

AnnB, Chimp, Daft Bat and 1 other person like this.