Jane Mackie from Culsalmond?

Discussion in 'Aberdeenshire' started by Dunstergirl, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Have hit a brick wall in finding the ancestors for my great-great-grandmother Jane (maybe Janet) Mackie b Jan. 1828 in Culsalmond. (She's not the one born in July 1828; that one can be traced in the UK thru censuses). Mine emigrated to Canada and married William Cosford (b. 1818) in 1846. He was a son of John and Martha Cosford who came to Canada in 1819, settled first in Tecumseh, Simcoe County, but then moved in the spring of 1846 to Wellington county, the Queen's Bush area. Ontario marriage records for all of John's kids except my Wm and Jane can be found; most were married by dear brother Rev. Tom Cosford. Oldest child for Wm and Jane born in Wellington cty in 1847. Have searched the OPRs for Culsalmond such as available online. Can't find Jane's birth or marriage record to unlock her parents. Suspect a Mathew & Tryphena given naming pattern of children appears to be the old Scottish way. Devout Wesleyan Methodists at least in Canada. Have scoured history books and ship manifests. Help me find a Mackie needle in the haystack of Mackies??? please...of course could be McKie, MacKie, Mackay but was spelled consistently Mackie. Think Culsalmond is definite birthplace as is cited often. help, direction, all is welcome. Thks.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Hi Dunstergirl, welcome to Top Dog C|:-), pleased you have joined us. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your queries, they're a very knowledgeable bunch on here.

Could I ask you to go into your profile and give the location you are from. It will save our members sending you off to look at records that you live nowhere near.

Have fun :)

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Culsalmond, a hamlet and a parish in Garioch district, Aberdeenshire. www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16488
    I learned quite a bit about this area but found no Jane.

A Jane Mackie was a passsenger on the Chambly Apr 19 1931 St.Laurence Steamboat passengers. Fare to be paid on arrival Quebec by Constable? McHabe or M Hale.
    Jane Mackie
    arrived in Ontario 1837
    the source only led to Familysearch page but I found nothing more concrete.
    I saw your Jane with William & two sons on 1851 census, also several other Jane Mackies usually married, in same area Ontario West. makes searching less easy.

4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hi Dunstergirl and welcome. Have a good old root around and make yourself comfortable. They are a friendly lot in here C|:-)

5. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Thanks, Wendy. I had boned up on Culsalmond and neighborhood; that is a good site. Your lead on a ship manifest is new to me. Will pursue. I do have them well tracked after 1847 right to the grave. We got the Feb. 6 1846 marriage date handed down from family sources; because it is so specific and quoted in several places, it sounds authentic. Same for the birth date. I have poked around the counties neighboring Simcoe in Ontario (East and West Gwillumbury, Tay, etc.) as they were all settled mostly by Scots. Read the bio of Mrs. john Graves Simcoe, Hunter's history of Simcoe County, emailed Lucille Campey who's written several books on Scots in Canada (she did a lot of her research in the archives in Aberdeen) Those other Jane Mackies in Ontario I've traced and talked to a descendant of one to confirm her Jane who came over with a mother actually did marry another guy....I'm hoping someone near Culsalmond knows where some stray church records might have gone....or someone in Ontario knows about some other church records.
    Thanks for the lead on the Chambly!
    Dunstergirl.

6. Ma-dotcom

Are these of interest?:

Jane Mckay baptised: 6 Feb 1828 Culsalmond,Aberdeen,Scotland. pts:George,+Janet Allan
    ....also:
    [John Mackie baptised: 18 Jun 1830 Culsalmond,Aberdeen,Scotland. Pts:George,+Janet Allan]
    A John Mackie abt 1830 Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire Servant- Insch Aberdeenshire.
    Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561-1910
    George Mckie married Janet Allan
    11 Sep 1823: Forgue,Aberdeen,Scotland
    FHL Film Number: 993183
    .........Forgue to Culsalmond 8.6 miles.

Jannet Macky
    Born:15 Mar 1832
    Baptised: 16 Apr 1832 Culsalmond,Aberdeen,Scotland
    pts: George Macky + Jannet Allan
    FHL Film Number: 993179
    possible find for this one on Scotlands census 1841-51.
    George Mackie married Margaret Robertson
    18 Aug 1833: Culsalmond,Aberdeen,Scotland
    ........not found a death for a Janet to accompany this as same George.

Not found a definite entry on census 1841 to cover George, Janet(Allan) Janet & John. Actual birth parishes are not given.

7. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Wendy:
    Indeed those look very promising. Where did you find them? a Feb 6 baptism after a Jan28 birth fits, the fact there's no 1841 census on them. Insch and Forgue are a bike ride away....where might I see the film?
    getting tingley here....
    Dunstergirl.

8. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

:

Sorry, Ma-dotcom (not Wendy)
    Silly me, of course I want to see those records; they named my great-grandfather b. 1852 GEORGE ALLEN.....
    Dunstergirl

9. Ma-dotcom

I'm still Wendy for longer than I've been Ma-dotcom.
    I spotted these on Scotlands select birhs on Ancestry so looked them up on F.S. they may have been user contributions. Ran out of time.
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYX7-SQ
    Son John Mackie

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYXQ-6HT
    Name: Jannet Macky
    Christening Date: 16 Apr 1832
    Christening Place: CULSALMOND,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
    Birth Date: 15 Mar 1832
    Pts: George Macky+ Jannet Allan

Ancestry:
    Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 about Jane Mckay
    Name: Jane Mckay
    Baptism: 6 Feb 1828.Culsalmond,Aberdeen,Scotland
    Pts: George Mckay +Janet Allan

[that's a Family History Library film number I believe]
    Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
    Original data: Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.

Found the first two on F H. but didn't find Jane.1828. sorry G'kiddies coming for stay over so must move along.

10. ronnie

ronnie New Member

Hello
    My gg Grandmother was Amelia Mackie who was born so far as I know in Culsalmond in 1810approx her parents were William Mackie a farmer and Jane Cruickshank This may or not be of help to you Amelia married an Alexander Fyfe in 1858 but I cannot find any trace of their burials. There is some family history that said they went to Canada but I have no evidence of this
    Ronnie

GrannyBarb and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hi Ronnie, good to see you. Would you be kind enough to put your location into your profile so we don't send you off on wild goose chases. Make yourself comfy and get posting. C|:-)

12. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Thanks, Ronnie
    I'll take a look at those. The George Mackie and Janet Allen are most intriguing but I have no irrefutable proof on them. Am still casting about so will see what I can connect with your lead.
    Much appreciated,
    Dunstergirl

Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.
  13. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Hi everyone:
    Good news--I've cracked the brick wall. A 'cousin' came forward after seeing my tree on Ancestry, and my comments on Jane Mackie's page. Turns out he is descended from one of Jane's sisters (Isabella Mackie) AND back in 1978 had acquired transcripts from a family Bible started in 1765! True--Jane's parents were indeed a George Mackie and Janet Allen. George was born in Banff, Banffshire Feb 15, 1795 to George Mackie Sr. and Janet Rough. I have a few details for two gens back from that. Aren't bibles precious!!! Older brother Alex Mackie was born in Banff May 13, 1793 and younger sister Jean November 30, 1796. George Jr. and Janet Allen had a son George before my Jane, a John after--those would be the correct baptisms earlier in this thread taking place in Culsalmond, and two sisters (Isabella and Janet). Then mother Janet Allen Mackie died in 1836 (Culsalmond?) and the family headed to Upper Canada likely in 1837 (no record yet). Ten year old George seems to have died on the passage. Father George re-married in Uxbridge, Ontario to a Janet Ross and they had two daughters--Elspet and Ellen/Helen. Son John died at a young age (22) and sisters Isabella, Jane, Janet married and had families....
    Can I get help finding Janet Allen Mackie grave in Culsalmond (maybe Banff?) Am trying to find evidence of the 1837 immigration (George and five kids plus maybe a sister-in-law; family lore is that it was a 'sister' that died in passage, but it seems to have been son George who never made it across the pond.)
    Thanks,
    Dunstergirl

Sis, AnnB, GrannyBarb and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Brilliant news Dunstergirl. We should all have transcripts or a whole Family bible handed down.
    [ I actually have a copy of some end-pages & one letter re a Gt.Gt.Aunt which began more queries than it answered ;)]
    Have had a quick look about for burial,- there is a v.good site with world wide listing the name of which I cannot quickly think of. may be worth a visit to Scotland's People.

Sis likes this.
  15. Dunstergirl

Dunstergirl New Member

Thanks, just missed a freebie/discounted weekend access to Scotland's People. Will keep an eye out for that again. Have lots of new info to process, and still prodding the other new cousin for more pix of that Bible. Should go into a local pioneer museum where more people might appreciate it. Has been rescued twice from near death by 'barn/attic storage' we hear. The three gens in Scotland were all by 'lawful marriage' as per the bible, so will also be looking for those records among OPRs. Looks like all devout Scots Presyterians.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
    Sis, Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  16. Ma-dotcom

I've had a look cannot find a death fr a 'Janet Mackie'[Allen] 1835-1837 in Aberdeenshire. None at all with a "George' also mentioned -several have no 'other' name listed.
    I didn't try her with just Allen, then was timed out. Have a few other posts on the boil. If you want to look at what I have do say.
    Only two actual 'Mackie' spellings.
    Didn't try Catholics.