Jane WALKER/HARVEY died btwn 1851 and 1861 Censuses. When? Where?

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by Murfomurf, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

How can I tell which death record belongs to Jane Walker/Harvey from all the available ones in the BMD? I have found 3 nominally in Walsall at the time, but her address in 1851 being Blue Lane, Walsall puts her closer to Birmingham for death registration. Is there a method for looking up UK death registrations that I don't know about? I usually look at FreeBMD, the West Midlands separate BMD website and Probate records.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

The General Register Office (where you can buy UK bmd certificates from), have their own index. This has more information than others for births and deaths.
    For births it gives the mother's maiden name and with deaths it gives the age on the certificate (one little thing to remember is that if a child's age is given in months on the d/c it will show as years on the index - so 1 month = 1 year, 18 months = 18years - knowing this you can usually recognise the one you are looking for).
    If you have not used them before you have to register (it is free) and once you have logged on you can search for free.
    If you need any help negotiating the site - shout :)

edit - this is the website https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Flook, Chimp, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  3. Murfomurf

I can negotiate the site OK, thank you, but I cannot distinguish among the Jane Walkers who died during the period.
    WALKER, JANE 51 GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in UTTOXETER UNION Volume 06B Page 147
    WALKER, JANE 46 GRO Reference: 1854 M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 83
    also in FreeBMD with birth dates apparently out of range but registered in Walsall are:

Deaths Dec 1858 Walker Jane Walsall 6b 387

Deaths Jun 1860 WALKER Jane Walsall 6b 343

Deaths Dec 1860 Walker Jane Walsall 6b 333

Should I just bite the bullet and order certificate copies for the first two?
    Thank you.

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Age 4
    Age 56
    Age 6

Bearing in mind age 4 and age 6 could be months not years

Murfomurf likes this.
  5. Murfomurf

I have settled on a death record of MAR 1854 registered in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England; V6d p83 aged 46 years, as I discovered some evidence that Jane (Boden) was born in 1809. Unless someone else claims this record for their relative, this one can stand. Therefore, question answered and problem solved. Thank you MollyMay.

6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I don't know if the burial record will help at all, but Jane WALKER was buried at Birmingham St Paul on 19 February 1854 of Novascotia Street, aged 46 (image available to view on Ancestry).

Janet

Murfomurf and Sis like this.
  7. Murfomurf

Thank you! That seals it- sure to be her. I might search some of the gravestone sites and see if other family are buried there. My cousin Lyn Exley might be able to drive over and have a look too. Thanks Janet.

Sis likes this.