Job and Richard Legg(e) b. 1854

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 12, 2018.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I am having trouble with these two gentlemen, and it just occurred to me that they might actually be the same man ;)

Job, son of David and Jane (nee Hansford), born Burton Bradstock, registered Mar 1854 Bridport RD, baptised 11 Dec 1859 at Burton Bradstock

Job can be found with parents in Burton Bradstock, in 1861 and 1881
    Richard can be found with parents in Burton Bradstock in 1871

Richard Legge marries 1892 in Newington, Surrey (London), and can be found in Bermondsey in 1901 and 1911.

I can find no birth reg or baptism for Richard. There are a few Job Leggs floating around Dorset in the 1900s and I am not convinced by any of them despite whatever Ancestry trees might say.

So, am I mad, or are they the same person?

His brother Joseph appears to have gone to the Channel Islands and called himself George, if he hadn't reverted to Joseph in 1911 I would not have found him. Job/Richard has not been so accommodating

2. mugwortismy cat

Census refs:
    For Job
    1861 RG9: 1366: 13: 20
    1881 RG11: 2122: 12: 16

for Richard
    1871 RG10: 2027: 21: 33
    1901 RG13: 394: 43: 17
    1911 RG14: 1877: schedule 483

i have not found either in 1891

3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Just to say I've been having a really good look at this family and what I thought may have been its oddities, but I've nearly convinced myself that if everything is authentic then there doesn't seem to be any good reason why Job and Richard aren't the same man.

I do have a few problems though.

3 Legg children are baptised on 11th December 1859 in Burton Bradstock: Job, Ann Eliza and Elijah.
    Even if the marginal notes in the register relating to their individual births are a bit sloppy and have been mixed up, then who are Ann Elizabeth and Elijah? That begs the question who is Job?. He was 'born two years before' but we know that David and Jane's Job was born March Quarter 1854. That's a puzzler, not least because Jane would seem to have been about 43 when the 1854 Job was born. Were they in fact someone else's children? (or are the marginal notes nonsense and Ann Eliza is the girl who is aged 10 on the 1861 Census?).

My other problem is Richard's age on the 1911 Census which when I first saw it I thought was 64 - and coming back to it I still think it's 64. That's another puzzler for me.

Perhaps I've missed a trick and am getting it all wrapped round my neck a bit, but I just thought I'd air my queries.

Think note: I'm not keen on guesses that can't be verified but I suppose it's possible that the 1854 Job felt that 'Job' was too uncool for life in London (too Old Testament, too rustic (?)) - who knows.

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

What a confusing lot :eek:. They were very fluid with their ages:nailbiting:

I looked for Richard where you had Job and visa versa, and have come to the same conclusion as you they are one and the same.
    I could see nothing in 1891 which could be Richard/Job - perhaps he tried another different name then:sceptical:

Ma-dotcom, Flook and mugwortismy cat like this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

it is also possible he wanted to make sure he wasn't confused with his cousin Job Cole alias Legg, born 9 months before him in the neighbouring village :sceptical:

6. mugwortismy cat

Thank you both for your replies. I can't see any other answer except to believe Job and Richard are one and the same

Yes, ages are all over the place o_O

And yes, Ann Eliza and Elijah have led me their own merry little dances ... In fact Ann is still unresolved, though I am considerably further forward with her than I once was

I am a descendant of their brother James, who was no trouble :)

Ma-dotcom, Jellylegs, AnnB and 3 others like this.
  7. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Oh well, they were the same man. It just struck me to have a look on FreeBMD as to when Richard died. 1927 seemed to cut it. Then to the GRO Death Indexes and lo and behold Job Legge, born c1854, death registered in St Olave RD in March 1927 (the entry is duplicated under Richard as well).

That's very satisfying :).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Oh well done Flook, I have been going round in as many circles as everyone else......thanks for that Christel, it certainly kept me occupied for an hour or two :D ;)

9. mugwortismy cat

Very satisfying indeed :D

Jellylegs likes this.
  10. Diane Holloway

Diane Holloway New Member

Hi everybody. Richard Legge is my great grandfather. Job was his brother.
    Regards, Diane (nee Legge).

mugwortismy cat, Sis, Sue036 and 2 others like this.
  11. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

12. mugwortismy cat

Hi Diane, how nice to meet you.

If you read through the whole thread you will see that we concluded that Richard and Job were the same person. The documentary evidence being that his death was registered under both names.

Christel