John and Jane emigration 1885

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Genie1, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Clutching at straws .
    Found a family in Nevada Township ,Nevada, California. The census has the family emigrating in 1885 and I also see a Beckerleg family close to them as well but I can't find emigration details of John and Jane
    The 1900,1930 and 1940 censuses have John 1879,Margaret 1880 which are the correct years of birth.
    The only difference is that husband John is John M instead of plain John and Thomas J instead of William Thomas.
    There is a son named William born in June 1886 in California. if his birth can be found it would at least,I hope,give his mother's maiden name.

2. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Wanted Goffin to win tennis but he isn't so back to this.
    I have found them at last:)
    New York passenger list 6th October 1884-15 November 1884.
    John and Jane are with their children John,Annie and William. Born Cornwall and going to California.
    They are travelling with John's brother Stephen and his family.
    Stephen and his wife Fanny Jane had a daughter name Janie born 1888 in California.Stephen and company returned to Cornwall.
    Both men are farmers.
    Had to look for John's family and decided on Stephen which was lucky.

Edit. It should read John and Jane Richards emigrated.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    Doug and Half Hour like this.
  3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

They are the right family.
    Managed to find some of their deaths on a site that I hadn't come across before. Their mother's name was Beckerleg.
    That is another branch sorted.