John Connor (aka O'Connor) born 1847/8

Discussion in 'Kent' started by BernardOC, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

John Connor was born 1847 at Ayton, Berwickshire, Scotland. Parents Jeremiah and Catherine.
    I have traced John up to the 1861 Census when he was 14 and living with his parents in Providence Place, Northfleet, Kent.
    After this the only sighting I can find that MAYBE the right track is in the 1871 Census he's a Lodger in Islington, Middlesex. In this he says he is Widowed.and his birth place EDINBRGH SCOTLAND although on later Census he just puts Scotland. I cannot find any marriage though. Then in 1881 he turns up in Regent Street Westminster married to Henritta. his birth place just Scotland. Looking at the eldest child age I worked back and found that Henritta was a widow with married name Lott. So she remarried to John. Then in 1901 he's still around in Oxford Street, giving his birth place Edinburgh.
    This John is the only one I can find that seems to match the John in Northfleet. But then the Census returns make it doubtful.
    So any assistance in solving this and confirming my findings or alternative data will be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

BernardOC likes this.
  3. patten-walsh

John O'Connor married May Edith Day 1909 Barnet Middlesex

4. patten-walsh

John married in 1866 to Emily Adeline Bond Saunders Islington Jul-Sep quarter.
    Emily died November 1870 and was buried 16 Nov 1870 at St Pancras & Islington Cemetery, 278 High Rd, London N2, she was age 27 and address was 4,Clifton Terrace,Islington. According to a couple of Ancestry trees she had a daughter Mary b.1868 and the only record on the GRO is for a Mary Josephine O'Connor mothers maiden name Saunders ,but born in Kirkstall Registration District, Yorkshire

Half Hour likes this.
  5. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

Hi and thanks for this. It seems to connect to John Connor in 1871 census as a boarder in Islington. But then I am still not sure whether this John Connor is the same one in 1861 who was living with his patrents Jeremiah and Catherine in Northfleet, Kent. The dob connects but the John I'm interested in was born Ayton, Berwickshire, Scotland. The John in Islington In the 1871 census he says Edinurgh, Scotland in 1881 he just puts Scotland and in 1901 and 1911 Edinburgh.. So is he confused to his birthplace?
    This is my dilemma.

6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I don't know if you have already gone down this line, pardon the pun, but the John O'CONNOR in Islington shows that he is a Clerk in the Gt W Railway. Ancestry's Great Western Railway records show a John CONNOR as a Clerk Accountants Department, born 19 June 1847, entering the Railway on 23 November 1863 and resigning on 31 July 1887. Do you have the actual date of birth of your John (O') CONNOR and if so does it correspond with the John CONNOR Railway Clerk?

Janet

7. patten-walsh

The problemn now is that there is a batism of a John Connor born 17 June 1847 and baptised 27 June 1847 at St John's, Barrhead, Renfrew. Parents Peter & Margaret. Could be the same one as in the GWR records as only 2 days out on the birth.

8. patten-walsh

On the 1841 census for Ayton, Jeremiah and Catherine are shown with 5 children, a John age 11, Elizabeth 9 b. England, Catherine 7 not born Scotland, Jeremiah 5, Letitia 1month.

9. patten-walsh

On the link to coastguards on post 2 above I see that they had 2 John's one 1830 and one b.1847 so the one on the 1841 census must be the first one.

10. patten-walsh

There was John Connor baptism 27 June 1847 at St John's Barrhead,Renfrew date of birth given as 17 June 1847, I wonder.

11. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

That's correct. The first John was a Naval trainee. Not yet found date he died.
    The John of 1847 (1848 on one census), is the only one if his 7 siblings that I am unable to confidently trace after the 1861 Census.
    Itslooking as if the JohnO'Connor in Islington is a possible red herring.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  12. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

Hi
    Originally the family name was Connor. From the Census records and some family documents they changed to O'Connor between the 1861 and 1871 Census. Also between these dates Jeremiah moved his family from Northfleet to 53 British Street,Bow, East London.
    I cannot find his day/month of his birth. The 1847 date was taken from the and working back from the Census birth dates. Not scientific! But after the 1861 census I just cannot find any hard evidence other than the details already outlined in my threads. This is frustrating for Johns seven other siblings I've got full details from birth to death.
    I alighted onto John, Islington because his work as a Clerk in GWR. His other siblings found stable work, e.g Draper,Clerk at Shipping Co., Master Cert in Merchant Navy and Sisters as Dressmakers.
    It's looking very much that the John Islington is incorrect. If so where did the John Connor previous of Northfleet(1861 Census) end up?

13. patten-walsh

Have you obtained a copy of the marriage cert in 1873 to Henrietta Lott as this will give fathers name and occupation and you can them rule him out as not being your John or confirm it. Also it would show his status at time of marriage and if it says "widow" then this would also confirm that he was possibly the husband of Emily Adeline.
    After this I would get a copy of the marriage to Emily Adeline in 1866 and see fathers name and occupation there.
    If you are not able to afford the cost of these two certs then, because I like a good chase I would get them, after all I spend around £1,000 per year on this hobby which I enjoy so it doesn't matter what it's spent on.

Sis likes this.
  14. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

Yes that the way to go now. My Cousin who is also working on our Family trees will be arranging the Copy Certs. Thanks for you offer.

15. patten-walsh

Thanks, hopefully you will get, from the certs, what you are seeking, please let us know of the outcome.

16. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Fingers crossed and do let us know the outcome.

Janet