John Day Suffolk

Discussion in 'Suffolk' started by Homebird, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

That of course would be if they did in fact get married.

Daft Bat likes this.
  2. Homebird

Homebird Member

Hi Chimp, sorry have been busy this week but just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you for your help. I am still confused because on Minna bc Mary Ann is Mitchell ne Day and on Harry's she is Day ne mitchell. Ancestry sent me a hint too that Robert Mitchell is my 2nd G Grandad. Think I'll just work round John if I can and hope something will pop up.
    Take care x

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Chimp

When a child's birth is registered a surname is given i.e. fathers name and the mother has to give her unmarried (or former) surname.

In Minna's case it was:-

Father = John Mitchell
    Mother = Mary Ann Mitchell (married name) formerly Day.

By the time Harry came along the family had chosen to be known as Day.

So on his registration:

Father - John Day
    Mother = Mary Ann Day (married name) formally (well what could she put, the Day surname had already been used, the only name left was) Mitchell.

4. Homebird

Homebird Member

Hi Chimp,
    I sent for the mc of James Mitchell and Mary Ann Day, it appears that James was a widow which we knew but Mary Ann was too!! James father was Richard Mitchell and Mary Ann's father was John Belsham. Both James and Mary Ann were illiterate leaving their marks. Is the net closing, I do hope so lol

5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

That cofirms my post #31 then, Mary Ann's previous Husband was David Day:)

Ma-dotcom, Elsiesgirl and Chimp like this.
  6. Homebird

Homebird Member

Hi Molly May
    I think I have now got the Mary Ann's sorted. Mary Ann Belcham (who married James Mitchell was Day) her father (John) was convicted of sheep stealing and sentenced to 15 years and transported 1842 on the ship Moffat to Van Diemens Land. I would now like to find out if he stayed or came home can you point me in the right direction please. When they have served their time do they get transport home if they want because I think some may stay after 15 years. Thank you your help is really appreciated

Ma-dotcom and Elsiesgirl like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

In a word...NO. If a convict wants to go back after he has served his time or received a full pardon, not a conditional pardon, then he has to pay for it himself. That's why not very many returned.
    I truly believe when a convict question pops up on here, lights flash and bells ring on my computer.....

8. Homebird

Homebird Member

Thanks Archie's Mum looks like I'll be looking at Australia/Tasmania then. Why does your computer act so when a convict question appears lol ? This is my first black sheep I have found in the family so far and my dads side has gone back to the 1100s but this is my mums side which is surprising but don't they say the quiet ones are the worse !

9. Archie's Mum

I've had a quick look for him, John Belcham, he is listed as Belchamp on the index but can't find anything after his conditional pardon recommendation in 1852. I only had a quick look though. He could have changed his name or left Tassie and went elsewhere in the colony.

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  10. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

So do I:D I immediately think "Where's AM when she's needed" and up she pops!;):D

11. MollyMay

Thanks AM:) - Homebird, I have no idea how to research convicts in Australia, but luckly you have AM on the case:D

12. Homebird

Homebird Member

Thank you Molly May for all your help if I could drop you some chocolates off I would because my Mary Ann brick wall has been demolished. Archie's mum thank you also Ill just keep looking he has to at least died somewhere but I would like to think he made a life for himself

Elsiesgirl, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  13. MollyMay

What a lovely thought():-), I am happy to accept the virtual chocolate because it will not inches to my waistline:D

Let us hope AM can sleuth some more info on your man;)

Sis, Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

If there's anything more out there in him I'm sure AM will find it:)

Archie's Mum and MollyMay like this.
  15. Homebird

Homebird Member

You are all little sparkly gems x

Half Hour, Sis, Archie's Mum and 3 others like this.
  16. Archie's Mum

Not having a sub anywhere certainly doesn't help but I will try, I promise. I will systematically work my way around this great continent in my endeavours. I had another look in Tassie early this morning and he is not there under that name....Belcham, Bellchamp, Belsham. I did find a death of a Thomas Belsham, father John in 1860'ish. I will look further into him. For now though...duty calls.

Elsiesgirl and Sis like this.
  17. Archie's Mum

:confused::confused::confused:
    How I feel trying to read all these previous posts so I will leave those to those who already have sorted that out, but......
    In searching for John Belcham(p) in Oz I decided to have a look over there for him before he pinched some sheep.
    Is that him on 1841 census with wife Susan, daughter Mary Ann 5 and son Henry 2 living at Hall Street Melford?
    If so then on his convict records he has a wife Susan still living there in 1842 but 3 children, Mary, Louisa and Elizabeth. No sign of Henry. John is a silk weaver.
    There is also a marriage in 1831 of John Belcham and Susan Grice in Melford in 1831 which gives him loads of time to acquire the three children on the record. But where are the girls, Louisa and Elizabeth on 1841 census and where is Henry when he was convicted?
    Baptised Henry Frederick Belshamp 29/8/1839 Suffolk father John, mother Susan

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Sis likes this.
  18. Chimp

Some about him on the 'Founders Servivors' site. (but stuff you already know)
    Code:
    http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/ai04231

Sis likes this.
  19. Chimp

His surname is also spelled Belchamp in this newspaper report.

The Suffolk Chronicle; or Weekly General Advertiser & County Express. 19th March 1842

William Lingley, (39,) Thomas Simpson, (26,) and John Belchamp, (32,) were charged with stealing two sheep the property of Patrick Ostler, of Melford. Lingley and Simpson pleaded Guilty. Belchamp, pleaded Not Guilty. - Verdict, Guilty. 15 years transportation each.

Elsiesgirl and Sis like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

I've searched high and low. He must have changed his name. I'm starting to think that the 3 girls, Mary, Louisa and Elizabeth may be his sisters because on the report there an 'S' before their names. But Susan, definitely his wife.

Sis likes this.