John Edward Burt Oram

Discussion in 'London' started by Eve, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Help ! I recently made a note

John Edward Burt Oram (1870)
    On attestation
    Engine cleaner L N W Railway Loco shed Camden
    Address 44 Ferdinand Place, NW1

Presumably from Military records of some description but can’t bloomin’ find where I got it from
    I’ve looked on both Ancestry and FMP but can’t locate it again - can't think of where else I could have got it from :(
    I don’t know whether it was under his full name ( usually a quite distinctive combination) or whether a truncated form or whether I made it up !!

I would be grateful, more in hope than expectation, if any fresh eyes can find anything

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you tried searching your computer's history and using keywords such as Oram?

Jellylegs likes this.
  3. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Yes, Im using my MacBook and can't get very far back at all. I might try my iPad but again, I don't think it goes too far back and even so, there is sooooo much on there to Wizz through. Might check with my son to see if I can adjust the macbook's history.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've found his Probate on M H. Any good?

I then keyed in his name birth & death date wife's4 names & lots are popping up on Ancestry.
    1909 -34 Napier st. Hoxton etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Eve likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Apologies, I missed the 'Attestation' part of your post. :(
    Do you have access to 'Fold3'?

6. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

No, sadly not, I’m beginning to think I made it up - unless I’ve attributed it to the wrong person.

Ma-dotcom and Andromeda like this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Could the Military record be for a different John ORAM, Eve? John Edward Burt ORAM's profession on both his marriage record and the 1911 census is that of either a Tin Foil Cutter or Roller and as Wendy has said there is a Probate Calender entry for him in 1931. However, there is a John ORAM on the 1939 Register born in 1872 living at 19 Bryanstone Road, Haringey who is a retired Railway Goods Checker. Perhaps another candidate is a J A ORAM who is shown on Ancestry's Railway Employment records as born 10 October 1870 and is listed as an Apprentice. Not that it helps you, or me either for that matter, to find the original Attestation record that you noted down does it!!

Janet

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking Janet, yes you’re right - Tinfoil is a recurring profession, so I don’t think it is his record at all. I don’t have another John Oram of a suitable age, so I think it must be a completely different family where I’m sure I have come across a railway worker, it’s just a case of finding which one !

janetbooth and Ma-dotcom like this.