John Houlihan in the US Civil War

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by juliespav, Feb 4, 2014.

1. juliespav

juliespav Member

Hello everyone, I'm hoping a US expert might have some guidance for me.

My G-G-Grandfather John Houlihan emigrated to the US from Ireland (not sure when yet!), and was resident in Dunbarton, New Hampshire.

From information from a new found Houlihan cousin, I have found John Houlihan on Ancestory records for the US Civil War Draft.

I would really like to find out more about his service during the US civil war, but I have no idea where to even start!

My Great Grandmother Ellen aka Nellie was born in Dunbarton in 1872 (8th child), and my father believes the whole family went back to Ireland when she was still a small child (but I haven't found any information for that either).

I hope someone can guide me to appropriate information web sites, thank you to everyone in advance.

Julie

2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Julie.

If he served with a New Hampshire regiment this site may be useful. http://www. nh.gov/nhculture/nh_civilwar.htm

juliespav likes this.
  3. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Julie. If you can find what Regiment he served in, then you can look it up at the U.S. National Parks Service site: http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/index.htm

I did a name search for John Houlihan, but found none in New Hampshire. The search does not support wildcards for alternate spellings.

Fold3 holds many U.S. military records (they are owned by Ancestry), but unless he or a family member received a pension, he may be difficult to find.

Did he have any brothers who also served?

I will think on this some more....

Barb

juliespav likes this.
  4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Okay. Here's what I found:

From the site nh-heritage.com he is listed as John Houlehan, Dunbarton, Private age 28, 8/19/63 (enlistment date).

Then from the NPS: John Houlehan is an alternate name for John D./ Hoolehan (the name his official records will be filed under) and was in the 5th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry, Company D and C, mustered out a Private.

You can use the link above to view the record and that of the regiment, which is reported to have lost more soldiers than any other in the entire Union army during the war.

Generic internet searching on the Regiment may get you more information. Also knowing how the army spelled his name may uncover other records. Have fun!

Barb

Eve, juliespav and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. juliespav

juliespav Member

Wow Barb thank you so much, I've now got information overload, this should keep me out of mischief for quite some time!

I do find that looking into the historical events that our ancestors were a part of is really fascinating and turns the "names" into real people affected by all sorts of circumstances, both happy and sad. At least I know he survived as my Great Grandmother was born in 1872.

I most certainly will have some fun!

Thank you also to Doug, I'm struggling with the links on the website, but that might be windows 8 causing the problem..... I'll keep trying!

Julie

Doug likes this.