John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera

Discussion in 'Handy Web Sites' started by Huncamunca, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

The wonderful John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, has been digitised. If you are lucky enough to belong to one of the (mostly university/college) libraries which subscribe, you can log in remotely here:

johnjohnson.chadwyck.co.uk

to see 'more than 20,700 pieces of theatrical and non-theatrical ephemera from the Nineteenth-Century Entertainment category and more than 11,700 items from the Booktrade category. Over 11,200 Popular Prints are available in facsimile form, along with more than 22,400 items from Advertising and over 1,500 from Crimes, Murders and Executions.'

Go to the 'Login through your library or institution' page to see if there's a library near you which gives access. (I might have to sign up for evening classes at my local college again, to get the all-important library card.)

You can read more about the collection and search a catalogue (with thumbnail images of some items) on the Bodleian's website:

http://www.
    bodleian.ox.ac.uk/johnson

The broadside ballads from the John Johnson Collection (and other collections at the Bodleian) have been put online in a separate project. No subscriptions required! An old version of the site is still accessible but the beta version looks much more inviting:

http://
    ballads.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/

Here, for example, I found a ballad produced to celebrate(?) the 'Murder of a sweetheart at Witney'. It's only roughly dated in the catalogue but from my research into local crimes I know the murder was in 1871.

Dogsday, Eve, Doug and 1 other person like this.
  2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

You can certainly access this amazing collection at home if you hold a Devon library ticket.

Ann

Huncamunca likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Ooh, that's interesting, AnnB. :) I will have to see if I they will let me join the library when I am next down in Exeter hunting my elusive West Country ancestors.

4. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Thanks Jane - looks great and Bucks library ticket gets you in too. That's my evening sorted

Dogsday and Huncamunca like this.
  5. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Cornwall isn't in the list though. Have to see if my sister has a Devon ticket!

6. Huncamunca

From what the others have said above, I think the list probably isn't complete, especially when it comes to public library services. I have looked at a few county library sites to see what's available in different parts of the country and am coming to the conclusion that we are a bit hard done by in Oxfordshire. Perhaps I should consider moving, or else collecting library tickets from other counties. :)

7. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

As well as Libraries, schools etc, This collection now appears to offer free access to UK users.

Same web address as in post #1

johnjohnson.chadwyck.co.uk

“If you are an individual located in the UK you can access the John Johnson Collection via the UK free access link on the index page.”

Sue036, Dogsday, Flook and 3 others like this.