1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lake, seeking record of death

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by Cakey, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Cakey

Cakey New Member

Hi all,
    Thanks for your help with my grandfather Sidney Lake at the end of last year. I'm now stuck finding a record of his father John's death.
    He was born in 1836 in Chudleigh, Devon, and is shown in the 1871 census with wife Ann (Milford) and several children. He then appears to have died between 1879 ie, after conception of my grandfather Sidney who was born in 1880, and the 1881 census where I think Ann is shown as Relict (widow).Ann is also shown as now living in Forrabury, Boscastle, Cornwall, where several children, including Sidney, were baptised in 1880. So, I assume she and John moved their family to Forrabury between 1878 and 1880.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I see that Sidney was baptised on 2nd May 1880 in Forrabury where the occupation of his father John is given as Lime Burner. However, there is no indication that he had died by this time.

Looking at the 1881 census, Ann is recorded as wife, rather than relic or widow, and shows as married - a Lime Burners wife. However, John is not there. This leads me to think that he might have died between 1881 and 1891 when Ann is definitely recorded as a widow.

Cakey likes this.
  3. Cakey

Cakey New Member

C.

4. Cakey

Cakey New Member

Thanks. I read the 1881 census as showing Ann as 'rel' but the image was not clear. I wonder where John was on census day if he was still alive? I can't locate a record of his death in Devon or Cornwall.

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Andrew Davies

Andrew Davies Well-Known Member

A John Lake is recorded in the Devonshire registration district of Torrington aged 53 in 1887. S qtr, Vol:05B Pg:317.

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Andrew Davies

Scrub that.....That John Lake is on the census in 1881 living in Torrington aged 46 with wife Mary and listed as Ag Lab.

Cakey likes this.
  7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Drat. :(

Cakey likes this.
  8. Andrew Davies

There is another one that may be of interest. John Lake age 56 in 1889 registered Newton Abbot district which Chudleigh comes under. Vol: 05B Pg:96 M qtr.

Daft Bat likes this.
  9. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

A John Lake was buried at Bishops Teignton church on February 5th 1889, aged 56. Could that be him?

10. Cakey

Cakey New Member

11. Cakey

Cakey New Member

Thank you, Steve. It could well be him as his wife was born in Bishops teighnton, but he is listed as born in 1836 so, if that is correct, he would have been 52 or 53 in 1889. Do you have an image of the burial record as I dont have access to them?