John Lipman of Glasgow

Discussion in 'Lanarkshire' started by Adam McGregor, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

My ancestor John Lipman was from (not sure if he was born in) Glasgow. He would have lived there at some point before 1800. I would appreciate any information given the small amount I know.

Thanks,

Adam

2. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

A few deductions:
    In the freedom of the city he is "late of Glasgow". I take this to mean he had moved there from somewhere else to be there by 1856. If he had Lewis in 1800 he must have been at least 74 at that time, so it's quite possible he died there. Any death record or will could help with his age and place etc

He must have been in Aldgate in 1800 to have Lewis. So he went from there to Glasgow, maybe stopping off somewhere else on the way

Googling Jews in Glasgow, it seems the first jews got there in the 1820s. If he was one of these first Jews, there may well be a mention of him in Glaswegian jewish history, there was only a few of them. Different historical groups come up when you google. Perhaps Lewis and Mary married there too?

Perhaps John was the anglicised version, the hebrew seems to be Jacob

Ma-dotcom, Figgs, Sis and 1 other person like this.
  3. Adam McGregor

Thanks. The scarcity of information regarding Lewis' father does make it very difficult.

4. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I have a friend in Long Island, NY by name of David Lipman.....and I did track his history, as did he. His ancestors were from London and were the usual tailors, etc. I don't think I still have the information on this computer, but thought I would mention it. I believe they arrived there around the same time.
    If I do a search of my hard drive, I might find a tidbit. Good luck. They are not that hard to find for 2 reasons.....they always settled all together and were working in trades like tailors, hat makers, etc. Not much to go on, but might help.

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

This Scottish Jewish Archives Centre looks a very interesting site and may be able to help if only to point you in the right direction.

Code:
    http://www.sjac.org.uk/about/

Ma-dotcom and Figgs like this.
  6. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Had a good search around my hard drive genie folders and didn't find anything, but if I should stumble on something, I will let you know. Thanks Sis......wasn't the Mayor of Glasgow Jewish at one time.....or am I thinking of a city in Ireland??

Sis likes this.
  7. Sis

He most certainly was Heather.

From www. jta.org/1958/05/12/archive/jew-elected-lord-provost-of-glasgow-first-jew-to-hold-such-post

May 12, 1958
    GLASGOW, Scotland (May. 11)

For the first time in the history of Scottish municipal politics, a Jew was elected to a three-year term as Lord Provost of the City of Glasgow. Myer Halpern, a member of the City Council, won that honor. He is a patron of Hazanim, the Labor Zionist Youth movement, and a member of B’nai B’rith.

Figgs likes this.
  8. Sis

Did you know Adam that there is Jewish Genealogical Society.

Code:
    http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/

Figgs likes this.
  9. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot about that!! There were a lot of Jews in Jamaica...still are. Escaped the Inquisition, etc. Ron's 3x great grandfather, Jose Maria Figueroa was not Jewish so far as we know... according to Jewish researchers in Jamaica but there were many Spanish "conversos" who changed to Catholic in order to live!!

A genealogy friend of mine is a Levy from Jamaica and has found a lot of synagogue documents and records thru the Jewish genealogy societies. The synagogue is still there but no Rabbi to my knowledge...plus a number of damaged tombstones.

But I digress....have a look at the various Jewish genealogy societies, Adam...you may find a record or two. I do have a wild guess on John Lipman's original name...might have been Lipschitz. (My Canadian high school was 80% Jewish so absorbed a lot of this trivia I guess) :D :rolleyes:

Sis likes this.
  10. Adam McGregor

Thanks for all this.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

On another forum the question was asked about John Lipman born 1801. He is said to be the son of Michael Lipman and Sarah Elias.
    A Michael Lipman on another tree is born to Isaac in 1759 in Whitechapel and died there in 1848. That tree has not mentioned a John (Jonas/Jacob) but the eldest listed is Esther in 1804 followed by Lipman Lipman in 1809. Lipman Lipman married Catherine Sanders then Rebecca Nathan. Their first was Jonas Lipman 1826 Spitalfields.
    Jonas Lipman 1826 is said to be the recipient of the Freedom of the City on 28/10/1856 (Fruit Dealer). So is this Jonas your John or another.:confused:

Figgs likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

So if that tree is correct, in order we have:
    Isaac Lipman Birth not known
    His son, Michael 1759 Whitechapel.
    His son Lipman 1809
    His son Jonas (John) 1826
    His son Lewis 1860

Figgs likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

Yet another tree has Lewis Lipman born 1798 half brother of Lipman (Eliezer) Lipman, father Michael.

Sis and Figgs like this.
  14. Adam McGregor

Lewis Lipman was born in 1800 or thereabouts. I am descended from him through his son, Morris (b. 1826, Aldgate) and his son Benjamin (b. 1845, Aldgate). I don't know about the validity of the descent from Michael Lipman.

15. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I just realized (actually my husband did) that I know personally more than one Lipman....another couple of them here in Toronto! So maybe that's a rather common Jewish name. If so, makes it tougher!! I have a Cooper in Jamaica who allegedly was born in the 1700s in the UK but not going to attempt that search again!! Looked for years bc he had an unusual first name... Wilkin. Only one in England at the right era. :headbang:

16. Adam McGregor

The name means 'dear man' so it's not place-specific for a surname like Rothschild for example.

17. Sis

18. Adam McGregor

I'm not sure. This is too complicated for my liking.

Sis likes this.