John Rowledge - my 5X gt-grandfather

Discussion in 'Warwickshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Jan 4, 2016.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Many of you - particularly those folks in Oz - will be familiar with my thread on the Nixon's who were the children of Mary Rowledge - daughter of John.

I have facts about John's wife - Frances Wright - her baptism, parents, marriage, children and death and burial, however apartfrom his marriage to Frances on 11 December 1758 in Churchover, Warwickshire - where his name is written in the parish register as ROWLIDGE I have not been able to find more.

I suspect that Warwickshire baptisms and burials may be accessed on Ancestry - as I have the marriage details from my past sub. there but this has expired and funds don't run to renewing at present so am using current sites - Family Search, FMP and the Genealogist - but am not getting the desired hits.

Can anyone help?

2. The Artful Dodger

I have the death and burial of his wife Frances as 28 November 1814 in Church Lawford. There is also a death and burial of a John Rowledge in Church Lawford on 5 November 1808, however I don't know if this relating to my 5X ggf or his son John who was baptised 22 May 1759 in Churchover.

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

John Rowledge is mentioned as buried that day. Underneath is ascrawl which may be taken as a 6 but is probably as scrawl. A Lady has a tree which gives John the Father death as 1808 also a baptism for a Mary 1762 & a Ruth 1770 but not
    Samuel
    NAME: Samuel Rowlidge
    MOTHER: Frances Rowlidge
    FATHER: John Rowlidge
    BAPTISM: 7 Dec 1766 - Church Lawford, Warwickshire, England

six.JPG

4. The Artful Dodger

Thanks Wendy

I'd love to see that tree but is probably inaccessible to me [Ancestry]. She has all but Samuel eh? - does that also include John [bapt. 22 May 1759] and Elizabeth [bapt. 22 May 1759 and who was buried 30 May 1759] both in Churchover?

I have Samuel's baptism in Church Lawford and Samuel is my 4X ggf.

Mary was bapt.in Church Lawford in 1762 [31 Oct.] and Rurh in Church Lawford in 1770 [2 Apr.].

I think this lady has John [the father] dying in Church Lawford and buried 5 Feb. 1808 but does she know for sure whether this is the father or the son?

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I stopped counting after 25 trees for that Family Colin. Firt 5 only two had John & only one of those had Samuel-Fleming/Chugg Family. The other was Lady in N.S.Wales
    All give 1808 as the Father John's death.
    No mention of Elizabeth

NAME: Elizth Rowlidge
    BAPTISM: 22 May 1759 - Churchover, Warwickshire, England
    VITAL: 22 May 1759 - Churchover
    : John Rowlidge
    BAPTISM: 22 May 1759 - Churchover, Warwickshire, England
    VITAL: 22 May 1759 - Churchover

Elizabeth is repeated as ..oh I see. It's a burial for Elizabeth on 30th.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  6. The Artful Dodger

OK Wendy - thank you.

I've found some additional stuff from 2012 that I have on John and Frances and it now convinces me that the death and burial in 1808 is for the father John rather than the other John who was baptised in Churchover at the same time as his sister Elizabeth.

I can now update that detail on my tree.

7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Colin,

A bit more information from Church Lawford parish registers, in case you do not have it, is that Ruth ROWLEDGE was buried on 14 March 1794. To confirm what you already have in that there only seem to be 3 ROWLEDGE (or variant) baptisms at Church Lawford and they are Mary ROWLEDGE on 31 October 1762, Samuel ROWLIDGE on 7 December 1766 & Ruth ROWLEDGE on 22 April 1770.

As Wendy has mentioned there are a lot of Family Trees for John ROWLEDGE. I think the one she is referring to does have the baptisms of all the children except for Elizabeth. It does have some sources but has assumed John's birth as c1736 in Warwickshire and has his father as John and mother as Mary, but as there is no date or place of baptism I do not know what this information is based upon.

ROWLEDGE or its variants does not seem a particularly common name in Warwickshire. In fact doing a ROWLEDGE/ROWLIDGE search on Ancestry's Warwickshire parish registers up to 1812 only brings up the records you already have plus a burial at Willoughby on 11 January 1798 for a William son of William & Hanah ROWLEDGE who was privately baptized. Not at all conclusive, I know, especially given some of Ancestry's transcription efforts, but it may perhaps indicate that your John was born in another county.

Janet

8. The Artful Dodger

Thanks, Janet, must look closely at your post [and Wendy's]

9. The Artful Dodger

The death and burial of a William - son of William and Hannah Rowledge - who was privately baptised is interesting.

Willoughby is approx. 5 miles from Rugby [according to Wikipedia] where William and Hannah Rowledge lived in 1798. Mary Rowledge daughter of John and Frances who was baptised and later married in Church Lawford moved to Rugby and baptised her 1st child Harriet in Rugby St. Andrews 8 June 1788. Church Lawford is 2.5 miles from Rugby [according to Wikipedia].

I wonder if William [spouse of Hannah] and John [spouse of Frances] are related somehow? One of John and Frances's children was Samuel and Samuel and his wife Ann nee Woods [my 4Xggparents] had children that they named Hannah and William.

Could this be a strong connection do you think?

10. The Artful Dodger

Thanks for confirming the burial of Ruth which is what I had previously found.

Still trying to find out what became of the John baptised 22 May 1759.

11. The Artful Dodger

Could this be John ? - a marriage:
    John Rowledge, single of Lilbourne, Northamptonshire, married Mary Walker, single and of this parish [Rugby St. Andrew, Warwickshire] 14 Oct. 1810. A bit of a stretch in that he would have been 51.

Definitely not my John- have found this couple in 1851 - H0107/2070/221/17 - living in Dunchurch. John is aged 64 and born in Lilbourne, Northants. He would have been born c. 1787.
    I have not found a baptism for a John Rowledge c. 1787 in Lilbourne but a John Rowledge was married to an Anne Cave 9 Aug 1786.
    I'm not sure of the distances involved between Lilbourne and Rugby but could this chap be the son of my John?

12. The Artful Dodger

Just found that Lilbourne is the the area of Daventry and that Daventry is about 10 miles from Rugby, Warwickshire.

Dunchurch where John and Mary lived in 1851 is even closer.

13. janetbooth

Colin,

From Ancestry's Northamptonshire Bishop's Transcripts:

9 August 1787 at Lilbourne John ROWLEDGE, Labourer, & Ann CAVE

3 December 1787 at Lilbourne John son of John ROWLEDGE & Ann his wife baptised

1841 census of Dunchurch, Warwickshire (HO107/1137/7, folio 14, page 20):

Mill Street

John ROWLEDGE 50 Agrl Labr Not born in the county
    Mary do 50 Born in the county

Janet

14. janetbooth

Further baptisms at Lilbourne (Ancestry Parish Registers):

Born 7 March, baptised 8 March 1793 Mary daughter of John ROWLEDGE & Ann his wife
    Born 24 March, baptised 31 March 1799 Ann daughter of John ROWLEGE & Anne his wife
    Born 9 November, baptised 13 December 1803 Mary Ann daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE
    Born 9 August, baptised 8 September 1811 Sarah daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE

Marriage on 5 November 1810 at Lilbourne of John ROWLEDGE of this parish & Mary WALKER of Rugby. Both signed and the witnesses were Edward COOPER & Elizabeth HEFFORD who also signed.

Burials at Lilbourne:

4 October 1812 Sarah daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE

So, from this I would guess that the marriage in 1810 at Lilbourne, and the subsequent two baptisms at Lilbourne to John & Mary are for the John & Mary ROWLEDGE in Dunchurch in the 1841/51 census records and he is the one baptised in 1787 son of John & Ann nee CAVE. But could the John ROWLEDGE who married Ann CAVE be the one baptised in 1759 at Churchover son of John & Frances??

I cannot find a burial in Northamptonshire either on my Northamptonshire Burial Index or Ancestry's Northamptonshire Burials up to 1812 for a likely John & Ann ROWLEDGE or variants. However, there is a burial at Lilbourne on 24 September 1832 of a John ROWLIDGE of Libourne, aged 72, which gives him a birthdate of c1760!! Plus a burial on 13 July 1833 at Lilbourne of an Ann ROWLIDGE of Lilbourne, aged 73. So, perhaps you have found where John son of John & Frances ROWLEDGE ended up??

Janet

Ma-dotcom and The Artful Dodger like this.
  15. The Artful Dodger

Thank you Janet - your last few posts on this subject have been most helpful. I finally feel I am getting some resolution to the various John Rowledge.

Imay have some other items on this lot but not tonight.

16. janetbooth

Glad to be of help, Colin. I have quite a few Northants Index records as my maternal grandfather hailed from that county.

Janet

17. The Artful Dodger

All in all I think we have resolved this one.

John son of John and Ann nee Cave married Mary Walker in Lilbourne 5 November 1810. They had 2 daughters:
    Sarah - born 9 August 1811 and baptised 8 September 1811 in Lilbourne. Sarah died and was buried in Lilbourne 4 October 1812. A look at the image of the pariish register does not indicate her age.
    Mary Anne - there is a death iand burial in Dunchurch,Warwickshire on 9 November 1823. The image of the burial register indicates she is an infant but further on the page states her age as 11 years. I belive that there is is a bit of a mix-up in the baptism register transcription and that Mary Anne was bor born 9 November 1812 and she was baptised on 13 December 1812.

18. janetbooth

Colin,

The transcription of the Bishop's Transcripts images shows that Mary Ann ROWLEDGE was born on 9 November 1812 daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE and the actual image shows that she was born 9 November and baptised 13 December 1812 which fits in very well with the image of her burial at Dunchurch. Think you have cracked it!

Janet

The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  19. The Artful Dodger

This tree has John born abt 1736 - no place of birth - and parents John and Mary. There was nothing about John and Mary as his parents.

The tree line ends with Lionel William J. Harris - the spouse of my 1st cousin Mary Anne Rowledge - who died in 1937 in Quebec, Canada.

There has been no response to my contact with this tree owner, so have no likely idea as to where the information came from about parents and year of birth ---- well I do, but will keep it to myself..

janetbooth likes this.