John Thorley

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by David Greenley, Sep 16, 2014.

1. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

Is it possible that some of the people involved were using their middle names - perhaps "Thomas John Thorley"? Just a thought.

Mary Lamb may have been a servant, which would provide ample scope for the theft of items such as sheets and blankets. As a matter of interest, she was sentenced to seven years transportation for her crimes.

2. David Greenley

David Greenley New Member

Hello Jane,
    Going back to the fact that I remembered something about William Thorley and a pub in Eynsham, I finally found it mentioned on a couple of websites, one of which, quotes the Witney Express of 22 Dec 1870 (p1, col.a), in relation to the auction of the White Hart Inn in Eynsham by order of the Executors of the late Mr. William Thorley deceased. So it appears that William must have owned this pub at the time. I also found Isaac, William's son, being shown as a publican in this pub on the 1861 Census and also two references to 1863 and 1864 in two trade registers (Dutton, Allen & Co Directory) and Kellys when Isaac was prosumably the publican or at least resident there.
    I am not sure if I am allowed to copy the information from sites on the forum so have just quoted what I saw.
    I note later generations of Thorleys were also publicans in Yorkshire.
    kind regards
    Dave