John Thorne of Alton Barnes

Discussion in 'Wiltshire' started by euryalus, Aug 5, 2015.

1. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

Are there any on-line sources for UK executions? I am looking for information about the demise of a man called John Thorne (also known as 'Jack the Painter') who was paid the sum of £20 to design and cut-out the Alton Barnes white horse. In the event, Thorne sub-contracted the excavation work to John Harvey of Stanton St Bernard, and then absconded with the money that had been provided by a local gentleman farmer. It is said that Thorne was eventually hanged for other crimes, but I have been unable to find details of the hanging in any of the on-line newspapers. I am assuming that the execution would have taken place between 1812 and about 1830.

2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

This site apparently ' details most criminal executions carried out in Britain between 1100 and 1964. '

http://www.
    britishexecutions.co.uk/index.php?time=1438786015

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

During that sort of period, more and more death sentences were commuted to transportation.

Have you checked the Criminal Registers (HO27) available on Ancestry?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

"British Executions" looks like an interesting site - I will have a look and see if anything turns up.