John William HARDY

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 27, 2016.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

where was he born? I think I know the answer but I am mightily puzzled by this man :(

He married Eliza Hansford in Wyke Regis 26 Dec 1882, he was living in Bristol, his father was William a labourer.

So I have him and Eliza in 1891, 1901 and 1911 in Bristol; and he claims in all those censuses that he was born c1857 in Holwell, Dorset. As does he in 1881 in Bristol.

Great, right. So I start backtracking to find him before 1881 BUT the only John William Hardy that I can find born c 1857 in Dorset, was born in Broadwey, although he is the son of William a labourer (and Elizabeth).

Holwell and Broadwey are nowhere near each other, not even in the same registration district. Obviously, unless I have missed another John William Hardy, [the nearest I can find to one born in Holwell is a William Hardy reg Jun 1852 in Sherborne RD] he was born in Broadwey, why would he move to Bristol and say he was born in Holwell?

I feel slightly like I am going mad :confused:

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

No real help I know, but-I have had people born in -for instance- Kent who in one census but claim to be from the same place as the spouse in Surrey in others.Was it laziness on the part of the person writing it out? or did he find out later where he was actually born?

Sis and mugwortismy cat like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Always possible the parents moved from his place of birth & he was baptised at new Parish, except that his Father on earlier census lists Broadway at birth place & residence.
    Could they have been chasing a roving vicar? It's only 6 miles away. no that's the wrong way around.
    May be his Mother was visiting in Holwell a time of his birth or his Father had work in that area at the time, & they then went home to Broadway for the Baptism etc.
    good luck with that Lass, perhaps he had a romantic streak. ;)

4. mugwortismy cat

Umm, more like 20 miles (in fact Holwell used to be in Somerset). Not that far in the scheme of things, perhaps ...

Before the age of 10 I grew up near Broadwey, it's a small place (now subsumed into Weymouth) ... It just feels wrong and I keep thinking I have made some silly mistake. But all your scenarios are possible and make sense.

I really don't know why I am letting it bother me :(

Sis likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Because you like to get things RIGHT!
    silly map told me 6 miles:oops: oh!,...because I keyed in "BroadwAy", it took me to Broadway, Sherborne.

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Now, there's a thing...

The only John William HARDY born around 1857 had his birth registered in the Weymouth registration dictrict, March quarter 1857, volume 5a, page 326. Looking at where the Weymouth District covers, BroadwAy is listed.

However, click on the list of parishes in GENUKI and just BroadwEy is listed - which goes on to talk about BroadwAy. :confused:

The Dorset OPC page says:

Upwey [or Upway] is at the source of the Rivey Wey in a valley situated above Weymouth. Broadwey [or Broadway] is so called because it is situated where the River Wey broadens out below Upwey.

From this, I conclude that this BroadwEy/BroadwAy is the correct one. :)

I wonder if he was born there and moved to Hollwell when he was too small to remember. ;)

7. mugwortismy cat

In ye olden times it was often spelt -way, my understanding is that thee moderns have settled on -wey in solidarity with the river

The -wey spelling certainly helps distinguish from amongst all those other pesky places called Broadway

Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Googling Holwell Weymouth, there does seem to be a Holwell farm to the eastof Broadwey. A possibility?

9. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

That sound very feasible. I have family ancestors living at a Holwell Farm in Essendon, Hertfordshire which is nowhere near the Holwell village in the same county.

10. mugwortismy cat

Well done Grizel!

I did look on Streetmap around Broadwey to try and spot a lesser-known Holwell, but I obviously missed it. It all now makes a bit more sense :)

Sis, Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

In 1871 your young John Hardy was an "assistant in mill work". What was he mill doing ? I guess it was located at or near the river? I took a virtual wander down mill st, but didn't see a mill.

Sis, Grizel and mugwortismy cat like this.
  12. mugwortismy cat

Sis, Grizel and Ma-dotcom like this.
  13. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The Dorset OPC site is a great free resource for the parish of Broadwey and adjacent parish of Buckland Ripers which may include Holwell farm.

mugwortismy cat and Sis like this.
  14. mugwortismy cat

It is a great site and I use it often, and have done a few transcriptions :D

Grizel and Daft Bat like this.