Joseph and Elizabeth Stockton of Market Drayton

Discussion in 'Shropshire' started by Adam McGregor, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

I’m looking for the origins of Joseph and Elizabeth. Elizabeth died in Market Drayton in 1837 aged 75 (b. c. 1762) and Joseph died there in 1841 aged 85 (b. c. 1756). The 1841 Census shows Joseph living on Shropshire Street with Ann Stockton (who also registered his death), and he’s recorded as being born outside the county. A Mary Stockton, daughter-in-law, registered the death of Elizabeth. I don’t know of any of Joseph and Elizabeth’s children, other than Henry, who was christened in Market Drayton in 1801, and he married Sarah Stubbs there in 1821.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam

2. Adam McGregor

Just had a series of breakthroughs! Looking for the christening of a Joseph Stockton in Audlem in Cheshire around 1798. I’ve traced the daughter-in-law to the 1851 Census, and an 1814 marriage record in Market Drayton. I think this Joseph must be my Joseph’s son.

Sis likes this.
  3. Adam McGregor

Still haven’t found it. I’ve found a christening for Samuel Stockton in Audlem in 1785, Sarah Stockton in Mucklestone (just in Staffordshire) in 1791, and Elizabeth Stockton in Wrenbury in 1795.

So the pattern is that they’re around Market Drayton, in Cheshire mostly, before moving to Market Drayton itself.