Joseph James born 1857 and Christiana Rogers born 1856 marriage 1875

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Genie1, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Were married in Camborne 1st September 1875 ,Cornwallopc, and it is possible that he is a son of William James and Ann James nee Pascoe. The ages are slightly out.
    No sign of them afterwards.
    His sister Emily Ada James emigrated to South Africa where she married Thomas Stick Jolly. I have all the information about this couple.
    I have looked at the South Africa records in the hope that they emigrated there but no luck.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

There is a Joseph & Christina James buried at Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch NZ. Both said to be born Redruth (according to Findagrave). Christina is recorded as Christina Rogers James.

Code:
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/144592168/christina-james

3. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I think that these must be the correct people and probably Redruth is mentioned because that was the registration district for borths in that area. Camborne included.
    After your post I looked at Familysearch and there is an emigration detail that I think will be them.
    They left shortly after their marriage. 7th September 1875. Ages match up.

Andromeda likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

And to flesh out what Andromeda found for you, Ancestry have a 1914 Electoral Register record for Christchurch, NZ, wherein Joseph & Christina JAMES are living at 63 Caledonian Road, he being described as an Engine Driver. An earlier 1896 Electoral Roll record for Avon, Canterbury shows them living at 59 Ferry Road, Linwood, he being described as a Stoker.

Janet

Genie1 likes this.