Joseph Johnson

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by TLBean1964, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I’m sorry but I can’t see a reference to the names you have mentioned in that obit.

Shellymac likes this.
  2. TLBean1964

TLBean1964 New Member

We can’t either! I don’t know where this person found any of those names and put them together. James Benton Johnson is the son of Sylvester Johnson. We thought we had hit a goldmine with that information due to the specific names and associations to specific wars. Once we started researching, it was clear thus person did not have correct information. Back to square one for us.

3. Archie's Mum

There is one lot of info out there that says your Joseph was born in Smith County Tennessee but I’ve had a look at 1840 census for Smith County 228 page 232 line 16 and that Joseph had too many children to be yours. As yours appears on 1850 with the first 3 born in Tennessee and the others in Missouri. The Smith County Joseph has 2 males under 5, one between 10 and 15 and two females also.
    I also read that Johnson/Johnston is second only to Smith in Tennessee. Some Johnson’s Anglicised their names as there immigrants from all over the place. So in reality they could have come from Scotland, originally or Germany, or anywhere. Apparently there were lots of Quakers as well which puts paid to any records.

4. TLBean1964

TLBean1964 New Member

We tried to make that 1840 census work out. We thought maybe Joseph and Ann Eliza were living with someone—like one of their fathers. But the other children were problematic. I think I’ve deleted it on my tree.

5. Archie's Mum

It think it might be worth hanging on to it as they could have others living in the household. The two boys under 5 fit though. Those early census tell us nothing do they. Unless they kept slaves then it gets interesting.
    Rootsweb has a great article on some Johnsons in Tennessee. I’ll see if I can find it again.

6. Archie's Mum

Code:
    http://sites.rootsweb.com/~tnoverto/johnson.htm
    This may or may not help but it is worth a long read.
    Halfway through a Joseph Johnson is mentioned born c1807 possibly associated with Hubard Johnson, Job Johnson and some John Johnsons. There being a possible Nth Carolina connection.
    Quite possibly I'm stabbing in the dark but the story does end up in Greene County Tennessee.:nailbiting: