Joseph Nott born about 1810 MDX

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Mrs Huma, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this should be in London or Middlesex.

My 2nd g grandfather was Joseph Nott above. He married Priscilla Holt 15 Jul 1833 Lambeth St John the Evangelist, Surrey, England (source is London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921). They had 3 children Sarah 1835, William 1837 and Joseph Carpenter Nott 1840.

I have the birth registration for Joseph Carpenter Nott born 1840. Can't seem to upload a file right now.

This is all I have found for father Joseph Nott or Knott:

Name: Joseph Knott Gender: Male Christening Date: 05 Apr 1810 Christening Place: LYING IN HOSPITAL ENDELL STREET,HOLBORN,LONDON,ENGLAND Birth Date: 27 Mar 1810 Father's Name: Wm Knott Mother's Name: Sarah Indexing Project (Batch) Number C05524-2 (familysearch.org)

Would like to get back farther if possible.

Thanks, Wendy

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Not sure if you have this but Ancestry have a baptism for Priscilla Holt at St Leonard's Heston Middlesex 24/1/1808 daughter of John and Priscilla born 4/1/1808

Mrs Huma likes this.
  3. Mrs Huma

Thank you MollyMay, I do have this information. Father John Holt, mother Pricilla Crouch. I do need to investigate this family too.

Wendy ;)

4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I can find a marriage of William Knott to Sarah Daniel 28/8/1801 St Martin's in the Fields, Middlesex.

5. Mrs Huma

Is there somewhere where we can see if they have children before John is born in 1810?

6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The actual image of the non-conformist baptismal entry for Joseph is on Ancestry but does not give any further information than you already have. The only other non-conformist baptism I can find is that of a Mary Ann NOTT, born 13 September and baptised 18 October 1818 at Tottenham Court Chapel Independent, parents William & Sarah NOTT of St Pancras. Ah, hold on, there is another record at the Holborn Lying in Hospital dated 23 July 1816 for a stillborn daughter to Sarah wife of William KNOTT Shoemaker, aged 38 (I presume this is Sarah's age), St George's Borough. Sarah was discharged from the hospital on 11 August.

There is a marriage at St Leonard's Shoreditch on 27 August 1807 for a William NOTT, bachelor, & a Sarah LONDON, spinster, both of the parish. Witnesses were George LIMMING & Elizabeth SMITH. Perhaps another possible marriage for your couple?

There are baptisms for children to another William & Sarah NOTT at St Marylebone between 1801 and 1816 including a son George born/baptised in 1810, so that presumably rules them out as being your William & Sarah NOTT.

Janet

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and Huncamunca like this.
  7. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

That's a great find, Janet, giving William's occupation and Sarah's age as well as the abode. It seems likely that this means St George the Martyr, Borough (i.e. Southwark).

It's a big jump between 1816 and 1841 but I wonder if this might be William & Sarah in 1841 (HO 107/1084, book 8, folio 32, p.11):

Little Lant Street, Southwark (page headed 'Borough of Southwark, Parish of St Georges')

William Knott, 58, shoemaker
    Sarah do, 63
    neither of them born in the county

Then at 5 Le [=Little?] Lant Street in 1851 there is a 67 year old William Knott, widower, pauper shoemaker, born Gloster M...t.. i. M...h which could be Moreton in Marsh (HO 107/1564, f.76, p.10).

Ma-dotcom, Mrs Huma and MollyMay like this.
  8. Huncamunca

A 'Register of Deaths in the Workhouse of St. George the Martyr, Southwark' (on Ancestry) has 70 year old William Knott dying on 9 September 1854. Like nearly all those on the same page he had died of cholera and was buried at the expense of the parish, not in Southwark but in Victoria Park Cemetery, Bethnell (sic) Green.

The admission & discharge register 1853-1855 for St George's workhouse, Mint Street, Southwark, also records the death on 9 September of William Knott. There is a corresponding admission entry (in which he is called Willm Knotts) the previous day. The notes make it clear that this is the same William found on the 1851 census:
    'cholera. note from Mr Rendle. from 5 Little Lant St, widower, shoemaker'​

Ma-dotcom, Mrs Huma and MollyMay like this.
  9. Mrs Huma

:rolleyes:I meant Joseph.

Wendy :(

10. janetbooth

Well spotted Huncamunca! There is a baptism at Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire on 5 February 1788 of a William son of Thomas & Hannah KNOTT (P) presumably Pauper in the parish register images on Ancestry which could be relevant to you. This couple appear to be having children baptised in Moreton from 1765, a Sarah, until William in 1788. Now this is wildly speculative, but there is an Apprenticeship Indenture record on Ancestry dated 29 May 1799 for a Wm KNOTT bound to a John PRITCHARD of New Windsor, Berks, Cordwainer.

Janet

Mrs Huma, Ma-dotcom and Huncamunca like this.
  11. janetbooth

Again, very speculative, but a birth/baptism at Pershore, Worcestershire on 12 February/17th August 1778 of a Sarah daughter of Joseph & Elizabeth LONDON. This matches with the approximate birthdate of Sarah wife of William KNOTT shown on the Holborn Lying in Hospital record, the marriage of William NOTT & Sarah LONDON in 1807 and could be the reason for the Christian name of their first child. However, it would need a lot more research on your part Wendy.

Janet

12. Mrs Huma

Wow!! This is all fabulous! And this is sad! My uncle Freeman Nott, was always very interested in his Nott lineage and when together would always ask "so have you found any more of the Nott's?" I would always have to say no and always ended at Joseph. Now I could tell him - but he didn't make it. We were all hoping he would get to 100, but he did get to 99 1/3. He died in June this year. :( But this is this most I have ever known about the Nott's and gives me more enthusiasm for more research. Glouster huh? new county, boy, I may get to cover 1/2 of England yet.

Thank you Molly May, Janet and Huncamunca. Keep up the research and I will follow your advice backwards.

Wendy ;):reading:

13. Mrs Huma

I will try to follow the Nott/Knott line backward and hopefully fill in the wives after.

Wendy

14. Mrs Huma

Thank you Janet and I pay for Ancestry.ca, but I cannot seem to get to the Apprenticeship Indenture record. Can you give me a trail to follow? I am in Berkshire, England, Extracted Parish Records, but quite obviously it is not the correct place................

Wendy :headbang:

15. Mrs Huma

Found it! Wow, very interesting! Thank you Janet. :D

Daft Bat likes this.
  16. Mrs Huma

Morning all! I did have a look at the above noted Apprenticeship Indenture and now wonder if in Glouster, if they have a list of children who were taken from a family and bound as an apprentice.

This happened in my Sage family and I have it from the High Littleton Parish Apprentices 1702 - 1832:

Samuell SAGE was bound apprentice to Abraham BRODRIBB of High Littleton, clothier, by indenture dated 24th March 1704/5. SRO D/P/lit.h. 13/2/1 - List in Poor Book.

http://www.highlittletonhistory.org.uk/transcriptions0905/HLParishApprentices1702-1832&Indx.pdf

Wendy :reading:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Huncamunca

See here for some useful research guides from Gloucestershire Archives, including one on apprenticeship records:

http://www.
    gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/article/114368/Research-guides

Mrs Huma likes this.
  18. Huncamunca

I can't see a burial for Thomas and Hannah Knott/Nott in Moreton-in-Marsh. They might be there in the register but mistranscribed or maybe not yet indexed on Ancestry: you can browse through images of the parish registers on Ancestry to check. But another possibility is that the whole family moved away from Moreton-in-Marsh.

Looking for other Knotts with Moreton-in-Marsh connections, I see there is a John Knott (aged 74, born Glossh Moreton) in Shipston on Stour on the 1851 census (HO 107/2076, f.533, p.25). That's only just up the road a bit from Moreton-in-Marsh but in a different county (John Knott is shown on the census as living in Worcestershire. I think that area is now part of Warwickshire.)

Estimated d.o.b. for John is 1777 so he could be John son of Thomas & Hannah Knott, baptised in Moreton-in-Marsh in 1778.

Mrs Huma likes this.
  19. Huncamunca

Googling found a reference to a marriage of Thomas Nott & Hannah Ross in Westcote (Gloucs) in 1765 - on the Parishroots website, from a published Phillimore register. There is an image of this entry in the Westcote register on Ancestry in its 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938'; not all the names on the page are indexed.

Thomas Nott of the parish of Batsford in the County of Gloucester and
    Hannah Ross of West Cott [? or Cote] in the same County spinster was married in th[i ]s Church by Licence this 17th(?) day of March 1765
    by me ?? [ink blot here] Williams Rector
    This Marriage was solemnized by us
    The mark x of Thos Nott
    The mark x of Hannah Ross
    In the presence of us
    Joseph Fitcher
    Henry Radburn

If they are the same couple whose daughter Sarah was baptised at Moreton-in-Marsh in June 1765 then they probably were in a bit of a hurry to get married before the baby arrived - which might explain the marriage by licence.

Batsford (where this Thomas Nott was from) is very near Moreton-in-Marsh, which is encouraging.

Mrs Huma likes this.
  20. Mrs Huma

Huncamunca, you are definitely the knowledgeable one! I was in the UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 and clicked on Home and then View All New Records. Now I can see 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938'.

I will look this up later, as I must run out to a most enjoyable class of mosaics.

Many, Many thanks - very interested in where this will take me.

Wendy :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.