Joseph Woodward Of Bushey born 1834

Discussion in 'Hertfordshire' started by annabel, Jan 25, 2021.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I'm trying to find more about the parents of Joseph, starting with his mother's maiden name.

Joseph is with his wife Sarah and their children in 1871, living in St George Hanover Square, London RG10; Piece: 106; Folio: 57; Page: 13

I think he was baptised in 1834 father Joseph mother Lydia, in Aldenham
    In 1851 I think he is with Lydia (b 1811 Watford) and sister Sarah b 1841 in Aldenham, HO107; Piece: 1714; Folio: 22; Page: 7
    In 1841 in Aldenham he also has a sister Caroline b 1836, HO107; Piece: 438; Book: 3, Folio: 19; Page: 7

And that is it. I haven't found his marriage to Sarah (Sparks?), and I'm not convinced by the only marriage I can find for a Lydia and Joseph as it's the wrong place and too early.

Would anyone be able to find any clues? Thank you

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

How about Joseph Woodward and Lydia Colley - married 14 April 1833 in Little Stanmore, Harrow - or is that the one you think it isn't?

There is a birth reg for a Sarah Woodward in 1839 Watford Union, mmn Colley. The Watford Union covered Aldenham.

The only strange thing is that Banns were read on the previous three weeks and the names listed were Joseph Woodward and Elizabeth Colley - though that could have been an error in her name.

Lydia says she was born in Watford, Herts - there is a baptism for a Lydia Colley on 3 June 1810 at Abbots Langley, Hertford. Father John, mother Sarah.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is also a sister for Lydia, Caroline born 11/6/1820. So this looks good for the maiden name of Lydia.

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Sarah Colley could be Sarah Sears mmn according to an Ancestry tree. No other details.

5. annabel

Ah, that about clinches it. I missed that :sceptical:. I was thrown by the Little Stanmore address.
    There is also marriage 1833 for Lydia Colley and Joseph Woodward

Thank you everyone. Do you think someone clever might be able to find anything out about dad Joseph Woodward?

Lydia was a widow by 1841. On Sarah's baptism he is described as a gardener. At the risk of being embarrassed again, some hints have him as born in Gloucestershire, but that looks unlikely to me.

(Somewhere soon, there is likely to be the name Archer or Burch/Birch come up) Thank you

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

The baps for the children of Joseph and Lydia are on FMP with images
    a son George was baptised in 2/10/1842, at the same time as Sarah, in Aldenham, and Joseph is recorded as a labourer
    this is George's birth reg
    upload_2021-1-26_9-22-56.png

7. annabel

Ah yes, thank you. It looks like George died in 1847

8. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is a death reg for Joseph Woodward age 42 which might be your man
    June qtr 1842 Watford 6 - 408

If so, you are looking for a birth c1800 for Joseph