Just Wondering

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Archie's Mum, Mar 14, 2020.

1. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Yesterday I went to pick up a custom framed needlework that's meant as a birthday gift for my BFF (next week). It's a national chain craft store - on the non-essential list due to close that evening for 3 weeks. Social distancing marks on the floor at checkout, clear plastic sheets hanging from ceiling to separate the cashier and the customer (a little blurry to look through, but okay). While I was at the counter, the phone rang. The store manager took the call and then announced the store would remain open. My cashier was clearly rattled. "And we're an essential business how?" she said. I guess so all us crafters have something to do. o_O

I do have to crank up my 20-year-old truck and drive it a few miles every few days or it won't start. So I run "essential" errands twice a week - mostly by the post office to drop off bill payments. A local gas station / car wash has started offering full service fill-ups so folks don't have to get out of their cars. :)

2. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Thanks Auburn.
    I know you're right.
    I just wish ...

Do you think it's possible to go mad from lack of seeing the wild primroses?

When this is all over, will "they" find a spotlessly-clean house (I wish!) with a loopy old woman surrounded by books and genealogy papers? :eek::D

Jane

Nightryder, Ma-dotcom, Libby and 7 others like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I know it's not the same Jane, but just taken this in my garden for you :)

upload_2020-3-29_15-2-48.png
    I hasten to add these are all self set, I've never planted one!

4. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Yes- I probably will go mad but I do have a tiny garden with a hedgehog who has just woken up and loads of birds and bugs. I keep it a bit wild and scruffy to make up for all those concreted over gardens and decking etc. in the neighbourhood.I get moles,frogs, sparrowhawks so plenty to watch.

No chance of a spotless house!
    Let's go loopy together!

5. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

Which is now not going to happen for some time as the Pharmacist (owner) died on Friday (heart attack not Covid) and it seems for speed all business has been transferred to one of the big chains

6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

This is familiar. :sceptical:

Sis, Archie's Mum, Auburn and 4 others like this.
  7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

:(

Half Hour, Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I normally order special dog food for Shadow (who you will find out about in tomorrow's blog) but there is none to be had until further notice. I just hope that he can manage sharing with Merlin. :nailbiting:

Meanwhile, I have 2 deliveries due to arrive on Friday. At least I don't have to make arrangements to be certain of being in for the delivery slot... whenever it might be! ;)

9. Bay Horse

That's a shame, WRL. :( The smaller businesses, those that can adapt for home delivery, are going to come out of this very well. My local butcher left a order on the doorstep yesterday, then I transferred cash into his account online. He is incredibly busy. And the local milkman thinks he's won the lottery - a few months ago he was struggling to keep going.

Who mentioned the cemetery? Ours is shut, at least to traffic. In all these years I have never seen the gates closed - and they are beautiful. Big and ornate.

10. Bay Horse

A couple of weeks ago I bought a sack of my cat's 'elite' food from the farm where I kept the horse and a passer-by stopped me on the way home and said, "Excuse me, where did you buy that?" I thought it a strange request, and sure enough the cat and dog food cleared from the shelves a week later.

Ma-dotcom and Auburn like this.
  11. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Sorry to read this:(.
    Surely your knowledge of those patients concerned could be utilised by the new pharmacy?

12. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

i would hope so, have tried to contact them but no response as yet.

13. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Ma-dotcom and WelchRegLost like this.
  14. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Good luck- I hope they have the sense to utilise your experience.
    And I bet your customers would be pleased to see a familiar face.

Ma-dotcom and WelchRegLost like this.
  15. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Today 18 new cases of Covid-19 reported in Cornwall bringing the total to 64. Seven deaths reported so far in Cornwall.
    There is one main hospital in Cornwall at Treliske,Truro. I don't know if St Austell and Penzance hospital will take patients.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  16. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

My daughter found a thermometer that I had free years ago and she uses it under the arm.
    She cleaned it and asked me to test. I put it under the left arm and it was lowish and then later under my right arm it was normal.

Moff likes this.
  17. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

This is shocking...

My sister-in-law works for a private hospital. These have been taken into the NHS. She told me today that the staff, whose numbers are down due to some having the virus, will be expected to work with coronavirus patients without proper training and protective equipment. She's at a terrible risk, being 62 and recovering from illness, and although she's very frightened she feels that she will have to work.

Being retired, I can stay at home, but my husband works for the NHS Courier Service, so will be at risk daily. I try not to think of the possibility of him catching the virus and bringing it home.

18. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

On a happier note.....it’s raining here. :D

19. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I am so green with envy. Someone actually to fill up the car, check the tyres, clean the window, just like the old days when they were ‘service stations’ And there was actually service :rolleyes:
    And who said a craft shop wasn’t an essential service. Do they want us to do go batty as well.
    The hardware is open for the blokes, just in case something needs replacing at home, ie tap washers, broken handles. So the craft shop is there for mending our old clothes, buttons, cottons, as we can’t get out to buy a new, whatever. It’s a time of making do after all.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  20. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

A truly wonderful picture Ann, lovely to look at and it brings back some wonderful memories for me. In our courting days when my wife, then girl friend, and I were going for a walk over the fields near my parents place, if anyone asked us where we were going the reply was Bluebelling, come Spring, Summer and Autumn same answer. :D About a ten minute walk from my parents house there was a small wood full of Bluebells, now gone of course, that's progress for you. :mad:

Our first house (rented) in Danbury Essex was just a short walk from Blake's Wood a National Trust wood, it was full of Bluebells and when they were on bloom it looked as though there was a blue mist through the trees, magic stuff. From memory I think I have a photo in My Media.

I have a fenced off corner of my back garden where I have some Bluebells planted around a Tree Fern, to spare them from Chance the wonder dog. I'm hoping to see some Primulas the same colour as the wild Primroses that I can buy to plant with the Bluebells, it will be my little bit of Essex. I suppose the Tree Fern will be out of place but it will just have to put up with it. :D