Keeping up with the times

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Schnurrbart, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

:D

2. Archie's Mum

Don’t you just love having to listen the conversations. :rolleyes:

Philippa likes this.
  3. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

A great word used by my Irish half of the family when refering to a "*ec***g eejit, and Ireland never uses *uc***g always *ec**ng.
    I like and understand Drongo but it wouldn't carry much weight over here as a) it isn't known and b) it doesn't really sound offensive enough.

and while we are here what about ditzy which is always used in regard to a female but never a man so Divi and Ditzy could make a fine couple!

Philippa, MollyMay and LianeH like this.
  4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Drongo! I remember that from 'Home and Away'. :rolleyes::D

Liverpool, it has to be said, has plenty of synonyms for 'idiot' in common usage. :D

Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Oh man!! Can you just imagine the oozes of intelligence that would leak into the atmosphere if they married, bred - or even just conversed?

I have just boggled myself into oblivion so will now leave the world to its own devices while I retire to recover.

'Night!!

LianeH and Bay Horse like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Ditzy is used in our household and a drongo is really a black coloured bird with a funny shaped tail but the word comes from a racehorse named Drongo who never won a race although placed many times.

Bay Horse likes this.
  7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I wish all the drongoes I know were black birds, Sue. Hopefully they would then migrate and leave me and my little world safe and free!!!
    :D

Chimp likes this.
  8. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

....er but returning to the original question - the concern about possible radiation related illnesses from using a mobile close to your brain continues to cause occasional debate. A few years ago I was concerned because one of the telephone companies applied to erect a cell mast a few yards away from a building being used as a pre-school nursery by small children, including my own grandson. I read up about it and wasn't satisfied by the glib answers supplied by the industry and regulators so I protested and as a result the planning application was refused. However, the Government is in favour of far greater dissemination of such masts and so eventually the applicants won consent on appeal. Call me a Luddite.

It is a matter of some amusement to me to see people walking around with white antenna sticking out of their ears. It reminds me of kids from my childhood who when suffering from ear infections were sometimes given cotton wool to stick into their ears, much to derision of other thoughtful kids.

However, now I am grown up my ears no longer work as well as they should so I have taken to wearing hearing aids, albeit carefully coloured to match my hair and with transparent tubes into my lugs. I am no longer quite as vain as I used to be but even so I was pleased that people sometimes don't notice that I was wearing such signs of decrepitude, even my golfing mates who stop at nothing to get a rise as I am about to slice my drive.

One of the great advantages however is that as I type I am streaming music by Chris Botti into my ears from my phone which is sitting on a nearby table. I don't need little white aerials in my ears to enjoy the music. So while I am still somewhat sceptical about the health issues of higher power microwave transmitters in my neighbourhood I have decided that the very low emissions inherent in Bluetooth are worth putting up with given that my streaming time is quite low anyway.

Do I look like a Divi? Don't know, but if so there are hundreds of thousands of mainly elderly folk like me who couldn't care less, especially as you can reach behind and turn the "on" switch to "off" when the wife starts nagging. Oops is there a forum rule about nagging:nailbiting:

arthurk, GrannyBarb, Libby and 8 others like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Not as far as I know but we could soon create one :rolleyes:
    How can you hear her nagging with all that trumpeting going on?

Findem and Chimp like this.
  10. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

I tell hubby that I dont nag but add constructive comments that should be listened to:D (he still doesnt listen though:rolleyes:)

Findem, Chimp, MollyMay and 1 other person like this.
  11. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

My wife, along with other parents fought against the erection of a mast on top of a building next to our child's school 18 years ago, and with radio, both local and national interviewing her live on air, eventually after many months, British Telecom capitulated and took the mast down.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1527577.stm
    and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1489353.stm

Findem likes this.
  12. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Sadly the pre-school nursery went the way of so many others after my grandson moved up to infant school. It wasn't his fault - just the result of inadequate funding and illogical government policies. So the mast is no longer such a big issue. Just a blot on the horizon.

Findem likes this.
  13. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I keep walking towards them to see how close they get before they looki up and see me.

Findem, Archie's Mum, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  14. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

So do I..... :ghost:

Findem, Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  15. Archie's Mum

As I. But I go one further. Not sure about over there but here people have forgotten that you keep to the left, as on the road, when walking on a footpath. Some how that’s gone with other manners. I take great delight when they are coming toward me, head down texting or whatever on the wrong side of the path.....just stand there. I refuse to make way for them. Nine times out of ten I get an apology. Other times, a look and they keep going. Around me.
    Some paths have a line up the middle and direction arrows, rarely though.

Chimp and Findem like this.
  16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I just go beep beep loudly as they get closer and keep walking, they usually hop to one side, haven't collided with anyone yet.

Chimp and Archie's Mum like this.
  17. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

One of my pet peeves is people at shopping centers who are in such a hurry they just dash across in front of your trolley!! I used to come to a screeching halt. Not now though as I have a balance issue and can't stop suddenly. I just keep right on going, haven't collected anyone yet, but it's only a matter of time.
    :oops::D

18. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Simple answer to someone who abandons their trolly blocking the isle while they go off looking for something. Help them out, as they obviously must have wanted something off the one of the shelves where they left their trolly. Grab an item off the shelf and kindly add it to their shopping. I like to help out where I can :D

Findem, Bay Horse, LianeH and 11 others like this.
  19. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

:D:D:D:D:D Love it!!!

Findem, Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

A rather large jar of expensive coffee would do the trick.
    Actually that rather sounds like something a chimp would do.

Findem, Philippa and Chimp like this.