Landowners of Blackbraes Muiravonside 1911

Discussion in 'Stirlingshire' started by Philippa, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

When David Harvey married Maggie Eccles in Maddiston in 1902 his occupation was given as gardener, and his address was Park Hall, Muiravonside.

In 1910 he and his wife "removed" son John from the Maddiston Public School, reason being the family was moving to Blackbraes.

As Park Hall was "the big house" in Maddiston, I'd love to find out if there was an equivalent in Blackbraes as I imagine David would have at least been trying to continue in his chosen profession.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

electricscotland.com/history/Stirlingshire/chap37.htm
    History of Stirlingshire-Landowners

GrannyBarb likes this.
  3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Thanks, Sue. It's so nice of you to look at this.

I have been dredging around almost all day and found that reference. A possible is a John Russell, a lawyer of Falkirk, but nothing to pin the man down for sure and certain as the employer. There are so many words there that help to hide the information!!

I've also been banging my head on the LDS site brick wall trying to go through census records to absolutely no avail. Where they have a "possible" there is no image available, just a transcribed "details" bit with nothing of family, place, or others in the household. I saw one where an image was available but I had to be in a library or on site somewhere like Pluto to access the image. Lacked the impetus to check that further so let it go.

In my meanderings I also found a forum for Blackbraes but for some reason or other I get the impression I'm the only member!!! Will let that lie for a while and see what, if anything, develops.

When my mother said I was put on this earth to create havoc, she didn't allow for the forces "out there" conspiring madly to increase my feelings of frustration!! By nature I'm not a havoc creator - I'm really a nice, quiet, gentle and self-effacing person (did I mention modest? :p )!! (Would go out there and havoc away except I feel the ancestors would just ignore me!! :eek: )

Seriously, thanks, Sue. It's all good and all will (hopefully) reveal itself in the fullness of time. I'm about to go and do something about dinner and will come back later and see if anything has floated to the surface after my latest dig stir dig effort.

;)

4. Archie's Mum

I didn't catch until too late the reference to 1911 but a bit more digging has revealed that after the mining leases had expired the land was to revert back to the landowners. Who ever they may be. The Stirling's appear a lot. Wonder why.
    Like the Sutherland's of Sutherlandshire, not the one here (and me being one), they were/are seriously well off.

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

John might still need to go to school so another possible line of enquiry is to see if there are any school records that might provide an address/occupation for his father, David.

The closest school that I can find is in the village of California, next door. From their website, the picture looks as though it was around at the time, so perhaps an email?
    Code:
    http://www.california.falkirk.sch.uk/

6. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

There was a school at Blackbraes at the time, Jan, with over 3 times the number of enrollments of Maddiston. I was hoping to get information about David's job before hitting the schools, but your suggestion is definitely a good one. Unfortunately the whole village of Blackbraes has now disappeared (site now called something like Dollar Park?), so it's going to be another chase to find out who (if anyone) has the records from the old school. I am in the middle of rekindling a link to Maddiston and I might ask that kind gentleman if he has any ideas. I also have to contact the Falkirk History group (now occupying part of Callendar House (sigh) ) about my McDougall soldier death in India, so might toss another question into the mix just to see what comes up.

Who ever said a question re ancestors was unanswerable? I know - it was ME!!

Thanks, Jan. XX

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Falkirk Community Trust.org.
    California Public School was established in 1929 with the formal amalgamation of California and Blackbraes. Blackbraes was established by 1890.
    According to the above.
    Try the above or Falkirk Archives for the school log books.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Philippa like this.
  8. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I think they are the ones "resident" at Callendar House, Sue, so they are definitely on my radar.

Thanks again.

XX

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Any use Philippa?
    Falkirk Herald 26th October 1918
    At 104 Kirkintilloch Rd, Bishopbriggs, on the 21st inst., suddenly, of pneumonia, Andrew Harvey, apprentice engineer, aged 15 years and 9 months, elder son of the late David Harvey and Mrs Harvey, teacher, California, Polmont, and dearly beloved grandson of John Eccles, Maddiston, Muiravonside; very deeply mourned.

10. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Ann, OMG!!!! Bill's father's parents were David Reid Harvey and Maggie (Margaret) Eccles. Maggie's father was John, Inspector of the Poor (and a couple of other titles/responsibilities incl registrar of BDM) and he, with Maggie's sisters Jessie and Isobel, lived in Maddiston. Jessie was a teacher and Isobel was deputy registrar. I haven't seen anything about Maggie other than her marriage, but her occupation of teacher fits well with the way the family is described. As far as we knew until this very second, Bill's father (John Eccles Harvey) had one sister, Jessie (obviously named for her aunt and by coincidence a teacher) but we never knew who was the older. I always wondered about the 6 years between David and Maggie's marriage and John's appearance, so obviously there were more children and you have just filled a gap for me. This has opened up another glimpse into the family altogether. Bill's Dad was born in 1905 so would have been 13 when Andrew died. Given the Eccles' occupations the family was obviously educated, so an apprentice engineer sits well.

WOW. I'll have to tell Bill about this later. He knows so little about his family that everything I uncover is a bit like a magic lantern show - for both of us.

I am definitely going to sleep on this and will attack everything tomorrow with "renewed vigour". You are so special!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you , thank you...........

11. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

She is so, :D & she :reading: a lot. :)

AnnB, Philippa and Archie's Mum like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

I know someone who is glad she asked the question about landowners in Blackbraes :)

AnnB, Philippa and Ma-dotcom like this.
  13. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Now I wonder who that could be? :);):p:D

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Ask on this forum, you'll soon know all.

Daft Bat, Archie's Mum and Philippa like this.
  15. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

It looks like Blackbraes was only a small place back then.

From Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, Francis H Groome 1901

http://digital.nls.uk/gazetteers-of-scotland-1803-1901/pageturner.cfm?id=97395262

Blackbraes, a village in the W of Muiravonside parish, Stirlingshire, 3 1/4 miles SSW of Falkirk. At it are a public school and a parish church, which, built at a cost of £860, serves also for Shieldhill in Polmont parish. Pop. (1861) 507, (1891) 510.

There's a Blackbraes Farm here.
    https://familysearch.org/photos/images/6947876

Can't find much else about Blackbraes.

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  16. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Maddiston School - School Log Book 1911 to 1926

D-O-Add and Readm'n - 15th March 1909
    Full Name - Andrew Harvey
    D-O-Birth - 2nd January 1903
    Parent - Mrs Harvey
    Address - Maddiston
    Last School - Beith
    D-O-Leaving - 24th June 1910
    Cause of Leaving - Gone to, Blackbraes

D-O-Add and Readm'n - 15th March 1909
    Full Name - John Harvey
    D-O-Birth - 13th March 1905
    Parent - Mrs Harvey
    Address - Maddiston
    Last School - None
    D-O-Leaving - 24th June 1910
    Cause of Leaving - Gone to, Blackbraes

Falkirk Herald - 13th May 1950
    THE LATE MRS HARVEY.—It was with regret that her many friends in the village learned of the death of Mrs Harvey. late of Brae Head, California, at 28 Fankerton, Denny, the residence of her daughter (Jessie), Mrs Kelly. Mrs Harvey has been in failing health for the past ten years, and had been a widow for over 40 years. She was a highly respected teacher in Blackbraes School for over 30 years, and her pupils appreciated and benefited by her able teaching. She was the daughter of the late Mr Eccles, registrar for Muiravonside Parish. The funeral was of a private nature to Muiravonside Cemetery on Thursday. The School was represented and the teachers and pupils subscribed for a floral tribute. Mrs Harvey is survived by one daughter and one son.

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and AnnB like this.
  17. Sis

I think that a James Russell of Blackbraes was probably the one who had 'the big house' in Blackbraes. If you google james russell blackbraes a few things come up that may help. Though I haven't manage to find a name for his house, it usually just says James Russell of Blackbraes, Anyway it may give you something to go on.

Edit to add:
    Investigating a bit further the Russell's were a very wealthy family.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  18. Sis

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  19. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Thank you Terry, I found that just before I had to go out, so you've done the honours :)

Ma-dotcom, Archie's Mum and Chimp like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

There's a happy little vegemite in Canberra tonight.......:D

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, Sis and 1 other person like this.