Lane - where do I start?

Discussion in 'Herefordshire' started by Ginny, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

The first of my ancestors to come to the "New World" was Richard Lane, his wife, Alice (Carter) Lane, and their family to Providence Island in the West Indies. This was around 1635 on the ship "Expectation." From what I have been able to find on my end here, he was born in 1596. Possible father Roger Lane. Possible mother Beatrix (?). It is also a strong possibility that parents were married St Peters Church, Hereford and that Richard and his siblings were baptized there. So, I guess am looking at anything around mid-1500's to mid-1600's.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

You have probably seen the 8 children of Roger & Beatrix via Familysearch along with the death of son John 1594, another John born 1597 & marriage of Dtr Beatrix to a Jonas Meredith 1609 at St.Peter's Hereford, her Christening same place 1591.
    Also a member submitted tree.
    A possible christening for Roger is this one:

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Rogerus Lane
    Christening: 12 October 1572 Madley, Hereford, England
    residence: Madley, Hereford, England
    Pts Walteri Lane + Aloicia 12 Oct. 1572

The way to go may be via Familysearch & viewing their films if you haven't done so already.
    I did see another version on Ancestry listed as Hertfordshire, for Richard Lane.
    3 Aug 1595
    Christening Place: Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, England
    Father's Name: Richard Lane.
    with a good slice of luck, someone may know where to find Parish Records for Hereford St. Peters.

Ginny likes this.
  3. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thank you!!!!

4. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi, Wendy. Just wanted to update you on my progress (or lack of). The 1572 christening isn't "my" Roger I'm afraid. Dates just don't work out. However, the christening for the 8 children are good. That is my family line through Richard. I am hoping that someone will know where to find the Parish Records or at least can direct me as to how to make contact with someone at St. Peters who, in turn could help. Thank you for your help and suggestions. Have a wonderful day! It is Sunday here and I will be off computer until later this evening. (Having a hard time figuring out time/day differences)

5. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Hi Ginny,

Where did Roger & Alice marry? As that may give us more of a clue re if your Roger was from Herefordshire (close to Wales) or Hertfordshire (which is close to London). It is about 140 miles between the two :D

Do you know Roger's occupation?

Karen

6. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi, Karen.

Roger was actually married to Beatrix (last name unknown) around 1589. According to research that I have been able to find here, they were married in Hereford. They had 8-10 children, one of whom was Richard Lane. Roger was possibly an "apothecary." Richard married Alice Carter, 1623, St. Mildred Poultry, London (?). He, Alice, and their 4 children immigrated to Isle of Providence about the ship "Expectation" in 1632. Where everything begins to get especially confusing is from Roger backwards. I am hoping to resolve at least some of the confusion. :) There is one researcher who indicated someone named Thomas married to Alice Bagot as Richard's parents, but also indicated that they married 3 years after Richard's birthdate. So I am a bit suspicious of that. Thank you for your interest and your help! Sorry if I am a bit long, but it is hard to explain.

7. dizzyme

Hi Ginny,

Ooophs, I did mean Richard & Alice o_O

I live close to Worcester and they have the Hereford Parish registers which I could go look at for you if you'd like?

Karen

8. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Oh Karen, that would be absolutely fantastic!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I don't want to cause you any inconvenience or trouble, but if you have time and can do it, I would certainly appreciate it. If you do find anything and can make copies, I will certainly be grateful, and would be more than happy to reimburse you for any expenses if we can figure out a way to do that. Again, thank you!

9. Ginny

Ginny New Member

I am, at this point, especially interested in whatever you can find on Roger Lane (apothecary). From what I've looked at either online or through others' research seem to indicate he was the son of a "Sir Ralph Lane" from Orlingbury, Northamptonshire, who was married to "Maud Parr" a cousin of Catherine Parr, 6th wife of King Henry VIII. Considering that "my" Roger was an apothecary in Hereford, I have trouble making that connection. Wouldn't the son of a lord be more prominent with a different kind of occupation? Like a huge jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing.

10. dizzyme

Hi Ginny,

Happy to help, although I don't have a great deal of experience with this time frame, but the staff at the records are very knowledgeable :D

I'll try and get there this week all going well...

It's late here 00.30 so my bed is calling! You can always PM me by clicking on my avatar, with any specifics.
    Karen

11. dizzyme

Disappointing news :(:mad:

Since Worcester & Hereford split in to separate counties a few years ago, Worcester Record Office no longer has Herefordshire records!

Thought 'oh well' will go to Hereford. Check their website to find that they are closed until spring 2015, as they are moving into new premises - frustrating to say the least!

I'll keep a lookout for their reopening and go then.

Karen

Ma-dotcom likes this.