Letters Home

Discussion in 'British Army' started by Blackmogs, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

At my Family History group this morning a member showed some 'letters ' a relative had sent back from the Western Front in WW2. I say letters, but they were more like messages really. They had been microfilmed (which is what happened to save shipping space) and had little illustrations on them. For example one had a drawing of Mickey Mouse with the recipients name and Happy Birthday. Others had quite niaive drawings of this and that, all single sided with an instruction to write inside the box. The member's question was whether or not his father had drawn them, having never since shown any artistic bent!

I think I read somewhere that troops were given pre-printed letter card thingys to send home with their own message. Has anyone else come accross this at all?

Eve and Sandiep like this.
  2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I wish my grandad's letters home from the Front hadn't been disposed of (only recently) - he may even have kept examples of such cards.

I do remember him saying that it was often just 'blue pencil... blue pencil' by the time it arrived home.

Sandiep likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

We have a letter from my father in law, kindly ‘given’ to us from a collection of his war things sister in law has squiralled away for no one to touch....however.
    It is a tiny little photo of a letter with the receivers address written in a box on the top. The message written underneath. It was called V Mail. The letter was then photographed on film. The roll of film was then sent back home. Printed then each little letter was popped into a brown paper miniature envelope with the address showing through the hand cut window in the envelope. It’s a treasure. So pleased she finally after 30 years decided to share....:oops: perhaps it may have been with a bit of help from moi.

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.
  4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Apparently the letters were sent like that to save storage on planes and boats. Makes sense but i cannot find anything about illustrated ones.

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

No. I’ve never seen one either. You have me curious now.
    Just had a squiz on eBay. There are few on there but whether they are preprinted it’s hard to tell, apart from some greeting card ones, ie Christmas. Maybe if they are hand drawn he may have had someone else do the illustrations for him.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.