Living Husband!!!

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by dizzyme, Oct 25, 2022.

1. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this before, Marriage Banns that state that the bride is a widow but in brackets beside it 'Husband Living'!!!! A tree online has k Cannot make out what it says in the margin, thoughts appreciated.

Emmanuel Rowland & Sarah Breeze Marriage Banns Nov 1857.JPG

This was at the Parish Church, Staveley, Derbyshire. Sarah's maiden name was Smith. They are not direct relatives, far off twiglets.... Emanuel went on to marry Charlotte Lock in 1876. I have posted previously about Charlotte, she had two children with my 3xgreat grandfather, although they did not marry.

2. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Have seen somewhere that some divorced women of the 18th and 19th centuries preferred to use the term widow. Though that was in relation to the census perhaps it also applied in this instance.

Ma-dotcom and dizzyme like this.
  3. dizzyme

Changed my mind about what I was going to say but obviously forgot to delete it :oops::rolleyes::headbang:

4. dizzyme

Great suggestion but I have read that divorce was so expensive in those times that it wasn't really available to ordinary people, but you never know.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

@dizzyme I took the magnifying glass to the comment in the margin an I can't figure it out either!

dizzyme likes this.
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think it says 'withdraw[n]' :)

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom, dizzyme and 2 others like this.
  7. GJH

GJH Well-Known Member

Could the margin note be "withdrawn"? The other notes seem to be some sort of abbreviation of "married".

EDIT: Ann just beat me to it :)

Ma-dotcom, dizzyme and AnnB like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Well, they got that far. Banns were called. Husband noted as living. She states she is widowed. Then the marriage didn’t go ahead. It was 1857. Husband could have been sentenced to transportation some years previously. She was entitled to be referred to as a widow as husband was never coming back. She was also entitled to marry again but they had a fallout and it was called off. Or someone objected.
    Just a thought.
    Looks like he was Samuel Breeze, married Sarah Smith in Derbyshire. Not transported here but still could have been in prison for 7 years or more.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Bay Horse and Grizel like this.
  9. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Can't find anything in the newspapers to say Samuel BREEZE was transported, but there is an article in the Derbyshire Courier dated 30 October 1852 to the effect that Samuel BREEZE & two others were involved in a drunken row at Staveley. The case against one of the two others was dismissed but Samuel & the other person involved were fined 16s each and if they did not pay the fine to be put in the stocks for 6 hours. However, there is a criminal record on Ancestry for a Samuel BREEZE convicted of Robbery at Derby on 6 December 1855 and sentenced to 6 years imprisonment, which could be relevant to you.

Janet

GJH, Grizel, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  10. dizzyme

Thank you all!!
    Agree, don't think they married as can't find a GRO registration. Emanuel did say that he was a 'widower' when he married in 1876.
    Will have a look at the criminal record for Samuel, sounds like that is him & that is the explanation for the marriage bann comment.
    Didn't know that spouses of someone imprisoned for a significant time could remarry. There's always something new to learn :)

Thanks again

Bay Horse, GJH and Grizel like this.
  11. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Emanuel and Sarah are in Sheffield in 1861 with five Rowland children. The eldest two, William and Hannah, are actually children of Samuel Breeze.