Llantilio Pertholey

Discussion in 'Monmouthshire' started by Teeps22, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Teeps22

Teeps22 New Member

Hi all,

I've been researching my paternal line for some time now and have come to a bit of a halt as finding it difficult to make headway with documents online. Feel I may need some 'on-the-ground' input but have no idea where to begin. Hoping to get some feedback on here to point me in the right direction.

I've traced as far back as my Great-Great-Great Grandfather to a farm in Forest Coal Pit, near Abergavenny; where his children and grandchildren were born. My Great Grandfather left the area after he got married.

I'd be ever so grateful if any of you could advise me of where records for this area would be kept now. I'd particularly be interested in documents from the 1700s and 1800s.

The area in question is Llantilio Pertholey.

Many thanks,
    Teeps

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

See this link

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/PR_List Also you should look at the Genuki site for Llantilo Pertholey for where the church records are kept. You should be able to find some at the Local archive/record office. Would that be Monmouth or Abergaveny?

Findem, Teeps22, Sis and 2 others like this.
  3. Last Resort

Last Resort Active Member

According to my list of Welsh parish records, registers from 1591 are held in the Gwent Record Office, which is now in Ebbw Vale, I believe. BTs from 1725 are in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. If you subscribe to Find My Past, you could try a search there with your ancestor's name, as they certainly have access to some Monmouthshire records.

Findem, Teeps22 and Sis like this.
  4. Teeps22

Teeps22 New Member

Thanks so much all. I will make a start with the advice you've kindly given. I think Gwent Record Office will be a great place to start.

Findem and Daft Bat like this.