Lloyds Weekly News Aug 1905 - Jeannette Kanapka

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by HildaW, Nov 20, 2016.

1. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Aug 1905 Tynemouth Villas, Pleasant Road, Wood Green
    - address from a newspaper article Lloyds Weekly News - regarding an appearance in the Thames Police Court where husband Hyman is requesting the 16s (per week maintenance?) be rescinded because Jeannette had been seen arm in arm with the lodger Alexander Charles Tassell. There is a further newspaper article in the Lloyds Weekly News (only available from a US site) where a witness was to be brought to prove his case. (This info was given to me but I have never been able to prove if true)

Does anyone have a sub for the US site that holds these British newspapers? and if so could I have a transcription or scan of both articles.

I will be in London over Christmas and from these newspaper articles I hope to be able to get copies of the court case.
    Question: where might the court case papers be held?

Thanks in advance

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Hilda according to the National Archives:

THAMES MAGISTRATES' COURT (FORMERLY THAMES POLICE COURT)
    This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

Code:
    https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/default.aspx

HildaW likes this.
  3. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Fantastic Sis thanks so much so that's definitely a #1 on my list of London things to do, will be interesting reading I am sure.

4. Sis

Hvee you been to the link Hilda? The reason I ask is they say they will have disruptions mid Dec to mid Jan. Anyway, if you haven't already, take a look as you can find out what and what will not be available. Sorry should have pointed this out in my last post:(

HildaW likes this.
  5. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Thanks yes, I had a good look at LMA and it does seem that their lifts will be out of order so parts of the archives will not be accessible but from what I read it looks as if they may not have the year 1905. I will email and ask if the year I am looking for is in their archives and will it be available when I am there which is murphy's law for me - during their disruptions!!! so here's hoping a kind person their answers my email tomorrow when I send.
    My next port of call will be the Devon Records Office - hope they are open otherwise my trip will be a complete whitewash for genealogy ggrrr - these 2 people don't look as if they want to give up their secrets without a massive fight!!!!

Sis likes this.
  6. Sis

I found that British Newspaper Archives have the newspaper but only up to 1900! I did wonder if they stopped publication then. But found this on Wikipedia:
    "The name had already been changed from Lloyd’s Weekly Newspaper to Lloyd’s Weekly News in 1902 and to Lloyd’s Sunday News in 1918.

HildaW likes this.
  7. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi Hilda.
    I haven't found it on any US site (so far). I did run across a page at the British Library that might be helpful.

Code:
    http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestype/news/diffnews/
    I will look again for online newspaper archives, just in case...

Sis and HildaW like this.
  8. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Thanks to both for further help. On Brit Newspapers you can see the years they hold and it stops a few years before 1905. As far as I can establish those editions of the newspapers no longer belong to England - assume the USA site bought the rights some years ago. Going from memory the newspapers from about 1901 are now held by a US site - newspapers.com and vitalrecords (which I think refers back to newspapers.com). Newspapers.com there are 2 references in Lloyds Weekly News of 1905 to articles on Jeannette and if the LMA do not have the court case papers then these articles are the only source to possibly clear up a mystery i.e. whether my husband's grandmother was a Kanapka or a Tassell she having been born in June 1905 and the court case took place in August 1905.

Sis and GrannyBarb like this.
  9. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

10. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Hilda hope you have a fab time in London over Christmas, there is lots to do so hope you manage to see/do as much as you can. The LMA is great but also check out the National Archives at Kew - worth looking at their website as there is probably something there you can get your teeth into but more importantly enjoy:)

HildaW likes this.
  11. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've tried to find a report in any of the other newspapers available but with no luck :( The coverage of London newspapers after 1900 isn't good, but I thought it might have been mentioned in a paper other than a London one.

HildaW, Sis and GrannyBarb like this.
  12. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Ah, newspapers.com. That is a subscription site that I try to avoid because I hate to spend $ if I don't have to. Hmmm. :sceptical: The good news is that you can actually go to London, which is better than I can do. :) Hope it works out for you with a good result.

HildaW and Sis like this.
  13. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I see that the two wed in 1915:
    September quarter, Fulham registration district, volume 1a, page 919. Although Jeannette is recorded as known, Alexander is recorded as Charles A Tassell ;)

HildaW, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi to everyone, many thanks for help... yes Jan she did marry the lodger just before the 3rd registered Tassell child was born. He stayed around for a few years and disappeared (2nd husband to dump her!!!) and started a whole new family a descendant contacted me "because you seem to have my great grandfather in your tree, please explain" - that family had no idea he had a previous wife and 3 (now possibly 4) children.. what a shock for them but they took it well and we are still in contact. Hopefully the weather is not too bad to enable us to go traipsing the streets of London, our daughter and her lovely partner will be cooking the Christmas lunch this year.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  15. Sis

Enjoy Hilda:)

HildaW likes this.
  16. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Emailed the LMA yesterday morning got a reply this morning, WOW really fast service, Thames court cases are at LMA but sadly domestic cases no longer exist that far back so.... that leaves me only the newspaper articles.

Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

When you get there Hilda, please say hello from me, lots of spirit Family hanging out there. ;)

Sis likes this.
  18. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy will say hello to your ancestors for you