Lockdown Activity

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Blackmogs, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hi All,

What are you all doing with yourselves (if you aren't still working) these days? Just before all this nastiness started I volunteered to do a bit of transcribing for the Sussex Family History Group. They have a lot of family histories that have been donated to them over the years, mostly in paper format of one sort or another and they wanted to get them entered into a searchable online database. The idea being that if they are entered on to a commercial tree thingy, they can be exported as Gedcoms and any name in a given tree can be searched for.

I picked a couple from their list, two names being researched by one of our members in the hope it might help close to home! The first turned out to be 261 pages long and containing over 7000 names! The plus side is that it is in a straightforward typed descendant thing which looks as though it has been extracted from an existing family tree application like FTM. Unfortunately they sent it to SFHG as a PDF, so somewhere this is already typed into a programme! Im trying not to think of that.

It is fascinating work but kills me not to be able to follow up the gaps, and check online which is not the name of the game at all! This family are very notable, loads of money and posh houses, nary an ag lab in the lot of 'em. Mind you there is time as I am only at 401 people so far.

The other family is only about 43 pages but, all handwritten trees and notes so I reckon that will be really hard to do.

This is complete and utter escapism as you get completely lost in their story. The other thing I'm doing is a weekly live watercolour workshop with a chap I normally go to for painting hollibobs. That is also wonderful.

For the avoidance of doubt, all of the cupboards, the loft and the cellar still need clearing out. :D:D:D i'm telling myself there's no point in doing them 'cos I cannot go to the tip, we are quarantined. :D:D

dizzyme, Eve, Nightryder and 14 others like this.
  2. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

You will know what I have been doing, Sue. Stepped up to four a day
    for SFHG! I did one the other day which mentioned your early Suters,
    will send it to you.
    Otherwise, house gable ends times three painted. Many forgotten areas
    cleaned up etc. I have no idea when business will pick up again, I
    think it will be a long time before Spain is opened up again!

Auburn, MollyMay, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  3. Blackmogs

Since you started I think West Sussex is gaining ground on East! I knew you were on it big time! I look forward to seening that new one!

4. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Hired a skip. Yesterday we cleared the patio of the contents of the old bathroom, having ripped it out and installed a new one. Today we cleared the shed out and all the stuff not needed from behind and the side of the shed. Tomorrow we will start on having a clear out of the loft - you can hardly get in it at at the moment :eek: We want to be able to get in there and put new loft boards down to make it easier to get around in there. Before that, we spent a week or so on the garden. Always something to do, though I have to say, I think I will be glad to get back to work - I am losing track of what day it is!

Auburn, MollyMay, Ma-dotcom and 6 others like this.
  5. Blackmogs

We'd do the loft but we cannot get rid of the junk as the tip is closed and even if it wasn't we aren't allowed out.

Auburn, Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  6. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Currently I am on a week self isolating as had a slight cough so my boss sent me home. Back to work on thursday which I think is day after tomorrow:D, see one week at home and no idea what day it is. Cant wait to get back to work (not a sentence I ever thought I would say:)) but as we are currently in a rental property we cant do anything practical except keep the garden tidy. We relocated last year and was just about to put our own house on the market when this all broke, not sure what the housing market will be doing when this all ends. So up in the air as everyone is.

Whatever you are all doing to keep sane, please just keep yourselves safe and well and see you on the other side():-)

dizzyme, Blackmogs, Auburn and 10 others like this.
  7. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Partly why we decided to hire a skip in the end. Even if the local tip was open, there is so much now that they charge you for to take down there - and then a limit on how much of certain things (i.e. rubble) can be taken each day, decided to do the skip thing. We can have it for two weeks and fill it at our leisure.

Blackmogs, Auburn, MollyMay and 3 others like this.
  8. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

As we retired 10 years ago we have at least got used to being with each other all day:)
    apart from not seeing the family which is hard and not going shopping! we are pottering as usual......bit of gardening so glad we are lucky enough to have a garden to go into. our local garden centre has a farm shop and is delivering fruit and veg and compost and plants so lucky there good job I keep a good larder and freezer cos getting an online delivery slot is impossible even though age dictates I should stay home.
    Am also trying to put my and hubbies family history into a way the family can see whats what but there is so much info! I do find it a bit tiring I think I sit a bit too much I try to walk about every so often not enough I think.:D

Eve, Blackmogs, Auburn and 4 others like this.
  9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I’m spending most of my time in the garden - as I said to someone earlier today, I’m surprised I’m not sprouting little green shoots out the top of my head ;)

When I’m not out there, I’m doing some family history for a friend and trying to fill in some of the gaps in my own tree. Trouble is, I keep getting sidetracked (what’s new) by finding stuff in the papers. The latest was an article about a 25 year old by the name of Mary, who had just tried to poison herself, this three weeks before she was due to marry her 4th husband - I kid you not :eek: Well, what could I do...... and yes, he would have been her 4th husband - the first lasted for 2 years of marriage and the second two less than a year each :nailbiting: My imagination has gone into overdrive and I’m wondering how the first three chaps met their respective ends.

I’m also reading and doing cross-stitch - and, no, I haven’t done any sorting out of cupboards or the like either :D

Eve, Blackmogs, Auburn and 4 others like this.
  10. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Like Sandiep we have been retired for around 10 years so we don't really expect to be allowed to resume normal life until late next year, assuming that they have developed a vaccine by then. That's an extremely depressing thought and if it wasn't for the fact that we are asked not to risk overwhelming the NHS I would rather take the risk in a sensibly cautious way of getting Covid-19 than have nearly two years of my life severely truncated.

In practical terms we are fortunate to live next to a village that has a 100 ac. common and quiet footpaths across a 50 ac. nature reserve to it. So we can get out and walk around 4-5 miles daily, only sharing the common with occasional dog walkers. Later in the day we have a daily FaceTime call with our delightful 14 month old granddaughter and her parents. We now speak to them far more frequently than we ever did before but it's not a substitute for cuddles. I keep meaning to paint the fences and clean the patio but haven't yet found the time!

Eve, Blackmogs, Auburn and 6 others like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not much different from our normal lives, really. Here in NSW school children will be returning to school on a roster basis of one day a week. That will commence in 3 weeks time. Beaches are reopening for swimming and surfing only. No laying in the sun. Australia has been extremely lucky. Many of our ill have been traced to a cruise ship. So there was an employee on there who was a carrier. One lady from our area was on the ship and she lost her life.
    So in our wisdom we decided to strip the French doors and restain them. I’m really happy I will not have the opportunity to repeat that in my lifetime.:rolleyes: Other than that we have been getting the garden up and running again and I have done some drawing and crafty stuff and staying up half the night watching tele. Then wondering why it’s so late when we wake up. Oh, and I made some yummy bread. No wonder the waistline is expanding.

Eve, Sandiep, Blackmogs and 3 others like this.
  12. Archie's Mum

One of the devasting outcomes of all this is that this Saturday is Anzac Day, probably the most special day on our calendar. We will not be having any public commemorations. So sad.

Sandiep, Blackmogs, Auburn and 3 others like this.
  13. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Well, I'm "crackered"!

My pre-virus routine was: get up 6am/7am, wander round the internet (Top Dog, etc), do a bit of housework, do a lot of Family Tree, get washed & dressed just before 12 noon ...

Now it's: get up 6am/7am, wander round the internet, realise it's nearly 9am, dash to get washed & dressed, turn on Skype and spend the next 3 hours "home schooling" the step-grandsons up in Derbyshire.

It started off fine, although I had to insist on 1 boy at a time (the 14y old is very competitive & "difficult").
    Then the school issued a timetable and the boys (& parents) insist on sticking to it. (And I do wish teachers wouldn't use the word "optional" - the boys translate it as "don't have to do it".)
    So instead of being able to concentrate on what I know (French, English, History, basic Maths & German ...) I am now "teaching" Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Drama :nailbiting:, Design, RE, complicated Maths, Computing :eek: ...

I reckon I'm working harder than the boys! Trying to read & print off the worksheets before "teaching" it.
    And this week the teachers have started putting the work up only on the timetabled day - so I've got no chance to prepare :eek:

Mucky house. Family Tree abandoned. Afternoon naps.

But the positive result is: My husband has now learned to wash the dishes:)
    And I've learned how to "Share Screens" :D

Jane

Eve, Findem, Sandiep and 13 others like this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Oh you poor thing. Grandparents deserve a medal at times. You in particular.
    Are you learning much? Or too busy to absorb it all.
    We had a visit from the bank manager with a great huge basket of apples and a Dutch card game thingy, apparently the game to keep us occupied and the apples came straight from the orchard of one of the staff (she said she’d bring some in for us) A lovely surprise. :D Some apples already dispersed over the road to the neighbours kids.

Eve, Half Hour, Sandiep and 3 others like this.
  15. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I retired (allegedly) 8 years ago and so had already developed a routine. I spend the mornings on the laptop doing research and keeping an eye on things here and then the afternoon is for “house” things like cutting the grass, housework etc. Things have not really changed that much apart from dog-walking. :sceptical:

Merlin the Labradog is 12 years old (going on 3) and is fine with just using the garden. However, my friend Sue died last summer and her pooch Shadow (nearly 12) has come to live with us. The only problem is that Shadow will not use the garden and so has to be taken for walks. :cool:

Living in a small market town, we are very lucky in that many of the shops and restaurants have now taken to making home deliveries – everyone knows each other and looks after each other. :) A pub in one of the local villages has started to supply “hampers”. They order everything in from their wholesalers, make up orders and then you collect them from the pub window – pay by BACS or Paypal... no problem and no shortages that way. :D

We have had volunteer groups set up who are willing to get shopping/collect prescriptions for folk who cannot do it. I shop once a week and the supermarket has strict distancing measures in place. We have a friend who is 81 and isolating. He has most things delivered but we pick up bits that he cannot get delivered and drop them off – at a distance. We then have shouted conversations (he is rather deaf :D) but it does at least give him face to face contact with other humans instead of just via emails. He is currently writing his memoirs and emails them out to us a couple of pages at a time! :)

However, I was looking at my calendar for May and it is full of cancellations – now no holiday, no hen night and no wedding to go to – to name just 3. :(

But still – the sun is currently shining and I have FITCHes and SMITHs to unravel... :nailbiting:

Stay safe everyone.

16. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

I can now draw my name in 3D :D

And I used to think a "Vanishing Point" was about a scary lorry :oops:

Jane

17. Archie's Mum

After Isolation.......
    ‘Where’s your husband?’
    ‘In the garden’
    ‘I didn’t see him’
    ‘You need to dig a little’.
    Day seven of home schooling...
    Testing whether or not chloroform has a smell.

Eve, Half Hour, Sandiep and 13 others like this.
  18. Archie's Mum

Our schools are open to the children of essential workers. At least here in NSW. So grandparents get leave to do their own thing. I’m sure some would rather do the schooling though.

Sandiep, Blackmogs, burt and 2 others like this.
  19. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Husband, son and daughter all still working. Daughter and SIL working. Me - only go out once a week to food shop (the highlight of my week:eek:). The greenhouse is full of seedlings, and I am waiting on the delivery of bedding/container plants later this month - finger's crossed. My 81 year old cousin, who was widowed just before Christmas is coping well, has no computer nothing, only a basic tv service, and cannot use a mobile etc. He has faced it all with such stoicism, has a face mask and shops for himself and his 91 year old cousin and wife:)

:) - had the grandchildren at the weekend. Daughter has taken all the leave she can and now has to go into work again. It was wonderful to do something 'normal', and hear how a 'nasty bug' has stopped my granddaughter from going to nursery and how she has to wait outside the shops, and cannot play with her friends if she sees them whilst out for a walk - lovely to hear it through the mind/words of a 3 year old (going on 30!).

@Blackmogs - if you trip over any Slatters\Slaughters, in the butchery business, especially a Samuel born second half of the 1790's - think of me please;)

20. Archie's Mum

We have no restrictions on children in shops. Although it’s not a good place for them to be as they seem to touch everything in sight.
    Poor little thing, it must be so hard for her to understand that she can’t play with her little friends.
    My grandson cant wait to see his mates in 3 weeks time when he is allowed back to school. If only for 1 day a week. At least it’s something.

Sandiep, Auburn and MollyMay like this.