Locks and Palmers

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by annabel, Apr 3, 2019.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Can anyone help my befuddled brain, I'm getting all confused- how many families am i looking at here? Sorry, it's going to be a bit long, I hope you can follow

Rebecca Palmer born abt 1852 in Newport, Wales, married Walter robert Newton in 1878 in Plymouth, as Rebecca Eastman Palmer

in 1861 she is with her parents Henry 1827 and Susan 1825 in Plymouth. She is the only one born in Wales RG 9; Piece: 1440; Folio: 129; Page: 23
    Looking at the more unusual names among her siblings, it seems the mmn is Lock, and there is indeed a Rebecca Blanch Palmer mmn Lock born then. I haven't found her parent's marriage

Henry is born in Oakhampton, and there is a 1828 baptism of a Henry Eastman Palmer born there, parents Henry and Christian

In 1851 Henry and Susan are in Newport with 2 visitors. Married "sister" Rebecca E Palmer 1826 and John E Palmer 8 months, both born Bideford HO107; Piece: 2452; Folio: 88; Page: 36. John seems to be John Eastman Palmer mmn Lock, I think the girls could be sisters, there are 2 likely ones in 1941

Rebecca Lock married John Palmer in 1849 in Bideford. I think she died as Rebecca Eastman Palmer in 1856, and as John Eastman Palmer he married Atilia Sophis Abell in 1859 in Plymouth.

Here's the confusing bit
    In 1861 RG 9; Piece: 1447; Folio: 109; Page: 7, John and Atilia are in East Stonehouse
    With them is Rebecca B Palmer born 1852 in Newport. She is again the only one not born in Devon.

So my questions are:
    How many Rebecca Palmers born Newport are there, and why can I only find one birth?
    Am I right that 2 Lock sisters married 2 Eastman Palmer brothers, or have I mixed it up?
    If so where is Susan's marriage, and who were her parents?

Thanks very much

Edit: I just found trees that say that Rebecca and Susan's parents were George Lock and Margaret Eastman! Have I mucked up how the Eastman name was passed down?
    :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Active Member

Rebecca Blanche Palmer married Arthur William P Dawe Dec Q 1878 Plymouth.

annabel likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I too couldn't find a birth reg for Rebecca Eastman Palmer (tried as Eastman and Lock), nor a marriage of Susan Lock to Henry Palmer.
    The best I could come up with was Henry Palmer and Susan Lake appearing on the same page June qtr 1851 Bristol 11 243

I did find the marriage of George Lock to Margaret Eastman 10/7/1809 in Bideford and on the 1841 census HO107 piece242 book8 folio 8 page12
    Mill Street Bideford sees George and Margaret plus children including Rebecca and Susan both with a yob as 1826

There is a bap for Margaret Eastman in Bideford 27/12/1789 parents Richard and Mary

annabel likes this.
  4. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

Thank you both. So the birth reg is for the daughter of Rebecca. I'm wondering if the Lock sisters and Palmer brothers were cousins given the Eastman connection. More work to do...

Dogsday and MollyMay like this.
  5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

There are two Rebeccas in 1871 too. Rebecca Palmer in Plymouth and RB Palmer in E Stonehouse.

Dogsday and Jellylegs like this.
  6. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

There is also an Eastman link on the Palmer side. Henry b 1826's mother was Christian Branton Eastman Lewis, illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Lewis.

Dogsday and MollyMay like this.
  7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

My guess is that Henry and Susan didn't marry and didn't register their daughter Rebecca.
    The two Rebeccas would be cousins.

Dogsday and Jellylegs like this.