Long time away from Family History research.

Discussion in 'Northamptonshire' started by The Artful Dodger, Nov 26, 2019.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

It has been a while and I've allowed my subs. to Anc. and FMP to lapse. From research I did a long time back, I think I have discovered my 5X Gt-grandfather - John Rowledge/Rowlidge. The source for this a baptism for a John Rowledge baptised 15 Jan. 1726 in Flore, Northants.

This son, John, would appear to have married Frances Wright in Churchover, Warwicks. [after Banns]. Churchover is approx 20 miles from Flore. They had five children - all baptisms found in either Churchover or Church Lawford along with likely burials.

More on their children in other forums as needed. What I am trying to determine is the maiden name of John's mother and details of their marriage. All the baptism tells me was that the parents were John and Mary.

Any information on this couple along with other children would be appreciated.

Bay Horse, AnnB, Archie's Mum and 4 others like this.
  2. The Artful Dodger

It is quite possible that I will have wait until after Christmas when I am presented with subscriptions to Ancestry and/or FMP.

In the meantime I'll just patiently wait and see if I get any responses.:sceptical:

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I looked on FMP but their Northants records are pretty scant - they do have the baptism original.

If you are looking for a new sub - do check online for half price deals.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Would you like me to whisper in Santa’s ear?

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Nixon...:headbang:
    Just kidding.
    The only one I could find on my only source is a John Roulledge and Mary Sowerby way over in Brampton Cumberland on 14/4/1714. Bit too far away I gather.

6. The Artful Dodger

I agree - too far away.

Nixon is/was a definite :headbang: however I think they are resolved.
    I do though have a question about Mary Rowledge my 5X great aunt bapt. 31 Oct 1762 who married William Nixon 4 Jul 1785 and was buried 17 Dec 1818. According to Warwickshire Burials 1813-1910 Mary was 55 years old and was living in Rugby. Her 2 sons Samuel and Thomas age 21 and 17 were convicted of Highway Robbery and sentenced to death on 28 Mar 1818. Both had their sentences commuted Transportation for Life. Samuel left on the SHIPLEY c.Jul 1818 and Thomas c.Dec.1818 on the BARING.
    My question is --- how can I find the cause of death for Mary? It was such a traumatic period in her life and I wonder if these events contributed to her death?

7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

From the parish registers of Flore, Northamptonshire via Ancestry:

5 August 1722 John son of John & Mary ROWLEDGE bapt
    16 February 1723/24 Mary daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE bapt
    15 January 1726/27 John son of John & Mary ROWLEDGE bapt
    20 November 1730 Samuel son of John & Mary ROWLEDGE bapt
    15 September 1734 Ruth daughter of John & Mary ROWLEDGE bapt

More to follow hopefully

Janet

8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I cannot find a marriage on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index for a John ROWLEDGE (or variants) to a Mary. However, John may well have had a brother Francis ROWLEDGE as there is a Francis ROWLEDGE married to a Jane who is having children at Flore at around the same time. This could tie in with the baptisms at Flore (via Northamptonshire Baptismal Index pre 1700) for a Francis son of Francis & Annie ROWLEDGE at Flore on 19 June 1692 and that of a John son of Francis & Annie ROWLEDGE at Flore on 27 January 1695

Burial at Flore on 20 August 1722 of John son of John ROWLEDGE, Labourer, & Mary his wife, an infant
    Burial at Flore on 3 March 1766 for John ROWLIDGE

No burial that I can find at Flore for Mary, but there is a burial at West Haddon on 13 August 1800 for a Mary ROWLIDGE, widow, which could be a possibility.

None of which, unfortunately, gives us a maiden name for Mary wife of John ROWLEDGE!!

Janet